Rumor: VHN: Having spoken to four NHL GM’s just today, VHN can report that there are (at least) two Metro Division teams still interested Miller

Status
Not open for further replies.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
and still canucks fans are looking to trade miller for picks and prospects.

the reason, why you want to trade him, might also apply to teams interested in him. this impacts the value they assign to the potential acquisition of miller. ever thought about that?
I'm pretty sure Canucks fans know that having one year left on contract/cost of re-signing affect his trade value, its not hard to understand

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
The answer is canuck fans want to have their cake and to eat it to. They want to benefit from the advantages of increased cap space by trading JT Miller and still get a bounty for him. Unfortunately for the Canucks this isn't Christmas, and other teams aren't Santa Claus.

Usually you only get one or the other in the NHL and since cap Dollars are pretty much allocated for the coming season there's not much chance JT Miller will be reaping a bounty until next summer.
and next summer jt miller is a free agent and can walk for free.

if miller isn't traded until the trade deadline , i probably will open twice a week a thread about it.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Try as the media might to create a narrative about a preseason deadline to trade Miller.... I don't see any likelihood of the Canucks trading him before the season begins. Everyone is absolutely capped out and no GM is giddy-enough about his team to trade futures right now either. No other team can make a trade without opening up a different hole in their roster and it is simply too late in the off-season to do major surgery to your roster. A trade now would guarantee a return that is pennies-on-the-dollar.

The Canucks are much better off waiting until halfway through the season and seeing which GMs are willing to spend their futures then.

If the Canucks really wanted to trade him, did they miss their best shot at the last trade deadline or at the draft? Probably. But that doesn't mean they have to sell now at what is very clearly a low point in the market.

Reactions: sting101

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I'd say it's guaranteed that more than just 2 Metro teams have interest in Miller. Every time I saw Vancouver play last year, he was their best player. His point totals weren't inflated by opportunity or linemates. He was earning the opportunities, and carrying his linemates. He looked like a legit play-driving superstar.

He's a player that could change a team's season, not just your average rental. I expect a big return, or Vancouver can just wait until the deadline.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm certain its far more exhausting to canuck fans
It is sort of a make or break moment …
Are they a strong young team on the rise, just another adrift in the mushy middle, or destined for a rebuild?
Are they the Green / Benning tire fire or the Boudreau ballers?
Is JT Pavelski or Parise?
Waiting for trader Jim to make his first significant mark has got all the tweakers tweaking
Good to read all the other teams’ fans povs though…cheers

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Devils will probably keep tabs on this as Miller would be a nice addition to the forward group.

I think the price will exceed what they would be willing to spend as a rental though. Would be a bit foolish to pay for a first line rental even if the Devils are on track for the playoffs. With how young this team is, they definitely need a taste for the playoffs first before you dish out a massive package to bring in Miller.

The only thing I could see making some sense is something around Miller for Severson if both teams are in the playoff race. Would be a solid way for both teams to capitalize on the value of their rentals, without exactly selling either one off.

Last edited:

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
With how cap strapped a lot of the Metro teams are, a JT Miller trade only makes sense at the deadline when those teams have accrued some cap space and Vancouver can retain.

It doesn't make any sense for the Canucks to trade him now as they are in a weak division where you can make a legit case for five different teams to win the division and a legit case for the same five to miss the playoffs. The Canucks should play out the first third or so of the season to see where they are. If they are on the outside looking in by American Thanksgiving than they can make preparations to trade guys. Give how wide open the Pacific is, I think it's worth it to see where this team is.

Reactions: andora

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
As an Islanders fan, I learned all I needed about the Vancouver hockey media when Matt Moulson was named 'Matt Coulson' in an article in 2011, when he was well on his way to his 2nd 30 goal season.

I've never bought the JT Miller to the metro division player hype. I don't think Miller is at Zibanejad's level, and the return + his contract will be predicated on Zibanejad + because of his recent numbers. That's a loss right away, and imo a huge loss on the back end of the contract he'll get.

Kadri's cost of acquisition was too much for NYI (because of the asset cost of moving salary). The cost of acquiring Miller would be significantly higher. Also, Kadri would have been an instant fit with NYI's mo/style. Miller, not so much. I would be absolutely shocked if NYI had any interest.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
The answer is canuck fans want to have their cake and to eat it to. They want to benefit from the advantages of increased cap space by trading JT Miller and still get a bounty for him. Unfortunately for the Canucks this isn't Christmas, and other teams aren't Santa Claus.

Usually you only get one or the other in the NHL and since cap Dollars are pretty much allocated for the coming season there's not much chance JT Miller will be reaping a bounty until next summer.

Aatu Raty may never be half the player JT Miller is, but Miller comes with a salary that the Islanders want no part of especially since some of their own players took discounts to resign here. Chemistry matters, and especially so when cap dollars are tight, Raty is a very good prospect even if he may never be a JT Miller. But he won't cause problems with our teams salary structure like JT Miller will.
This is all completely misinformed. The Canucks, or any other team depending on retention and what salary goes the other way, can easily afford Miller's salary this season.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
At this stage, the Canucks should just wait until they see if the team is actually good or not. Loads of talent on that team and a lot of the big pieces you need to win. For whatever reason, the chemistry with their offence has been abysmal. If that clicks, however, Vancouver has a winning team.

If the team looks good after a few months, re-sign Miller, find a way to upgrade the defence with 1-2 solid top four shut down guys, and roll the dice.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
According to Rob Simpson, Vancouver Hockey Now spoke with 4 NHL GMS on August 26th and he is confirming and reporting that at least 2 Metro teams are very much still interested in JT Miller. Timing and Canuck's price point on Miller is what it will come down to.

Rob Simpson is very credible btw and doesn't usually leak out information such as this. He is well regarded in NHL circles and have worked for NHL network, NESN in Boston and MSGN.

Curious which 2 Metro teams are still in on Miller and what their current offer is that obviously is not good enough from the Canucks standpoint.

Revisit closer to the deadline to see which teams are contenders and need a boost.

My guess. The NYIs will be nowhere near playoff contender status by that point in the season.

Get ready to be shocked.
I’d be shocked if he is. The hold up is clearly the Vancouver ask vs what the market is offering.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
As a Van fan:

1st
Peeke
Marchenko

would be a yes. I've seen CLB use Peeke in several proposals but he's a young guy playing huge minutes for them with a big frame, so im curious why he shows up in proposals.
Because it's usually non Jackets fans that put him in proposals. Most Jackets fans don't want to give up any of our RHD. Yes we have players in the pipeline but we need roster players as well.

And IMO Laine and Miller on the same team is pointless imo. They both use the same wheelhouse and we're not adding someone to the roster who is going to take up Laines PP time.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
At this stage, the Canucks should just wait until they see if the team is actually good or not. Loads of talent on that team and a lot of the big pieces you need to win. For whatever reason, the chemistry with their offence has been abysmal. If that clicks, however, Vancouver has a winning team.

If the team looks good after a few months, re-sign Miller, find a way to upgrade the defence with 1-2 solid top four shut down guys, and roll the dice.

Correction, it was abysmal at the beginning of last season, after Bruce took over it exploded. Mind you we'll see if that was just an extended honeymoon period or something more sustainable.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Correction, it was abysmal at the beginning of last season, after Bruce took over it exploded. Mind you we'll see if that was just an extended honeymoon period or something more sustainable.

Vancouver has guys like Demko, Hugues, Pettersson, and loads of depth. These are very hard pieces to replace. Like I said before, they are 1-2 good shut down d-men away from having a very solid and well rounded team.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I’d be shocked if he is. The hold up is clearly the Vancouver ask vs what the market is offering.
And I think that ask is because they haven’t made up their damn minds that they actually want to trade him yet. I think once they realize he isn’t coming back their ask will change, but they may not be until the trade deadline.

At this point they may as well keep him for now unless they get a great offer as they’ve already missed the opportunity to possibly replace him with the opened up capspace.

Tusks Up

Aug 14, 2022
I'm certain its far more exhausting to canuck fans
It must be exhausting knowing your team is losing major trade value by forcing a high price on a player who cant fit 95% of teams current cap ceiling

Miller at the deadline isnt returning nearly as much as if he was traded in early July with an extension. Nor will a deadline trade have freed any capspace, as theyd have to take a player or two back.

New management in Vancouver but off to a not so good start. But anything is better than how they were left

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad