Confirmed Trade: [VGK/SJS] Adin Hill for 2024 4th-round

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It was a bad idea to trade for Hill to begin with and it was one of DW's last trade blunder. Moving him now was a sensible decision when you can't expect three goalies, two with expiring contracts, to increase their trade value over the course of a regular season. One of them needed to go now and it was either Hill or Reimer. Reimer will have a market at the deadline most likely. Hill is much less certain due to his penchant for injuries. Now that it's Kahkonen and Reimer to split the net, makes it easier for both to focus and when the Sharks become sellers at the deadline, they'll probably get a 2nd or a 3rd for Reimer.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Hill has maintained respectable numbers on some pretty awful teams, it's just a matter if he can stay healthy. A 4th rounder is good value to take a flyer on a big athletic goalie and stick him in a new system and see what happens. Hill's in a contract year too, extra pressure for him to perform.

I still think Thompson will get the majority of the starts, but it could be a good 1A-1B combo if the stars align.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Starting goalie for only a 4th round pick and within the division?

Way to go Vegas.....or wait a second?

Grier be like...
1661897395872.png

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If Hill manages to play like he did in Arizona, this could turn into a pretty smart move by Vegas. Not sure what's the deal with Brossoit, but betting on Thompson & Hill sharing the crease might be a cheap solution with Lehner on LTIR. We'll see..

It cost a 4th and 2.7m. That's the definition of cheap. The question is whether it's any kind of solution, because while it adds depth, it's not like Hill played all that well last season... mind you SJ sucked, so there's that. Personally I hope he does well - and not just because I have him in a salary cap keeper fantasy league.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Starting goalie for only a 4th round pick and within the division?
Last time was the first season in his career playing more than 20 NHL games in a season...in which he played 25.

Sure he's only 26, but he hasn't actually been a consistent starter of any team since he was in the WHL

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm surprised Vegas didn't go for Jake Allen because Montreal is in full on tank mode and so they don't really need Allen and Vegas needed a goalie, I'd argue they still do, I'm not fully convinced that any of Thompson, Hill or Brossoit are getting it done.

You could make a strong case for Vegas having the weakest goaltending in the pacific right now

azvgk

Nov 29, 2019
VGK season ticket holder here:

Obviously something of a crapshoot, but Thompson looked FAR better than Lehner last year, has been getting better by leaps and bounds since turning pro, and may well be a solid or better #!. The sample size is small, but he was dynamic in 20+ games last year.

I think people are underrating VGK. There's a lot of ifs but the potential for Cup contention is there. Particularly if Karlsson returns to form and Stone and Eichel pan out healthwise. Plus, it's a long season and we may have a little more cap room at the TDL due to the LTIR's - even signing Hague we're not over the cap as in the past.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Goalies R Voodoo.

Guaranteed, some goalie people consider near useless right now will have a monster season on a new team this year and people will be all “Wow, I never saw that coming!” It happens for some goalie every year. Goalie success or failure is so often a factor of team and fit and coaching and luck and injury and and and …

Will it be Hill? Probably not. But it *could* be.

Gamble worth taking, IMHO.

FgHuDXeUYAAswcR.jpg

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
VGK absolutely nailed it last offseason/during the season with their acquisitions.

Constructed a perfectly built team for the playoffs.

This particular acquisition shows how important depth at goaltender is

Reactions: Rebels57

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad