Player Discussion: Vesalainen Thread

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
You’d think maybe any of the cellar teams like Montreal, ASU, Seattle or even Philadelphia could take him on as a reclamation project for like a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Does he have an out clause if dealt and the acquiring team wants him in their system?

He is waiver eligible so any team trading for him will also have to commit to a giving him a roster spot or risk losing him on the waiver wire. I don't think many teams will be willing to use a roster spot on him and give the Jets something of value.

Reactions: roccerfeller
Nov 24, 2006
Bummer. Just watching the guy, you had a sense he wasn’t going to stick in the NHL. Got the sense he couldn’t process the offensive side of the game quickly enough.

Last edited:

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
In 18-19 he was in his draft plus 2 season and he split time between the KHL and the Moose which are both good leagues. I do think he worked hard to learn the defensive side of the game the problem is the offense has never developed. He had a half season with the Moose when he was 19 which is young for the AHL and a full 60 games with the Moose when he was 20. They had him early enough and for long enough IMO.

I appreciate he listened to Vincent and worked to round out his game which is more than I can say for some other Jets. Too bad we drafted a kid who appears to have a low hockey IQ. You win some and you lose some.

I don’t disagree that the KHL is a competitive league but I see the time there as somewhere between a waste at The absolute best a waste of time and detriment to his development. It was time to learn to play on North American ice and learn to get to the dirty areas not think that floating around in space on the outside is a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
He just never was able to put his offensive tools together here. His defensive play developed well but he just had nothing else to offer other then that. Sometimes things just don't work out. We were never going to go 100% in the first round and safe to say Ves is a miss.

Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Every team has drafts that are busts but I believe Samberg salvaged 2017 to some extent for us.
Perhaps Gawanke could be something too. And you can’t forget Skyler McKenzie, who, after a solid 20-goal year this past winter, looks primed to go down as one of the greatest import wingers in Swedish division 2 hockey history.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Id give you a “like” if I could for the thoughtful comment if I could even if I disagree.

I don’t disagree that the KHL is a competitive league but I see the time there as somewhere between a waste at The absolute best a waste of time and detriment to his development. It was time to learn to play on North American ice and learn to get to the dirty areas not think that floating around in space on the outside is a good idea.

He certainly flopped and seemed ro regress offensively as the seasons went on. I think some fans like the idea of taking big bodied players but it just shows the NHL is a really tough league and even guys with great frames need to be able to process the game fast. Like you had said he has heavy shot but what good is it if he rarely can crack the code to figure out how to get the shot off. It was frustrating watching him struggle but I am glad we are moving on now so it opens up a slot for someone else.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I think some fans like the idea of taking big bodied players but it just shows the NHL is a really tough league and even guys with great frames need to be able to process the game fast.
I agree - and think it goes without saying.
If you have size in a league like the NHL, it's a plus - but it's not all you need

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I agree - and think it goes without saying.
If you have size in a league like the NHL, it's a plus - but it's not all you need

I always come back to the draft in Philly. I was sitting with some folks from Dallas and I was praying Nylander or Ehlers would fall to us at #9. As it began to go down that way the Dallas guys were all saying you have to take Ritchie at #9 he‘s such a beast (of course I have amazing recall on the times I was right lol). I would like to have a big more size and edge on one more top 6 asset on our team right now but on balance I am fine with a mixed portfolio. I REALLY miss Buff though.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I always come back to the draft in Philly. I was sitting with some folks from Dallas and I was praying Nylander or Ehlers would fall to us at #9. As it began to go down that way the Dallas guys were all saying you have to take Ritchie at #9 he‘s such a beast (of course I have amazing recall on the times I was right lol). I would like to have a big more size and edge on one more top 6 asset on our team right now but on balance I am fine with a mixed portfolio. I REALLY miss Buff though.

You need size that can play. Give me small and skilled over big and bad everyday. That being said I'm so happy we got Dubois as he brings skill, grit and power to our top 6. With Cole coming on board we need another player like Dubois in the top 6 to add some balance.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
He certainly flopped and seemed ro regress offensively as the seasons went on. I think some fans like the idea of taking big bodied players but it just shows the NHL is a really tough league and even guys with great frames need to be able to process the game fast. Like you had said he has heavy shot but what good is it if he rarely can crack the code to figure out how to get the shot off. It was frustrating watching him struggle but I am glad we are moving on now so it opens up a slot for someone else.
Yeah, I think size helps but if you cant get to where you need to go it's useless.

Reactions: ps241

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Hopefully Samberg turns into a good top-4 defenceman because if he doesn't, the 2017 draft looks like a complete bust. As a small market team, the Jets cannot afford it if they want to remain competitive.
Samberg should be fine providing Jets get a coach with vision and purpose. DS showed more poise than Dillon or Schmidt, imo and is more than ready for regular nHL duty. Just need a coach who recognizes and uses him properly! Not alot of hope, yet.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Said when we drafted him he didn't look like anything special and I was right
The next Laine scorer just a line level below. Amazing how Jets have helped turn that into a Liner across the ocean, not a line below.
No more Vaseline for the "tight-fitting-games". Oh well.

You need size that can play. Give me small and skilled over big and bad everyday. That being said I'm so happy we got Dubois as he brings skill, grit and power to our top 6. With Cole coming on board we need another player like Dubois in the top 6 to add some balance.
Joe Thornton might be available? Oh...wrong century. Sorry.

• Haha
Reactions: macmaroon

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Only if he is played properly and given
Every team has drafts that are busts but I believe Samberg salvaged 2017 to some extent for us.
a chance, right! Bring on a the new coach. We 'll tell him who to play where, when and why, if needed.

Yeah, I think size helps but if you cant get to where you need to go it's useless.
Or doesn't know where to be, when to score?

Reactions: Ippenator

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
I pulled hard for K Ves thought he would morph into into a winger that could score 25 but he just didn't seem to have the drive to get it done, Jets will qualify but I doubt we ever see him in a Jets jersey again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad