OT: Watcha watchin'?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The title is before Christmas so I’d say no
Nightmare Before Christmas. The allusion to Dickens' Ebenezer Scrooge story is obvious, and as a derivative work it's genre-assigned by the original, similar to Spaceballs being a scifi film. So, a Christmas film.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Ok, I can see the argument for Die Hard not being a Christmas movie, but Home Alone?

The movie where the kid is left at home while his parents went on a Christmas vacation? With the robbers that robbed empty homes (because the owners are gone for Christmas)? And the kid uses (among other things) Christmas ornaments to combat said robbers? And he asks a Santa impersonator to bring his family back home for Christmas? And literally every song in the movie is a Christmas carol?

How is that not a Christmas movie?

Because the movie would be the exact same if the family had left for any vacation whether it was Thanksgiving, summer break, whatever. Main plot and themes of the movie are just the funny aspects of a kid left home alone defending his house with funny kid tricks. Great movie and I do enjoy watching it when it’s on TV this time of year I just don’t consider it a Christmas movie. I think Home Alone 2 is more of a Christmas movie, has more specific Christmas themes in the plot.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Because the movie would be the exact same if the family had left for any vacation whether it was Thanksgiving, summer break, whatever. Main plot and themes of the movie are just the funny aspects of a kid left home alone defending his house with funny kid tricks. Great movie and I do enjoy watching it when it’s on TV this time of year I just don’t consider it a Christmas movie. I think Home Alone 2 is more of a Christmas movie, has more specific Christmas themes in the plot.

And Miracle on 34th Street would be the same movie if you switched out Santa for the Easter Bunny.

And It's a Wonderful Life has literally nothing to do with Christmas. You could make the same movie in the middle of summer with a GoFundMe campaign for the idiot George Bailey who handed his drunk uncle the assets of his entire business in cash.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
And Miracle on 34th Street would be the same movie if you switched out Santa for the Easter Bunny.

And It's a Wonderful Life has literally nothing to do with Christmas. You could make the same movie in the middle of summer with a GoFundMe campaign for the idiot George Bailey who handed his drunk uncle the assets of his entire business in cash.

Wrong. Christmas spirit and all. Take your smut opinion elsewhere. :popcorn:

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I watched a Polanski movie, "The Ghost Writer," for the first time the other day. It was great. Had the feel of a classic Hitchcock movie. Highly recommended.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So just watching "Reacher" on amazon prime. I've read all the Reacher books and was very disappointed that they chose 5'7" Tom Cruise for the role in the movie. Good to see they have an actor that reflects the book in the amazon prime series.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
Been catching up on "The Expanse" lately, and just started "Counterpart" last night, both on Prime.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Just re-watched the season one finale of Resident Alien and have the first two episodes of season 2 recorded and ready to go. Love this show, it's one of the few that had me literally laughing out loud at some point most episodes. I hope that season two lives up to the first one.

Last edited:

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Been catching up on "The Expanse" lately, and just started "Counterpart" last night, both on Prime.
Love The Expanse. Haven’t started the newest season just because I’ll be sad when it’s over as it’s the last season. Also kinda wanna get a new/better tv to watch it on.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
Love The Expanse. Haven’t started the newest season just because I’ll be sad when it’s over as it’s the last season. Also kinda wanna get a new/better tv to watch it on.

I've been watching it on my 17" laptop screen, with earbuds, and it's surprisingly very good and intimate this way. I guess having the screen about a foot from your face will do that!

And yeah, I'm not looking forward to the end. I'm trying to take my time, not binge it. Still in the middle of season 2.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I've been watching it on my 17" laptop screen, with earbuds, and it's surprisingly very good and intimate this way. I guess having the screen about a foot from your face will do that!

And yeah, I'm not looking forward to the end. I'm trying to take my time, not binge it. Still in the middle of season 2.
That’s a good way to watch it. Watch for the Adam Savage (MythBusters) cameo at the end of season 2. He’s the reason I got into the show, he’s a huge fan.

Reactions: Bub

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Fam and I started watching “The Afterparty” on Apple TV+. It’s a pretty funny “who done it “.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: