Confirmed Trade: [VGK/SJS] Adin Hill for 2024 4th-round

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
So funny seeing the sharks continue to pull bad moves like this. Especially hilarious that it was to Vegas, one of their main rivals. Ha!
Why was it a bad move? Dude was a non-factor until game like 95. The knights had no intention of him sniffing game action until they had no choice.

Reactions: horner

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
1686770169032.png

I hope that guy's doing ok.

......Or enjoying his fifteen minutes. :laugh:

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Why was it a bad move? Dude was a non-factor until game like 95. The knights had no intention of him sniffing game action until they had no choice.

Because as a team that's struggled with goalies, they just traded away one that proved he can be a cup winning goaltender.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Because as a team that's struggled with goalies, they just traded away one that proved he can be a cup winning goaltender.
That only really means something to the Sharks if Hill could be counted on to be in net on the regular. Even with him proving he can play 16 games for Vegas in the playoffs and go on a run (which most goalies are capable of doing), he still only played 27 games during the season. How does having that back on San Jose change their fate in any way? The Sharks needed to trade a goalie after the previous management decided to trade for Kahkonen and had three goalies under contract. Hill was seemingly the easiest to move and they got what they could.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
San Jose gave up on Hill way too quickly but he's still only a 1B goalie. I think any team that signs him to be a 1A or starter will really quickly regret it. He's another platoon goalie you pair with a veteran like Andersen or Fleury IMO.

Jan 21, 2018
Why are people clowning the sharks?

Winning the Stanley cup doesn’t mean that Hill can be a good starter over a full 82 game season.

If anything, this just reinforces that no team is going to overpay for a goalie when someone like Hill is good enough to win the cup.

Like who is going to pay premium assets to acquire Saros when your team is better off spending those assets to improve your F+D.

The NHL is a copycat league so I wouldn’t be surprised to see more teams seeking out cheaper options since goalies are often a crapshoot in the playoffs.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
That only really means something to the Sharks if Hill could be counted on to be in net on the regular. Even with him proving he can play 16 games for Vegas in the playoffs and go on a run (which most goalies are capable of doing), he still only played 27 games during the season. How does having that back on San Jose change their fate in any way? The Sharks needed to trade a goalie after the previous management decided to trade for Kahkonen and had three goalies under contract. Hill was seemingly the easiest to move and they got what they could.
You can't make excuses when Hill proved to be an NHL goalie that can also play in playoffs. Remember when SanJose also gave away kipper to Flames and he became their best goalie and went to Finals against Tampa?? SJ has a history of giving up good goalies for chump change

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You can't make excuses when Hill proved to be an NHL goalie that can also play in playoffs. Remember when SanJose also gave away kipper to Flames and he became their best goalie and went to Finals against Tampa?? SJ has a history of giving up good goalies for chump change
Sure I can. We're not Vegas and we can't make average goalies look good. The Sharks didn't give away Kiprusoff to the Flames. They traded him for a 2nd round pick that became Marc-Edouard Vlasic when Kiprusoff played in San Jose like a 3rd string goalie compared to Nabokov and Toskala at the time. The Sharks don't have any real control on when a goalie decides to put it together.

• Love
Reactions: Levi Walking Bear

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Why are people clowning the sharks?

Winning the Stanley cup doesn’t mean that Hill can be a good starter over a full 82 game season.

If anything, this just reinforces that no team is going to overpay for a goalie when someone like Hill is good enough to win the cup.

Like who is going to pay premium assets to acquire Saros when your team is better off spending those assets to improve your F+D.

The NHL is a copycat league so I wouldn’t be surprised to see more teams seeking out cheaper options since goalies are often a crapshoot in the playoffs.
If that was true and goalies were not important then please tell me why Oilers haven't gone deep in playoffs yet?? I think you still need a good goalie regardless

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Doug Wilson trading Kiprusoff in 2003 and Mike Grier trading Hill in 2022 isn't a "history".

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Sure I can. We're not Vegas and we can't make average goalies look good. The Sharks didn't give away Kiprusoff to the Flames. They traded him for a 2nd round pick that became Marc-Edouard Vlasic when Kiprusoff played in San Jose like a 3rd string goalie compared to Nabokov and Toskala at the time. The Sharks don't have any real control on when a goalie decides to put it together.
I actually think it's about who the goalie coach is and who he sees to be a superior goalie. SJ probably didn't scout Kipper or have a good goalie coach that would dictate who is the better goalie. Look at who Canucks have as a goalie coach and how his input has actually made Canucks making good decisions when it comes to signing or picking goalies for the team. I think he was also instrumental in Canucks getting and keeping Arturs Silovs

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Doug Wilson trading Kiprusoff in 2003 and Mike Grier trading Hill in 2022 isn't a "history".
It's a history that shows maybe SJ scouts or their goalie coach are making wrong decisions. The GM probably does get input from scouts and the goalie coach before trading a goalie.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It's a history that shows maybe SJ scouts or their goalie coach are making wrong decisions. The GM probably does get input from scouts and the goalie coach before trading a goalie.
Oh come on, these instances are almost 20 years apart and you're not even giving it the full picture. You're only looking at a goalie being moved and succeeding and that's literally it. There's a reason Kiprusoff was the one dealt and not Nabokov and Toskala. There's a reason why Hill was the one dealt and not Reimer or Kahkonen. However, in the latter decision, it could've literally been any of those three and all three are capable of doing what Hill did with the right team in front of them.

I actually think it's about who the goalie coach is and who he sees to be a superior goalie. SJ probably didn't scout Kipper or have a good goalie coach that would dictate who is the better goalie. Look at who Canucks have as a goalie coach and how his input has actually made Canucks making good decisions when it comes to signing or picking goalies for the team. I think he was also instrumental in Canucks getting and keeping Arturs Silovs
It wasn't because the goalie coach then was one of the best in the league. He also believed wholeheartedly that Kipper was the best of the three but he didn't prove it in time and time ran out. The Sharks still made out very well with the trade even with the circumstances that occurred in 2003.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad