Player Discussion: Vesalainen Thread

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yes, and then Maurice opted to not play Enstrom in some playoff games. Ugh.

The 2017 draft looks pretty terrible for the Jets...well, at this point. Let's hope Samberg is a legit above average 2nd pairing d-man and Ves can turn into a respectable 3rd line player. The rest of players from that draft may not be more than press box fodder/career AHLers/emergency call-ups. We are coming up the draft +6 year with this group.

It was one PO game, the last one. We were being unable to score any goals in that series. He was trying to do something (anything) to get some scoring going. something Enstrom wasn't helping with at that time.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
HvTWIZd.png

These "fake stats" are tracked by the NHL too.
#1 Enstrom, #2 Joe Morrow.... Dustin Byfuglien #4. I don't think these numbers are proving much. If the stats dont lead to the results they aren't very good at anything but finding your preconceived notions.

Looks like I've gotten this thread off track. Apologies. If there is an Enstrom thread. I'd be happy to read more there.

Back on topic.....Ves sucks, don't know when the last time he was a good player on ANY team but it's been a while. If he is in the line up next year I consider it a failure of Chevy finding an actual NHL player for our bottom 6.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Not sure what’s more concerning at this point, that he had three points in 50+ games in the NHL or that he’s not doing much better in the AHL - only two points in 13 games? Not acceptable.

Probably goes to Liiga next year, I guess.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Not sure what’s more concerning at this point, that he had three points in 50+ games in the NHL or that he’s not doing much better in the AHL - only two points in 13 games? Not acceptable.

Probably goes to Liiga next year, I guess.
What’s even more troubling is that the Jets kept playing him even though he clearly wasn’t an NHL level player, either bad coaching decision or forced to play him because of a bad management decision or both!

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Let’s remember that Enstrom had to be protected for the expansion draft but he waived that so the Jets could go 7-3-1. What I am not certain about is whether the Jets made any representations to him that they would try to protect him via a deal with Vegas.

If Enstrom didn’t waive, the Jets would have lost a forward… probably Armia if I recall correctly.

The Jets really were all in that year and we did have the most successful Jets season ever. We paid a future cost to maximize that year.

Reactions: Heldig

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
What’s even more troubling is that the Jets kept playing him even though he clearly wasn’t an NHL level player, either bad coaching decision or forced to play him because of a bad management decision or both!
Not a ton of choices. If it means more Reichel, Poganski, Eyssimont, Brooks, Suess, Nash I guess you keep rolling your former 1st rounder out until he's dead to the organization. There's not much of an upgrade available.

Why not Gus? Who flipping knows.

Reactions: sipowicz

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

Cites this as a source

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Cites this as a source
Good riddance!

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Jets killed any trade value he had by over playing him when he wasn’t working out, so he’s better off in Europe where he can try to get his game back together. Honestly, Ive been at a loss as to what we’d do with him Moving forward. This is the best option for everyone
Jets needed to see what they have him in him. he has not looked good, a v large % of it is on him, however i will say i think playing with a better play-making C could tell us a different story. but, i wouldn't play him over any winger in our top-6, where more of our playmaking Centers reside. on the other hand, sometimes it's better to deal a prospect prior to the public knowing he's potentially a bust while they still have some sort of name-value.

Reactions: BatVader

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
On the plus side I think KVes worked his ass off and followed the plan the org had laid out for him and that caught me by surprise. On The minus side its never come together for him. I am wondering if he just doesn’t processes the game fast enough? The skills he had at a younger age haven’t translated to the NHL. In fairness if you look at his draft the cluster of guys drafted in his zip code have also struggled for the most part.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Jets needed to see what they have him in him. he has not looked good, a v large % of it is on him, however i will say i think playing with a better play-making C could tell us a different story. but, i wouldn't play him over any winger in our top-6, where more of our playmaking Centers reside. on the other hand, sometimes it's better to deal a prospect prior to the public knowing he's potentially a bust while they still have some sort of name-value.
Pretty obvious he sucks, there was no trade value to begin with. When was the last time he was a much better than average in any league he has been in? He fell like a rock in his draft year on. Putting him in a top 6 on any NHL team isn’t even a discussion. He would have to play his way into a top 6 on the Moose if it wasn’t for his draft position.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
On the plus side I think KVes worked his ass off and followed the plan the org had laid out for him and that caught me by surprise. On The minus side its never come together for him. I am wondering if he just doesn’t processes the game fast enough? The skills he had at a younger age haven’t translated to the NHL. In fairness if you look at his draft the cluster of guys drafted in his zip code have also struggled for the most part.
Followed the plan of the org? Highly doubtful. To begin with I seriously doubt the Jets wanted him to play in the KHL in 18/19. Or to play in 3 different leagues.

For a guy who seemed to have zero progression I dont know how you can be sure he worked his ass off either. He’s slow, and thinks slow. Apparently he has a great shot but he was never in the play so we will probably never know.

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
You’d think maybe any of the cellar teams like Montreal, ASU, Seattle or even Philadelphia could take him on as a reclamation project for like a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Does he have an out clause if dealt and the acquiring team wants him in their system?

• Haha
Reactions: macmaroon

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Followed the plan of the org? Highly doubtful. To begin with I seriously doubt the Jets wanted him to play in the KHL in 18/19. Or to play in 3 different leagues.

For a guy who seemed to have zero progression I dont know how you can be sure he worked his ass off either. He’s slow, and thinks slow. Apparently he has a great shot but he was never in the play so we will probably never know.

In 18-19 he was in his draft plus 2 season and he split time between the KHL and the Moose which are both good leagues. I do think he worked hard to learn the defensive side of the game the problem is the offense has never developed. He had a half season with the Moose when he was 19 which is young for the AHL and a full 60 games with the Moose when he was 20. They had him early enough and for long enough IMO.

I appreciate he listened to Vincent and worked to round out his game which is more than I can say for some other Jets. Too bad we drafted a kid who appears to have a low hockey IQ. You win some and you lose some.

Last edited:
Reactions: roccerfeller

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
In 18-19 he was in his draft plus 2 season and he split time between the KHL and the Moose which are both good leagues. I do think he worked hard to learn the defensive side of the game the problem is the offense has never developed. He had a half season with the Moose when he was 19 which is young for the AHL and a full 60 games with the Moose when he was 20. They had him early enough and for long enough IMO.

I appreciate he listened to Vincent and worked to round out his game which is more than I can say for some other Jets. Too bad we drafted a kid who appears to have a low hockey IQ. You win some and you lose some.
It hurts tho, because guys like Robertson, Batherson, Swayman, Jokiharju and Oettinger were still on the board. We gave up the pick that turned into Suzuki ffs lol.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It hurts tho, because guys like Robertson, Batherson, Swayman, Jokiharju and Oettinger were still on the board. We gave up the pick that turned into Suzuki ffs lol.

Yes it hurts. We can't afford first rd busts. A little disappointing we could take, if we had to. :laugh:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I hate that we had a swing and a miss. The Suzuki part is tough who knows if we would have drafted him or Liljegren but yea it would have been better than Ves. He is our first outright failure in the 1st round although Roslo and Stanley have had next to no impact on the Jets either. Roslo has at least found a home on a team in the NHL and Stan might still work one day but he is currently a dime a dozen type bottom pairing guy.

Having these three first round draft slots not work out for the Jets at least is contributing to our challenges.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00