Player Discussion: Vesalainen Thread

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I am not defending the KV pick. However at the time, it looked as through the Jets had a potential 1st liner, especially after his year in Europe. I guess he just did not have the drive and determination to reach his true potential. Anyway, all the players you mention are 22-23, and still relatively unproven. I guess we will see what they are capable 3 years down the road. He'll, Samberg is looking like a solid pick.

KV did look like a promising pick to us. I hold the scouts to a little higher standard. :laugh:
I haven't entirely given up hope for KV, but it does not look good. He maybe has 1 more season to figure it out, if that.

But all of those players look like they will easily be better than him, even if they end up being bottom 6'ers.

Samberg is looking very good. Our current D prospects might salvage Chevy's drafting rep. Wish we had used them instead of signing Dillon and Schmidt.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
We shouldn't be talking about who we could have drafted instead of KV @ 22, agreed there weren't many better options. But we owned the #13 pick in that draft and traded down for XD purposes and lots of good players went between 13-22- Suzuki, Liljegren, Norris, Thomas, Chytil, Yamamoto, Joseph. IIRC Garret had said that the Jets were very high on Liljegren and would have drafted him at 13 if they were making that pick. I had justified it in my head that even if KV didn't pan out atleast we didn't lose out on much if we were gonna draft Liljegren who as of last year was looking like a bust. But Liljegren now looks like a solid top-4 right shooting d-man right.

Reactions: Heldig

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
If he pans out like valeri nichushkin, who went back to the khl at 21, then to Colorado where he's been a strong player, that'd be very unfortunate for us lol

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
We shouldn't be talking about who we could have drafted instead of KV @ 22, agreed there weren't many better options. But we owned the #13 pick in that draft and traded down for XD purposes and lots of good players went between 13-22- Suzuki, Liljegren, Norris, Thomas, Chytil, Yamamoto, Joseph. IIRC Garret had said that the Jets were very high on Liljegren and would have drafted him at 13 if they were making that pick. I had justified it in my head that even if KV didn't pan out atleast we didn't lose out on much if we were gonna draft Liljegren who as of last year was looking like a bust. But Liljegren now looks like a solid top-4 right shooting d-man right.
Yeah, Chevy kind of blew that expansion draft (in hindsight, anyways). The drop off in talent is shocking after about #20.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Yeah, Chevy kind of blew that expansion draft (in hindsight, anyways). The drop off in talent is shocking after about #20.
I wouldn’t say he blew it, moving down 11 spots in the first round to essentially not have a player selected during the expansion draft ended up being pretty mild and probably one of the best deals compared to the others that were made and compared to the players other team lost.

The Jets were trying to win a Stanley cup, they weren’t worried about hoping a possibly good player is around for them to draft.

Plus for all we know the first round wouldn’t have even played out the same way if the Jets had the 13th pick, it’s possible one trade up/down could have snowballed into lots of movement in the first round and completed changed the outcome of the draft.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I wouldn’t say he blew it, moving down 11 spots in the first round to essentially not have a player selected during the expansion draft ended up being pretty mild and probably one of the best deals compared to the others that were made and compared to the players other team lost.

The Jets were trying to win a Stanley cup, they weren’t worried about hoping a possibly good player is around for them to draft.

Plus for all we know the first round wouldn’t have even played out the same way if the Jets had the 13th pick, it’s possible one trade up/down could have snowballed into lots of movement in the first round and completed changed the outcome of the draft.
Well, I did say in hindsight.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012

This wasn't about playoffs. The Jets were so emotionally invested in Enstrom they lost their damn minds (much like Maurice). He wasn't good at that point and they traded down for 43 poor games after he just played 60 poor games. He was done.

Reactions: sipowicz

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
This wasn't about playoffs. The Jets were so emotionally invested in Enstrom they lost their damn minds (much like Maurice). He wasn't good at that point and they traded down for 43 poor games after he just played 60 poor games. He was done.

Pretty sure Enstrom was our most effective shot suppressor at the end with us(someone can double check that). So saying he was poor at that point is factually incorrect.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
As someone who wasn’t even a huge Enstrom fan I’ll point out how incorrect you are.

His 17-18 stats

CF%52.46
FF%52.90
XGF%58.85
SCF%56.30
HDCF%60.80
GF%58.33

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Enstrom and Buff were great together that season. It was a big part of our success.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Yes, and then Maurice opted to not play Enstrom in some playoff games. Ugh.

The 2017 draft looks pretty terrible for the Jets...well, at this point. Let's hope Samberg is a legit above average 2nd pairing d-man and Ves can turn into a respectable 3rd line player. The rest of players from that draft may not be more than press box fodder/career AHLers/emergency call-ups. We are coming up the draft +6 year with this group.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Yes, and then Maurice opted to not play Enstrom in some playoff games. Ugh.

The 2017 draft looks pretty terrible for the Jets...well, at this point. Let's hope Samberg is a legit above average 2nd pairing d-man and Ves can turn into a respectable 3rd line player. The rest of players from that draft may not be more than press box fodder/career AHLers/emergency call-ups. We are coming up the draft +6 year with this group.

At this point I’d be content with Ves at least being a solid 4th liner. Definitely a disappointment still but he hasn’t even looked like an NHL regular this year. I think something needs to change with him mentally if he’s going to have success and there’s no guarantee that happens either.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Perhaps a change of scenery for another teams underperforming player? Ex: Cody Glass or Connor Timmons

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
As someone who wasn’t even a huge Enstrom fan I’ll point out how incorrect you are.

His 17-18 stats

CF%52.46
FF%52.90
XGF%58.85
SCF%56.30
HDCF%60.80
GF%58.33
Funny how his fake stats didn't lead to real results. You can put just about any dummy next to Buff and his fake stats would look good.

Reactions: kylbaz

None

Feb 22, 2012
Pretty sure Enstrom was our most effective shot suppressor at the end with us(someone can double check that). So saying he was poor at that point is factually incorrect.

HvTWIZd.png

Funny how his fake stats didn't lead to real results. You can put just about any dummy next to Buff and his fake stats would look good.

These "fake stats" are tracked by the NHL too.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

The reason Jets were able to make a 'better deal' than most other teams was because the Jets were in a better position than any other team due to exempt young players.

Any examination of the upcoming draft class should have shown that there was a lot of value going to be available at #13.

No 1 or even 2 or 3 trades up or down or any other kind of deal could have resulted in changing that fact.

They may have thought the quality in that draft class extended all the way to #24. That is the only excuse I can see.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Anyone one and Buff were great together. It has nothing to do with Enstrom.
I don't disagree. However I think those two had innate chemistry superior to most of buffs other partners. I think buff was the clear leader of that pairing, but enstrom was still good in his role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad