Rumor: VHN: Having spoken to four NHL GM’s just today, VHN can report that there are (at least) two Metro Division teams still interested Miller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 19, 2018
This actually makes sense, as LTIR opens up that will free up a ton of cap space and even the Canucks can retain if the Rumored Poolman addition is true.

I don’t see anyway he doesn’t get moved by then as it’s the most obvious last deadline before the season starts. I have a strong feeling he’s going to Washington once Backstrom gets put on there and it frees up $9 million in cap space along with the exact type of opening in the roster Miller needs to excel.

Teams have way too much money invested not to go all in or bounce back and will have pressure from ownership ( Pittsburg, Washington, NJ, NYI ) to compete for the Cup or qualify for the playoffs.

The Blue Jackets are my dark house team who look like they are ready to go for it and have some good pieces the Canucks would want.

Who has the cap space?
LTIR starts at the beginning of the season or a week prior. Teams like Washington will have $9 million and possibly more. The only way you get to use LTIR to the max is spending up to the amount that is on LTIR.

Feb 19, 2018
Who has the cap space?
LTIR starts at the beginning of the season or a week prior. Teams like Washington will have $9 million and possibly more. The only way you get to use LTIR to the max is spending up to the amount that is on LTIR.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
how long has it been since the Miller rumors started? feels like over a year :laugh:

I remember joking about the Canucks not making a move at the draft, after all the endless rumors about half their roster, and the last trade Vancouver has made is still from March 21, 2022. That’s 5 months and 9 days ago.

And I was kidding. The amount of smoke unrelated to actual activity has been phenomenal.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Thats fair if you think thats too much, likely the Canucks have set the price tag at somewhere around there. I think if they wait until trade deadline they can get somewhere very close to that.

I'm not sure a 1st; a young cost controlled top 6 forward and a team's top prospect are what teams give up at the deadline for a rental, even one as good as Miller.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I'm not sure a 1st; a young cost controlled top 6 forward and a team's top prospect are what teams give up at the deadline for a rental, even one as good as Miller.
I would think any Miller trade happening prior to the start of the season would come with an extension in place. You’re right in saying that type of return at the deadline is unrealistic.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I would think any Miller trade happening prior to the start of the season would come with an extension in place. You’re right in saying that type of return at the deadline is unrealistic.

Yes, and I'm of the opinion that there's an almost zero % chance the Canes would extend Miller, so the point become moot. They've let go Faulk, Hamilton, Trocheck, Nino, etc.. because of cost/age. I just can't see them giving Miller, who will be 30 to start next season, a high dollar, long term deal, particularly with Aho, Teravainen, Jarvis, Staal, Pesce, and Skjei all becoming UFAs (Jarvis an RFA) in the next 2 years, not to mention both goalies.

It's just not in the Canes nature to do that. If they went after him, they would be doing so as a rental IMO.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Necas is the sticking point I imagine?

The sticking point is both Necas and Morrow. As I described in the post above, IMO, the likelihood of the Canes extending Miller, who will be 30, is very slim. Thus the Canes would, IMO, be looking at it as a rental type deal. Necas and the team's best prospect (Morrow) aren't the type of assets I'd part with for a rental. This is not taking anything away from Miller, who's been fantastic, just a comment on how I see the Canes operating and view an acquisition.

I get that it means some other team will likely offer more, but that won't surprise me.

Now, if Necas struggles again and Morrow pulls an Adam Fox, then maybe it's a different discussion.

I could be way off base here as the Canes front office at times have been unpredictable, but they've been pretty consistent in the "not giving big contracts to older players" approach.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Pending UFAs never fetch top tier prospects. Never.

Taylor Hall coming off a Hart Trophy season didn't fetch an A tier prospect.

The asking Price from the Canucks is clearly the reason a trade hasn't been made an will continue to be the reason. Especially if what they are asking for is even half of what the fans on here think a UFA is worth.
Hahaha, I’m not going to dig it up, but I bet if you look back for the last two decades, you could find damn near 100 examples of this being wrong.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Likely not the Caps unless the Canucks take back a good amount of salary

I Canucks retain half I believe the Caps are under the cap using just Backstrom's LTIR

Caps traded for Dylan Strome but at this point Strome is not a top 6 F, not if you want to contend at least so i can definitely see the Caps being in on Miller.

Im almost certain that things will heat up at the start of the season as teams are able to put players on LTIR and create cap space,

The Canucks in particular have Ferland and Poolman that will likely be in LTIR on opening night. thats over 4mil of cap which can cushion a "dump" as part of the return for Miller.

Caps didn't trade for strome, they got him for free. Chicago didn't qualify him. If the Nuck's retain 50% Washington is under the cap still.

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
Lmao reading the OP and reading the comments it’s a never ending circle between Canucks and other fans. Plot twist: Miller walks to free agency and all this bickering is for nothing.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Lmao reading the OP and reading the comments it’s a never ending circle between Canucks and other fans. Plot twist: Miller walks to free agency and all this bickering is for nothing.
The Canucks would never let that happen. They even said that the absolute deadline and pressure point they have set internally for themselves is January, for either Miller to sign or they trade him.

I personally think Miller gets moved shortly after the christmas roster freeze

1st
top prospect
young roster player or 2nd rnd pick
cap dump player

This is from an official reporter offering information. That's certainly above the bar in the fictional trade forum.

Rob Simpson is legit and has definite connections with East Coast teams. He also isnt the type to just throw out random rumors for clicks, he is reporting it because he knows first hand that at least 2 metro teams want Miller.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
This is from an official reporter offering information. That's certainly above the bar in the fictional trade forum.
Yes exactly, every time any report says anything about Jt Miller a brand new thread is necessary. Perhaps for each individual sentence they say as well.

It would be preposterous to just keep all of this in one Jt Miller thread

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Yes, and I'm of the opinion that there's an almost zero % chance the Canes would extend Miller, so the point become moot. They've let go Faulk, Hamilton, Trocheck, Nino, etc.. because of cost/age. I just can't see them giving Miller, who will be 30 to start next season, a high dollar, long term deal, particularly with Aho, Teravainen, Jarvis, Staal, Pesce, and Skjei all becoming UFAs (Jarvis an RFA) in the next 2 years, not to mention both goalies.

It's just not in the Canes nature to do that. If they went after him, they would be doing so as a rental IMO.
I agree, I don’t see the Canes being interested in Miller in anything other than a rental situation. I think of the Metro teams, Pittsburgh, Washington and perhaps the Islanders make the most sense for a trade with extension scenario.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Pending UFAs never fetch top tier prospects. Never.
Players with one full season left frequently get top prospects in return, especially if there's an extension negotiated. Paccioretty got Nick Suzuki a couple of years ago.
Taylor Hall coming off a Hart Trophy season didn't fetch an A tier prospect.
You're just making stuff up at this point. Hall won his Hart in 2018. He was traded a season and a half later after a suffering a serious injury in 2019, having knee surgery, missing half the sseaon, then scoring 6 goals in 30 games the following season prior to the trade. Can you explain why you didn't mention any of this?

Reactions: Peter Griffin

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
According to Rob Simpson, Vancouver Hockey Now spoke with 4 NHL GMS on August 26th and he is confirming and reporting that at least 2 Metro teams are very much still interested in JT Miller. Timing and Canuck's price point on Miller is what it will come down to.

Rob Simpson is very credible btw and doesn't usually leak out information such as this. He is well regarded in NHL circles and have worked for NHL network, NESN in Boston and MSGN.

Curious which 2 Metro teams are still in on Miller and what their current offer is that obviously is not good enough from the Canucks standpoint.

Well Lou has already made the trade but is waiting for a full moon and Mercury in retrograde before filing it with the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad