Olympics: USA Roster Discussion (Roster in post 1)

danj7

Dec 17, 2017
Long time reader, first time poster. Just for fun, I will take a stab at an all NCAA/juniors lineup:

Bellows - Mittelstadt - Anderson
Greenway - Brown - Yamamoto
Gambrell - Gaudette - Terry
Foley - Donato - Frederic

Lindgren - Fox
Schuldt - Brickley
Fitzgerald - Gross

Oettinger
Woll
Cale Morris

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Long time reader, first time poster. Just for fun, I will take a stab at an all NCAA/juniors lineup:

Bellows - Mittelstadt - Anderson
Greenway - Brown - Yamamoto
Gambrell - Gaudette - Terry
Foley - Donato - Frederic

Lindgren - Fox
Schuldt - Brickley
Fitzgerald - Gross

Oettinger
Woll
Cale Morris

Junior players are out I'm pretty sure if they have an NHL contract

danj7

Dec 17, 2017
I believe Jim Johanssen has said in an interview that no u20 players are being considered.

Yes, I was doing more a hypothetical all college/ junior team. I believe you are both correct - no juniors and no u20, but it’s a lot more fun removing those barriers.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
U20s is just USA hockey's preference. No NHL contracted players though is out of their hands.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
I build forward groups from AHL and Europe and probably its should be something mixed from those lines.

C.Bourque-Morin-Butler
Conner-Eansor-Ford
Whitney-Camper-Moses
R.Bourque-Koules-O'Brien
Ortega

C.Bourque and Morin should be locks.

Little-Arcobello-Sexton
Stoa-Roe-Lasch
Miele-Earl-O'Neill
Kolarik-Slater-Shore
Backman

What you guys think. More players from AHL group or Europe group? Then there is Gionta but he has played only in DC this season so...

Jacob MacDonald is really interesting name in AHL. 24 year old defender. Played four years in Cornell and scored four goals. Then played in ECHL and now has scored ten goals already in Binghamton this season. 22 points in 26 games and would be pretty cool story if he makes it.

Goalies:

Zapolski
Leggio
Maxwell
Kuhn

I left out NCAA guys this time.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I used only guys who plays with AHL deal.

At first glance I thought Connor was Kyle Connor.

I thought Chris Bourque has a deal with the Capitals but I'll take your word for it.

I'd certainly through Danny Kristo into the mix. Doing decent in the KHL. Great skater.

I'm not sure about Jeremy Morin. He hasn't played much this year and wasn't great in the AHL last year.

Bourque-Roe-Sexton
Little-Arcobello-Donato
Earl-Slater-Greenway
Shore-Mittlestadt-Terry
Stoa-Miele-Kristo

Lundin-Sanguinetti
Blum-Ebert
Gilbert-Gilroy
Stuart- Krys

Zapolski
Leggio
Oettinger

This is just a kind of a quick shot thrown together team. Line combos are kinda random. I'm partial to the NCAA guys and I want a fast young team. I know this won't be the team that gets picked which is fine. I know a guy like Malone is probably going to make the team.

Friar85

Dec 16, 2013
At first glance I thought Connor was Kyle Connor.

I thought Chris Bourque has a deal with the Capitals but I'll take your word for it.

I'd certainly through Danny Kristo into the mix. Doing decent in the KHL. Great skater.

I'm not sure about Jeremy Morin. He hasn't played much this year and wasn't great in the AHL last year.

Bourque-Roe-Sexton
Little-Arcobello-Donato
Earl-Slater-Greenway
Shore-Mittlestadt-Terry
Stoa-Miele-Kristo

Lundin-Sanguinetti
Blum-Ebert
Gilbert-Gilroy
Stuart- Krys

Zapolski
Leggio
Oettinger

This is just a kind of a quick shot thrown together team. Line combos are kinda random. I'm partial to the NCAA guys and I want a fast young team. I know this won't be the team that gets picked which is fine. I know a guy like Malone is probably going to make the team.
I think he was referring to Travis Morin, who will be on the team I think. Chris Bourque is on a straight AHL deal. I was surprised Kristo wasn't on the Deutschland Cup roster, not sure why he was excluded. I have a sneaking suspicion we will see more NCAA guys, Daniel Brickley and Ryan Donato for instance.

Reactions: Xokkeu

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
this set up makes for a garbage tournament. at least when nhlers didnt take part u had national teams that were actually teams before taking part.

Reactions: haveandare

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I think he was referring to Travis Morin, who will be on the team I think. Chris Bourque is on a straight AHL deal. I was surprised Kristo wasn't on the Deutschland Cup roster, not sure why he was excluded. I have a sneaking suspicion we will see more NCAA guys, Daniel Brickley and Ryan Donato for instance.

Doh Jeremy morin has just been around so long it just clicked. I have Donato. Considered brickely but just ran out of room. Wouldn't be angry with him.

Glad to be wrong on Bourque's contract. Will be a key player for us I think.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
this set up makes for a garbage tournament. at least when nhlers didnt take part u had national teams that were actually teams before taking part.

It is what it is. I can't even watch NHL games this year because it just pisses me off. You either have to embrace the current format or ignore it.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Such a shit team they might as well let some other country go like France, Latvia, or something.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Why even bother to read the thread if it upsets you so much? I'm sure you have better things to do.

This coming from the guy too upset to watch NHL games this year. :laugh:

USA gets to go based off of the World Cup. Redo the tournament and the US probably doesn't even qualify with whatever garbage team they're sending to the Olympics. I'd put my money on Latvia, France, or some other country at this point. Hence they don't deserve to go. Most US fans don't even care about the Olympics as much as European's do and even if the USA somehow pulls some miracle off and wins it will be a ho hum who gives a shit without the NHLers there. ..meanwhile I doubt the same could be said if Latvia or someone won, I'm sure they would still love it.

If USA deserves to go then they shouldn't feel threatened to play a team like Latvia, Germany, France, or whoever to qualify again.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

USA gets to go based off of the World Cup. Redo the tournament and the US probably doesn't even qualify with whatever garbage team they're sending to the Olympics. I'd put my money on Latvia, France, or some other country at this point. Hence they don't deserve to go. Most US fans don't even care about the Olympics as much as European's do and even if the USA somehow pulls some miracle off and wins it will be a ho hum who gives a **** without the NHLers there. ..meanwhile I doubt the same could be said if Latvia or someone won, I'm sure they would still love it.

If USA deserves to go then they shouldn't feel threatened to play a team like Latvia, Germany, France, or whoever to qualify again.

So much wrong with this post. Do you feel the same way about the Canadian roster which will end up looking very similar to the U.S. team?

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

USA gets to go based off of the World Cup. Redo the tournament and the US probably doesn't even qualify with whatever garbage team they're sending to the Olympics. I'd put my money on Latvia, France, or some other country at this point. Hence they don't deserve to go. Most US fans don't even care about the Olympics as much as European's do and even if the USA somehow pulls some miracle off and wins it will be a ho hum who gives a **** without the NHLers there. ..meanwhile I doubt the same could be said if Latvia or someone won, I'm sure they would still love it.

Yep but I'm not going into the NHL forum to complain about how awful the NHL is.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
So much wrong with this post. Do you feel the same way about the Canadian roster which will end up looking very similar to the U.S. team?

Yes, but I'm not Canadian so I'm not going to bother them about it.

Yep but I'm not going into the NHL forum to complain about how awful the NHL is.

True true...but at least I'm complaining about it in the proper forum. Anyways things never change if people don't complain or protest. Maybe I'm in the minority but I'd rather a country that almost never gets to participate in the Olympics take our spot when they may in fact be the better team now anyways. Part of being American is the belief of equality and to me this is a part of that.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Rumored roster per @mayorNHL:

Forwards (x14):
  • Mark Arcobello
  • Chris Bourque
  • Bobby Butler
  • Ryan Donato
  • Brian Gionta
  • Jordan Greenway
  • Chad Kolarik
  • Broc Little
  • John McCarthy
  • Brian O'Neill
  • Garrett Roe
  • Jim Slater
  • Ryan Stoa
  • Troy Terry
Defensemen (x8):
  • Chad Billins
  • Jon Blum
  • Will Borgen
  • Matt Gilroy
  • Ryan Gunderson
  • Bobby Sanguinetti
  • Noah Welch
  • James Wisniewski
Goalies (x1):
  • Ryan Zapolski
Roster can have 25 players, so if these names are correct, he's missing two goalies.

First thoughts:
  • Whatever. I'll be cheering for whatever team they put forward, but we'll always be saying "what could have been." Thanks, NHL.
  • If you're only going to name 4 NCAA players to the team, Jordan Greenway definitely shouldn't be one of them. He's not a top NCAA player. Reeks of USAH guaranteeing a guy a roster spot a long time ago regardless of their play.
  • Adam Gaudette is the notable omission from the NCAA ranks. He should definitely be there.
  • Figured Daniel Brickley would be there from the NCAA too. It was pretty clear he was invited to the World Championships in preparation for this tournament. He's good enough for that team, but not this roster?
  • Outside of that, a bit surprised to not see guys like Dan Sexton or Ryan Lasch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad