WC SF: May 20 GDT - Canada vs. Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art Vandelay

Jan 14, 2004
Stockholm
www.eliteprospects.com
[IMAGE]http://expressen.se/content/1/c6/59/07/33/9a220c73.jpg[/IMAGE]

I dont know nor remember from the game if Crosbys low stance is becasue of already being hit or if he just was positioned that way when Hannula crosschecked him.

[IMAGE]http://expressen.se/content/1/c6/59/07/41/b4e428b8.jpg[/IMAGE]
[IMAGE]http://expressen.se/content/1/c6/59/07/28/e83ac745.jpg[/IMAGE]

Last edited:

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
SectionX said:
I think Crosby actually has a chance to become as big as Gretzky.

You know, like 12 months ago I probably would have laughed at you for saying that, but I'm not laughing anymore.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Congrats to Sweden and now just revenge my Russia and beat those Czechs in the finals. I just don't want to see loads of "Is Zbynek Irgl the next one?" threads overtaking the forum.

Congrats to Finland for winning today! :eek: :yo: :shakehead :biglaugh: :cry: :confused:

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
What the hell was Hannula thinking anyway? This is almost as foolish as Wade Belak sucker punching Andy Hilbert, what a dumb thing to do.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Dallas Flames Fan said:
Once again, this proves that Crosby is not there yet as his fans claim....he needs to learn how to win important games.

I seem to remember him winning a pretty big game in North Dakota about 15 months ago.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Crosby is a monster...gets crosschecked in the face by a dirty sweede and comes back for the third and goes on a break away, then after him and Bergeron go at it! all i can say is..wow...he also is tied with Joe Sakic and passed Gretzky in tournament points, this guy is going to be HUGE!!!! i love how he can skate normally 1 second then get a big burst of speed and split the d like there is nobody there. Also plz don't be saying we lost because he could not win it for us..he may be Canada's best player but he's only 18 and played 1 NHL season, by age 20+ you can say that all you want.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
GuloGulo said:
Imo he played an outstanding tournament.

He can score goals, but I have never liked him. It is what he say in interveiws and how he sometimes act on the ice. Andreas Karlsson is on that list too.

QcS

Sep 13, 2003
au Québec!
Visit site
Nihilism said:
Well said. Canada's problem today was goaltending, not Crosby.

I disagree with half of your statement. The problem today for Team canada was neither Crosby OR the goaltending. Denis didn`t have much chance on many of the goals. Team Canada just got beat by a better team, that's it.

Congrats to the Swedes i guess, i don`t really care for a team OR this tournament, i'm watching the NHL playoffs and the Mem cup, but i guess congrats if it's important in your country.

The bigger congrats was for the win when it actually mattered (Olympics) over all the other countries, Sweden is presently #1 (even if the czechs beat them in the finals in this consolation prize tournament).

I've always disliked this tournament, not for the intention, but for the fact that it means absolutely nothing. It's the best of what? best in the world? no, there's all stars playing in north america. Best in what? nothing. I know it's popular in europe, i just don't get it. It would be awesome if everyone could go, then we'd have another olympics or world cup where ALL the best were there.

Of course, i guess it's nice for Latvia right now.. getting people to visit your country. ;)

p.s. before anyone bashes me, i'm not a fan of any of the countries that was at the tournament, INCLUDING canada.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Krm500 said:
He can score goals, but I have never liked him. It is what he say in interveiws and how he sometimes act on the ice. Andreas Karlsson is on that list too.

Nah Andreas Karlsson? He just seems like a really nice harmless person, son of a pastor and all... ;)

I think he (Karlsson) if anyone have played really well this tournament, defenitly above my expectations.

On Hannula, I do feel that he didn't do it intentionally (trying to take out Crosby). Kronwall is standing between Hannula and the net and I don't think Hannula saw the puck go in. I think he just saw someone poke at our goalie and reacted, in a extremely stuipid manner considering the cirumstances. I mean Hannula have played at a high level for 7-8 years now and never done anything stuipid, why would he now intentionally try to crosscheck someone in the face?

High crosschecks aren't unusual if you take a poke at the goalie, the big diffrence is that had not Crosby scored he would he put his arms up to protect himself and Hannula might have gotten a 2 for Crosschecking. I think anyone who follows the game understands that. The big problem where that Hannula didn't react to Crosby smile-ing and celebrating a goal and followed through with the cross check, that where a major braincramp.

I have no problem if Hannula gets a suspension for the final tomorrow, you are responsible for your actions. But I don't get the talk about longer suspensions, its not like it where a Bertuzzi/McSorley kind of thing.

Last edited:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Leph28 said:
I've always disliked this tournament, not for the intention, but for the fact that it means absolutely nothing. It's the best of what? best in the world? no, there's all stars playing in north america. Best in what? nothing. I know it's popular in europe, i just don't get it. It would be awesome if everyone could go, then we'd have another olympics or world cup where ALL the best were there.

I guess its the best of the 22 NHL teams that don't make the SC quaterfinals.

Jan 5, 2006
Lion of the North said:
I dont know nor remember from the game if Crosbys low stance is becasue of already being hit or if he just was positioned that way when Hannula crosschecked him.

Was thinking about the same thing...
I dont like nor am I protecting what he did. But Hannula have never been the kind of player that goes out and try to hurt other players.
I have only seen the incident one time so I cant be sure, but I thought it looked like when Hannula started the movement to crosscheck Crosby it seemed like the stick was at about the height of the upper arm. But then Crosby went lower in his stance and he got hit at the neck or something instead.
On the other hand he didnt have to have the stick so high at all.
I just think he wanted to do a standard push/crosscheck to show Crosby not to be to aggresive on the Swedish goaltender.

But I cant be sure of this...

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Ola said:
Nah Andreas Karlsson? He just seems like a really nice harmless person, son of a pastor and all... ;)

I think he (Karlsson) if anyone have played really well this tournament, defenitly above my expectations.

On Hannula, I do feel that he didn't do it intentionally (trying to take out Crosby). Kronwall is standing between Hannula and the net and I don't think Hannula saw the puck go in. I think he just saw someone poke at our goalie and reacted, in a extremely stuipid manner considering the cirumstances. I mean Hannula have played at a high level for 7-8 years now and never done anything stuipid, why would he now intentionally try to crosscheck someone in the face?

High crosschecks aren't unusual if you take a poke at the goalie, the big diffrence is that had not Crosby scored he would he put his arms up to protect himself. I think anyone who follows the game understands that. The big problem where that Hannula didn't react to Crosby smile-ing and celebrating a goal and followed through with the cross check, that where a major braincramp.

Yeah you see stuff like this in the NHL...though not a high crosscheck to the face but maybe knock you down or something when you keep whacking at the pads of the goalie telling you "back off he has the puck". Was a dirty hit but Crosby to me seemed to embellish it a bit to make it look worse, or am i just a dumbass who doesn't know anything?

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
Lion of the North said:
[IMAGE]http://expressen.se/content/1/c6/59/07/33/9a220c73.jpg[/IMAGE]

[IMAGE]http://expressen.se/content/1/c6/59/07/41/b4e428b8.jpg[/IMAGE]
[IMAGE]http://expressen.se/content/1/c6/59/07/28/e83ac745.jpg[/IMAGE]

This guys is starting to remind me of the Ruutu brothers... Must be the Finnish in him.
:p:

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Ola said:

Well I can't remember now but must be something he said that has made me not like him. It's basiclly him and Hannula from the SEL.

ShadowFax

Mar 10, 2004
SectionX said:
I think Crosby actually has a chance to become as big as Gretzky.

Not to start anything. But with Crosby's game today he now has outscored Gretzky who had 15 points in his only World Championship as a 21 year old.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
ShadowFax said:
Not to start anything. But with Crosby's game today he now has outscored Gretzky who had 15 points in his only World Championship as a 21 year old.

Also Bergeron is 1 point behind and crosby's tied Joe Sakic's scoring of last year at 16 and still has 1 game in hand, let's hope for a 4 point night for 20 points and 3 points for Bergeron to surpass Sakic and Gretzky. What's the record for most points in a world championship?

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site

He was standing straight up with his arms raised before he was attacked.

Sweden won the game, but embarrassed themselves with such goon tactics. It was a clearly an attempt to injure. Shame on Swedish hockey.

yarre

Oct 13, 2005
Gothenburg
JamieG said:
He was standing straight up with his arms raised before he was attacked.

Sweden won the game, but embarrassed themselves with such goon tactics. It was a clearly an attempt to injure. Shame on Swedish hockey.

You really think that was a tactic? Haha, please, if it was a tactic to play like that, why would we use it after he scored a goal so Canada could score another. If you really think that you are just plain stupid, what he did was nothing short of a brain-shotdown, I have seen it in other games after a goal has been scored, it happends, players get frusterated or whatever and they do ugly stuff like that but to think of it as tactic... well, that is just dumb, if we wanted to take out Crosby we should have used someone bigger, and earlier in the game, and probably gone for his knees or something like that, a crosschecking after a goal isn't something new but it is sure is ugly...

Good try trying to bash us because of that, loser.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
66-87-29 said:
Also Bergeron is 1 point behind and crosby's tied Joe Sakic's scoring of last year at 16 and still has 1 game in hand, let's hope for a 4 point night for 20 points and 3 points for Bergeron to surpass Sakic and Gretzky. What's the record for most points in a world championship?

Does Yzerman still hold the record? At least Crosby would tying or passing his hockey idol.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
yarre said:
You really think that was a tactic? Haha, please, if it was a tactic to play like that, why would we use it after he scored a goal so Canada could score another. If you really think that you are just plain stupid, what he did was nothing short of a brain-shotdown, I have seen it in other games after a goal has been scored, it happends, players get frusterated or whatever and they do ugly stuff like that but to think of it as tactic... well, that is just dumb, if we wanted to take out Crosby we should have used someone bigger, and earlier in the game, and probably gone for his knees or something like that, a crosschecking after a goal isn't something new but it is sure is ugly...

If you guys did do that i wonder how big of a backlash there would be...it definatly would be HUGE!

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
yarre said:

It was a blatant attempt to take Canada's best player out of the game who had just given Canada life again and got them back into the game.

yarre

Oct 13, 2005
Gothenburg
JamieG said:
It was a blatant attempt to take Canada's best player out of the game who had just given Canada life again and got them back into the game.

Yeah so he ran back to our coach, asked him if he should attack him and did it in just a split second? Wow... good logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad