Olympics: USA Roster Discussion (Roster in post 1)

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Was Ryan Malone a consideration? I haven't seen him play at all this year but he was a guest on a podcast I was listening to and he made it clear he wanted a shot.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Wishniewski is barely hanging on in the second division if German league and we have guys playing regular roles in the Swiss and Russian leagues. Man this is a real wtf. Also no Dan Sexton? Basically the top non NHL American scorer. Whatever we at least now I have no expectations for anything good from this team

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
We've some nice puck movers on the back-end for this level (Gunderson, Gilroy, Blum, Sanguinetti), but from a pure defensive standpoint this d-core resembles a tire fire.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
This tournament is going to be garbage. The only players worth watching on Team USA are going to be college players and they're leaving off some good ones. Honestly, they should have just used the World Junior roster with the addition of guys like Donato, Terry, Gaudette, Greenway, etc. I'd rather watch young amateurs like that over has-beens and never-weres that are being deployed on Team USA this year.

Reactions: Kyndig

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
We've some nice puck movers on the back-end for this level (Gunderson, Gilroy, Blum, Sanguinetti), but from a pure defensive standpoint this d-core resembles a tire fire.

Definitely looks like a weak group of D. Anyone notable that they passed on?

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston

There wasn't as much Olympic buzz around Jimmy Schuldt, but i think he should have selected. Has the total package and has done enough to warrant taking a chance on him.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Brickley ( Minn St ) and Belpedio ( Miami ) are probably going to be the most sought after UFA Dmen in NCAA and will probably be playing in NHL when NCAA season ends. Whitecloud , I think he's Canadian, making some noise too. Schuldt at StCloud would be next
Would rather watch those 21/22 yr olds over most of the D they picked and they would be an upgrade IMO.
Same for F's....No Gaudette ( N'eastern ) or especially Gersich ( NoDak ) on big ice ???

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Not sure any of the "omissions" are really going to matter. The U.S. was always going to be in tough in this tournament without NHL participation. There are some good, even very good players respective to what the overall competition will be but I'm not expecting much.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I'll be attending the Russia and Slovakia games. If you never see me post here again it's because I couldn't take it anymore and committed suicide by defecting to north Korea

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
A good friend of mine grew up playing with Gunderson in Philly. Pretty cool to have a Philly high-school hockey star on Team USA.

Team will likely be awful though lol

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That's kinda some weird roster choices. Doesn't really make sense to me at all. I have extremely low expectation but I'd at least like to think USA hockey made the best of what they were given. Just give me a young skilled team.

They never do when they the NHL attends so i'm not surprised they didn't now. The 2014 US Roster was a joke.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
This tournament is going to be garbage. The only players worth watching on Team USA are going to be college players and they're leaving off some good ones. Honestly, they should have just used the World Junior roster with the addition of guys like Donato, Terry, Gaudette, Greenway, etc. I'd rather watch young amateurs like that over has-beens and never-weres that are being deployed on Team USA this year.

That would be dumb.
The WJC team, augmented with a handful of college guys, would get downright wrecked. By double digets.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
But they aren't for these olympics.

Sending a bunch of 18-19 y.o., who were defeated by the Slovakian junior team, to play against the likes of Kovalchuk, Gusev, Omark, etc. is in nobody’s interest.

Oh because, the team they're icing is going to have a chance against those guys anyway? Wisniewski, Gionta, McCarthy....Yeah!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad