Olympics: USA Roster Discussion (Roster in post 1)

Jez

Jun 6, 2017
New York
This might have been mentioned before but I don't understand why USAH gets a pass on the awful preparation leading to the games. All teams had the same restrictions when it came to roster building (not all teams decided to leave Adam Gaudette home but I digress).

I have tremendous respect for what they did to grow the game and help develop more US talent than ever before (all praise The Program) but when it comes to managing a team at the senior level they are amateurish at best. Dare I say unprofessional?

The Canadians played several tournaments in the autumn and winter. They even got the NCAA to release players (like Dylan Sikura). They also played 3 pre-tournament games. The Russians play together all year long and played a couple of tournaments too.

The US played the Deutschland Cup. That's it. Then they act surprised when they lose to Slovenia. They think that they can just bring together non-NHL players from across the the Northern Hemisphere, hold 4 training sessions and then be ready to play a short tournament against teams who have played dozens of games together. Don't tell me it was because players couldn't be released by their clubs, other countries did it with players from the same leagues.

When will questions be asked of the people in charge in Colorado Springs? I get that no one dared to do it this year because of the tragic passing of J. Johansson but something needs to change. I want to be excited for the next best-on-best event but I already know that we will be bringing players past their primes and role players with "character" instead of the talent that is developed at all levels of American hockey.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
This might have been mentioned before but I don't understand why USAH gets a pass on the awful preparation leading to the games. All teams had the same restrictions when it came to roster building (not all teams decided to leave Adam Gaudette home but I digress).

I have tremendous respect for what they did to grow the game and help develop more US talent than ever before (all praise The Program) but when it comes to managing a team at the senior level they are amateurish at best. Dare I say unprofessional?

The Canadians played several tournaments in the autumn and winter. They even got the NCAA to release players (like Dylan Sikura). They also played 3 pre-tournament games. The Russians play together all year long and played a couple of tournaments too.

The US played the Deutschland Cup. That's it. Then they act surprised when they lose to Slovenia. They think that they can just bring together non-NHL players from across the the Northern Hemisphere, hold 4 training sessions and then be ready to play a short tournament against teams who have played dozens of games together. Don't tell me it was because players couldn't be released by their clubs, other countries did it with players from the same leagues.

When will questions be asked of the people in charge in Colorado Springs? I get that no one dared to do it this year because of the tragic passing of J. Johansson but something needs to change. I want to be excited for the next best-on-best event but I already know that we will be bringing players past their primes and role players with "character" instead of the talent that is developed at all levels of American hockey.

excellent post- now get ready for the World Championships and the epic roster we will put together in a few months!!! I have my fingers crossed for a half decent team just like every other damn year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->