Player Discussion: Vesalainen Thread

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Too young to tell.
Had over a half a point per game in the KHL two seasons ago and half a point per game in the AHL this last season.
He is 6' 4" and 230 lbs and supposedly possesses an NHL calibre shot so, I wouldn't be giving up on him yet.
I wouldn't be surprised to see him start on the Jets halfway through next season.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Big, heavy F’s seem like they take longer to get into their mold.

I still think he is going to be a beast.

Depends on the game they played coming up through their development - he's never played a heavy game so yes, he'd need more time to determine if he can play heavy - but I don't think heavy forwards need more time (in general).

I personally don't see him becoming a "beast" - but I'd love to see him at least move in that direction.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
What if he's Wheeler 2.0 and takes a few years to hit his stride?

He absolutely may. Hopefully then he's hitting his full stride just as Wheeler's stride is beginning to fail him. My fear in that scenario is that coaching staff impatience means that he risks being sidelined in favour of moar creaky-but-gud vetness. Chevy needs to pinky-swear that he will never again buy in another Borque-level player to "energize the room," and make it the rule that our best prospects get the chance to learn on the job, even if that job is a few minutes a night on the 4th.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
He's a 24th pick. Isn't this the assumption?

Yup. I'm just trying to preach patience. I expect our 10th OA pick this year will take a couple of years to get to the NHL so why the hurry to give up on a 24th OA pick that is having his game style developed and changed? Sure, it would be great for Vesalainen to have broken down the door a year or two ago but it didn't happen. Kid is playing pretty well in the A and developing nicely.

Even if he only turns into a bruising 3rd liner with some scoring touch that's still a win. We hope for more and obviously Wheeler would be the dream ceiling.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Yup. I'm just trying to preach patience. I expect our 10th OA pick this year will take a couple of years to get to the NHL so why the hurry to give up on a 24th OA pick that is having his game style developed and changed? Sure, it would be great for Vesalainen to have broken down the door a year or two ago but it didn't happen. Kid is playing pretty well in the A and developing nicely.

Even if he only turns into a bruising 3rd liner with some scoring touch that's still a win. We hope for more and obviously Wheeler would be the dream ceiling.

I don't think Wheeler has spent that much time near the ceiling when he hasn't had a good power play scaffolding in place. Mostly, he sits in the comfy recliner now, occasionally threatening the young-uns with, don't make me get out of this chair! :nod:

Reactions: Bigfish

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
With the correct linemates, and toi management, I think he will flourish in the NHL.

Like makar says, lots of players had better numbers in the NHL compared to their AHL.

Lesser league doesn’t always mean better production.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He's a 24th pick. Isn't this the assumption?

My expectations are that he continues to grow his game on the Moose this season. As long as he is committed to improving I think Vincent and his staff do a good job of developing prospects. Hopefully he is healthy and has a good season.

Reactions: hn777

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
It was a mistake for KV AND Heinola to go back to Europe for a year.
Both should have went to the Moose.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
It was a mistake for KV AND Heinola to go back to Europe for a year.
Both should have went to the Moose.
Was it a mistake for Aho and Heiskanen, too? Or maybe it has more to do with the players abilities rather than where they played. These players and their development aren't as fragile as you think.

Reactions: Roughneck1

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Was it a mistake for Aho and Heiskanen, too? Or maybe it has more to do with the players abilities rather than where they played. These players and their development aren't as fragile as you think.

Aho and Heiskanen, and what they did or didn't do, don't enter into this. This isn't a discussion about whether Finns should stay in North America. It's about these two Jets players specifically, and whether going back to play in Europe was beneficial. I don't think it was. They both seemed to regress from what I've read. I think they would have benefited to integrate with the organization, and develop in an environment that is closer in style to where one would assume they hope to establish a career. Instead, they chose to make a little more money for one year, and maybe have the comforts of Mommy's home cooking and laundry services. Colour me not impressed.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I see his ceiling as a Lowry replacement. Him becoming a Wheeler replacement would exceed any reasonable expectation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad