Rumor: VHN: Having spoken to four NHL GM’s just today, VHN can report that there are (at least) two Metro Division teams still interested Miller

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
According to Rob Simpson, Vancouver Hockey Now spoke with 4 NHL GMS on August 26th and he is confirming and reporting that at least 2 Metro teams are very much still interested in JT Miller. Timing and Canuck's price point on Miller is what it will come down to.

Rob Simpson is very credible btw and doesn't usually leak out information such as this. He is well regarded in NHL circles and have worked for NHL network, NESN in Boston and MSGN.

Curious which 2 Metro teams are still in on Miller and what their current offer is that obviously is not good enough from the Canucks standpoint.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
1661880629355.png

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Islanders and Caps are my Guesses.

Islanders missed out on Kadri and linked before.

Caps are without Backstrom for the year and could use another top 6 C for the season.

Likely not the Caps unless the Canucks take back a good amount of salary

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021

Caps are without Backstrom for the year and could use another top 6 C for the season.

Caps traded for Dylan Strome but at this point Strome is not a top 6 F, not if you want to contend at least so i can definitely see the Caps being in on Miller.

Im almost certain that things will heat up at the start of the season as teams are able to put players on LTIR and create cap space,

The Canucks in particular have Ferland and Poolman that will likely be in LTIR on opening night. thats over 4mil of cap which can cushion a "dump" as part of the return for Miller.

• Haha
Reactions: FlyguyOX

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
According to Rob Simpson, Vancouver Hockey Now spoke with 4 NHL GMS on August 26th and he is confirming and reporting that at least 2 Metro teams are very much still interested in JT Miller. Timing and Canuck's price point on Miller is what it will come down to.

Rob Simpson is very credible btw and doesn't usually leak out information such as this. He is well regarded in NHL circles and have worked for NHL network, NESN in Boston and MSGN.

Curious which 2 Metro teams are still in on Miller and what their current offer is that obviously is not good enough from the Canucks standpoint.

Is this a clue perhaps?

• Haha
Reactions: zcaptain

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Pens being one of them would be a dream, but they simply don't have the cap space nor assets to get it done. Not unless Canucks get robbed in a trade AND take back salary for players like Zucker and Kapanen.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
The bar for new JT Miller threads is unbelievably low.
Until he is traded or re-signed. Then is spikes again.

Pens being one of them would be a dream, but they simply don't have the cap space nor assets to get it done. Not unless Canucks get robbed in a trade AND take back salary for players like Zucker and Kapanen.
With Marino gone, you guys definitely don't have the assets anymore. But you have Cup Rings, so that is better.

Likely not the Caps unless the Canucks take back a good amount of salary
Don't you save like 9m with Backstrom on LTIR?

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Sign Miller, and trade Garland for a RHD.

They probably have pretty similar trade values at the moment but Miller is worth more to the Canucks.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Interest does not equal realistic. Thinking about it that way, my two choices would be the Islanders and Columbus.

Columbus, I am not really sure what Vancouver would want from them? But from Columbus point of view, Miller gives them a really deadly top 6 with Laine, Gaudreau, Jenner, Miller, Voracek, Roslovic, Nyquist. I know I listed 7 players, but that is deep as hell.

Islanders, its been talked about for awhile, nothing to add there really. But depending on Barzal, Mayfield, Bellows, Wahlstrom's raises, how much money is left for Miller? It will be tight be doable.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
how long has it been since the Miller rumors started? feels like over a year :laugh:

I'd say probably January , around the time the Canucks cleaned house and brought in Rutherford. The problem is they went on a huge heater and Miller was dominant. Likely the owner didnt want to move Miller then as they were in a playoff chase.

Also, the best reported offer they got was a 1st Chytil and Lundqvist which is underwhelming and a value that they certainly can still easily get today so there was no point in moving Miller then.

I thought he would be moved at the draft but Canucks were reportedly not high on this years draft and didnt want 1st round pick as much as they wanted a young roster player. Likely though they ( along with everyone else) have next years draft rated much higher than the last draft so im sure a 1st round pick will have more value to them.

Devils, Islanders, or this is more “InSiDeR” speculation.

Its not really speculation where insiders give you " from what im hearing" or " i believe"

Simpson is legit straight out saying he talked to 4 GMS on Aug 26th and 2 of them are very much still interested in Miller, 2 teams from metro.

He isnt really sugar coating or saying its from a 3rd party source, he is legit saying he heard directly from 2 GMs.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Rangers are in on everyone, so one of them is them.
Can't be, no Cap space, and no guys w plus-size Cap Hits they'll move.
Trochek signing clinched it, but many NYR fans never believed JTM would be brought back anyway

• Love
Reactions: bernmeister

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Interest does not equal realistic. Thinking about it that way, my two choices would be the Islanders and Columbus.

Columbus, I am not really sure what Vancouver would want from them? But from Columbus point of view, Miller gives them a really deadly top 6 with Laine, Gaudreau, Jenner, Miller, Voracek, Roslovic, Nyquist. I know I listed 7 players, but that is deep as hell.

Islanders, its been talked about for awhile, nothing to add there really. But depending on Barzal, Mayfield, Bellows, Wahlstrom's raises, how much money is left for Miller? It will be tight be doable.

Thats why Simpson mentioned "timing" which i believe is directly about the cap and LTIR.

Like I said, The Canucks will be able to put Ferland and Poolman on LTIR which will give them some cap space at the start the season. This will allow them to cushion and obtaining salary coming back to them as part of the major package for Miller. Canucks can also retain.

I dont see NYI as a good trading partner unless the Canucks really like Raty.

CBJ definitely has the pieces the Canucks would be interested in. Something like:

1st
Ceulemens or Peeke
Marchenko

Right D is and a long term partner for Q Hughes is probably the top priority for the Canucks. CBJ has some nice pieces in that front which makes them a very good target for the Canucks

CBJS RDs,

Boqvist
Peeke
Blankenburg
Gudbranson

Pipeline for RD:

Jiricek
Mateychuk ( plays both sides)
Cuelemens
Samuel Johannesson

Last edited:

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Recap:

With Poolman and Ferland on the LTIR, we have 4.7 million on a 20 man rosters, not counting what ever happens with Miller (trade, retention, what ever). Retention is possible, even encouraged for a price, on Miller.

We don't want cap dumps (and I use this term for anyone we don't have a use for that has salary that can't be buried) unless absolutely necessary.

We don't want wingers, goalies or LD, might take a page on a center (depending on contract status and skill set) and almost require a top four RHD (in our cap window mentioned above) be included.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
The ask for him is too unrealistic for the Islanders to make the trade. Lou would rather stand pat then give up multiple key pieces for one player.

Reactions: Glorydays22

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
Thats why Simpson mentioned "timing" which i believe is directly about the cap and LTIR.

Like I said, The Canucks will be able to put Ferland and Poolman on LTIR which will give them some cap space at the start the season. This will allow them to cushion and obtaining salary coming back to them as part of the major package for Miller. Canucks can also retain.

I dont see NYI as a good trading partner unless the Canucks really like Raty.

CBJ definitely has the pieces the Canucks would be interested in. Something like:

1st
Ceulemens or Peeke
Marchenko

Right D is and a long term partner for Q Hughes is probably the top priority for the Canucks. CBJ has some nice pieces in that front which makes them a very good target for the Canucks

CBJS RDs,

Boqvist
Peeke
Blankenburg
Gudbranson

Pipeline for RD:

Jiricek
Mateychuk ( plays both sides)
Cuelemens
Samuel Johannesson
As a Van fan:

1st
Peeke
Marchenko

would be a yes. I've seen CLB use Peeke in several proposals but he's a young guy playing huge minutes for them with a big frame, so im curious why he shows up in proposals.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Works for me, don't want NYR to deal precious youth for age which actually shortens our window.
Rangers are in on everyone, so one of them is them.
Nope, and hopefully Drury will not be stupid here.

He's from PA so that could be a plus factor in getting him long term, but #s do not support immediate cap add for him unless 1 or 2 teams can do side deals to give Pens cap; then Pit has to satisfy 'nucks w/at least ballpark of market value.
Outside possible, but not easily doable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad