WC SF: May 20 GDT - Canada vs. Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Dallas Flames Fan said:
Once again, this proves that Crosby is not there yet as his fans claim....he needs to learn how to win important games.

What are some other examples of him not being there yet?

gimzo23

Jan 5, 2006
66-87-29 said:
Also Bergeron is 1 point behind and crosby's tied Joe Sakic's scoring of last year at 16 and still has 1 game in hand, let's hope for a 4 point night for 20 points and 3 points for Bergeron to surpass Sakic and Gretzky. What's the record for most points in a world championship?

Wasn't that Joe Thornton at last year's WC?

yarre

Oct 13, 2005
Gothenburg
66-87-29 said:
If you guys did do that i wonder how big of a backlash there would be...it definatly would be HUGE!

Yeah ofcourse, I am just saying that it is really stupid to say things like "shame on swedish icehockey" because ONE player got frusterated after letting up a goal. A tactic wouldn't be done like that, not one that gives your player a 5-minutes penalty after letting in a goal...

"Hey guys, we just let in a goal, lets attack their goalscorer so we can let them score another goal and maybe tie the game"...

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
JamieG said:
It was a blatant attempt to take Canada's best player out of the game who had just given Canada life again and got them back into the game.

OMG!!! CONSPIRACY!!!

That's as bad as Wayne Gretzky saying everyone's out to get us becasue we are canadian a few Olympics ago. :biglaugh:

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
Yeah so he ran back to our coach, asked him if he should attack him and did it in just a split second? Wow... good logic.

No, that is your logic and your words.

I am saying it was a deliberate attempt to injure Crosby because he was Canada's best player and he just got Canada back into the game. To intentionally try to injure the best player because it gives you a better shot of winning the game is a shameful way to act. And that's what happened. Crosby scored and rallied Canda. Sweden tried to injure him, and Sweden won the game. They won, but it's still shameful.

How convenient to write it off as a "brain cramp". That's crap, you're wrong. A braincramp is a bad pass that gets picked off, purposely trying to injure the best player in the game when he's defenseless is shameful.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
66-87-29 said:
OMG!!! CONSPIRACY!!!

That's as bad as Wayne Gretzky saying everyone's out to get us becasue we are canadian a few Olympics ago. :biglaugh:

Oh right. You're right, I'm sure it had NOTHING to do with the fact that it was the best player in the tournament, Sidney Crosby! He was probably aiming for Dupont and just read the numbers wrong and just "happened" to take out Crosby.

yarre

Oct 13, 2005
Gothenburg
JamieG said:

I am saying it was a deliberate attempt to injure Crosby because he was Canada's best player and he just got Canada back into the game. To intentionally try to injure the best player because it gives you a better shot of winning the game is a shameful way to act. And that's what happened. Crosby scored and rallied Canda. Sweden tried to injure him, and Sweden won the game. They won, but it's still shameful.

How convenient to write it off as a "brain cramp". That's crap, you're wrong. A braincramp is a bad pass that gets picked off, purposely trying to injure the best player in the game when he's defenseless is shameful.

Like I said, your logic is quite stupid, you are calling him = Sweden, then it would be backed by our coach, but how the hell when he did it right after the goal? And answer me this, why would he take a 5-minutes penalty right after Canada scored? Tactic? No, stupidity! And that is done by one player alone.

My god, Hannula showed more logic when he did that than you are doing now.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
JamieG said:
I am saying it was a deliberate attempt to injure Crosby because he was Canada's best player and he just got Canada back into the game.

I don't think it had anything to do with Crosby as a player. Had Metropolit scored that goal, Hannula would have done the same thing. Hannula was, more or less, protecting his goaltender but stepped WAY over the line. It had nothing to do with intentionally taking out Canada's best player.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
JamieG said:
I am saying it was a deliberate attempt to injure Crosby because he was Canada's best player and he just got Canada back into the game.

:/

He took a whack at the puck and it went in and then he crosschecked him at the face, did he know the puck went in to put Canada back into the game? no he didn't, he was doing what players do although he went extreme and was dealt with and will get suspended for it. You see this all the time in the NHL (of course not crosschecks to the face), when a player keeps whacking at the puck the other team knocks you off the puck or whatever to protect the goalie, that's it! yes, he could have done it in a better manner then be dirty and you heard it from people who watch him all the time he doesn't do this stuff at all and i'd believe them over people who just watched him 1 game and automatically think he's trying to injure a player. he's not Marchment or McSorley.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
Like I said, your logic is quite stupid, you are calling him = Sweden, then it would be backed by our coach, but how the hell when he did it right after the goal? And answer me this, why would he take a 5-minutes penalty right after Canada scored? Tactic? No, stupidity! And that is done by one player alone.

He represents Sweden, he's a Swedish player. Has Sweden disowned him? Did they say it was shameful? Have they banned him for life? Have they said it had no place in the game?

As to the other part, he didn't know what was going to be called. He didn't know if the refs would give him 5 minutes. And Canada didn't get a 5 minute major, because of the scrum that usually occurs after a team intentionally tries to injure the star player. They only got 3 minutes, that's a pretty damn good trade off for trying to injure the other team's best player.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
JamieG said:

So basically you are arguing that he did something with a pretty low probability of injuring Crosby with a huge possibility of Canada getting a PP to help Sweden win the game? That is absurd.

This is ignoring that this is something that has pretty much never happened before with the player or the team. Hannula is no Bobby Clarke.

He probably tried to give Crosby a cross check in the back to send the message that you can't poke at our goalie. Being useless he failed at doing so and will deservedly be suspended. Lets not get carried away with conspiracy theories here.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
He took a whack at the puck and it went in and then he crosschecked him at the face, did he know the puck went in to put Canada back into the game? no he didn't, he was doing what players do although he went extreme and was dealt with and will get suspended for it.

Give me a break! You must not be serious. He didn't know the puck went in and that Canada had scored? Did he think Crosby had his arms raised and was smiling just for the hell of it??

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
JamieG said:
Give me a break! You must not be serious. He didn't know the puck went in and that Canada had scored? Did he think Crosby had his arms raised and was smiling just for the hell of it??

Wow, this will never end! :help:

:deadhorse

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
There were other penaltys that's why it was just a 3 minute penalty instead of a 5.

That's what I'm saying. You can attack the opponent's star player and know that there is going to be a scrum that happens and the opponent is going to take at least one 2 minute penalty to counter your attempt to injure.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
JamieG said:
He represents Sweden, he's a Swedish player. Has Sweden disowned him? Did they say it was shameful? Have they banned him for life? Have they said it had no place in the game?

Banned for life? Lol.

Canadian players have done much worse things while playing for the national team and the main reaction from canadians seems to be that they do what it takes to win.

In the NHL Hannula would be suspended 3 games or so. And that is probably what Hannula will get for this.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
JamieG said:
That's what I'm saying. You can attack the opponent's star player and know that there is going to be a scrum that happens and the opponent is going to take at least one 2 minute penalty to counter your attempt to injure.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
First off i wanna say that Sweden is the team that plays the best team game in international tournaments. They were a veteran team and it showed against Canada. I could search for all excuses possible but Sweden played awsome and they deserved to win. I cant even blame Denis cuz many of the goals were tipped or screened. Canada showed a lot of guts for a young team and it was nice to see. That Crosby line was clearly the best of the tournament.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
Freudian said:
Banned for life? Lol.

Canadian players have done much worse things while playing for the national team and the main reaction from canadians seems to be that they do what it takes to win.

In the NHL Hannula would be suspended 3 games or so. And that is probably what Hannula will get for this.
This incident looked like Gary Suter on Paul Kariya.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
jcpenny said:
First off i wanna say that Sweden is the team that plays the best team game in international tournaments. They were a veteran team and it showed against Canada. I could search for all excuses possible but Sweden played awsome and they deserved to win. I cant even blame Denis cuz many of the goals were tipped or screened. Canada showed a lot of guts for a young team and it was nice to see. That Crosby line was clearly the best of the tournament.

You got any heighlights to the goals? i only saw the 4th and 5th goal by Sweden and the 3rd and 4th goal by Canada. The fourth goal was not Denis fault, you're not at fault when it's a tip, the 5th i kinda forgot what it looks like.

yarre

Oct 13, 2005
Gothenburg
66-87-29 said:
You got any heighlights to the goals? i only saw the 4th and 5th goal by Sweden and the 3rd and 4th goal by Canada. The fourth goal was not Denis fault, you're not at fault when it's a tip, the 5th i kinda forgot what it looks like.

I doubt he could have stopped any of the goals, the first goal he had two players covering his sight and the shot went into his glovehand corner. A real bomb. (Niklas Kronwall)

The second goal had some weird bounce to it so it went off to a Swede (J Jönsson) so Denis was out of place, it went in the same place as the first goal.

Third goal, the rebound hits a canadian defensemen's (I think it was Brad Stuart) skates and into the goal, maybe he could have given away a better rebound on that one but it was a fluke-goal.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
66-87-29 said:
:/

He took a whack at the puck and it went in and then he crosschecked him at the face, did he know the puck went in to put Canada back into the game? no he didn't.

Can we call this "the Dale Hunter Defense?"

YNWA

May 20, 2006
It all started with Darryl Sly in 1961.
His "treatment" of Nisse Nilsson was still apparent in the 80s, when my father met Nilsson. He still suffered from pain in his head at that time.
The "behaviour" from Canadiens continued throughout the years, and culminated with the hit on Forsberg (our, and at times the worlds, best player ever) by Niedermayer.
The so called "assault" by Hannula on Crosby, is mearly the beginning of a retalliation that has been called for since the early sixties!
If you Canadiens want to whine, go ahead, but I´m sure that you know, in your hearts, that you may have got just a little more than you bargained for with your foul play over the years!
Me, I'm just enjoying this!
Up untill 1996 i thought that you Canadiens played the game fair, but then I watched the world cup game where you faced Russia. Terry Gregson was the "referee" of that game. It was just horrible to watch. Brendan Shanahan deliberately slashed Valerij Kamensky in the face, and got 2 min for slashing. Just imagine what you Canadiens would have whined if, for example, Hannula had slashed Crosby in the face, and just gotten 2 mins in the sin-bin.

The spearings to the groin by canadiens in the world championships a few years ago, finally brought me over the edge into blatantly hating YOU, and all that your "hockey-philosophie" stands for!

Just my two cents (+ interest!!)

Go Sweeeeeeden!!!

Ps. Dale Hunter on Pat Lafontaine anyone?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad