Olympics: USA Roster Discussion (Roster in post 1)

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
This roster is even worse than I expected. What a garbage roster. My hope is that 2018 Olympic hockey will be so bad that people will come to their senses and the NHL will return in 2022.

The lack of top NCAA players is mind boggling. Leaving off guys like Gaudette, Brickley, Schuldt, etc. and retaining Greenway speaks of favors, not picking the best players.

I don't have a problem with Gionta. He's only a year removed from scoring 15 NHL goals, and that's the best you can find for a veteran. Wisniewski though seems like a stretch. It's been years since he was relevant. In general though my problem is that the roster isn't stacked with the best the NCAA has to offer.

Gaudette leads all NCAA in points and points per game... Chad Krys didnt make U20s.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
“Per Jim Johannson: Players expected to arrive Feb. 7-8. They should walk in opening ceremonies. No exhibition games prior. 4 full practices and a gameday skate prior to first game.”

Per Chris Peters

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Not letting them take NCAA current players is what will ruin this for me. With how some of those kids played in the U-20, they may have made a NHL Olympic Roster too. Stupid pandering to the NCAA who is not enforcing anything just because "the kids will miss X days of school for this" crap. They already have no qualms letting them play a game on a Wednesday Night in Alaska-Anchorage or Marquette and then getting on a plane and flying all the way back home that night.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Not letting them take NCAA current players is what will ruin this for me. With how some of those kids played in the U-20, they may have made a NHL Olympic Roster too. Stupid pandering to the NCAA who is not enforcing anything just because "the kids will miss X days of school for this" crap. They already have no qualms letting them play a game on a Wednesday Night in Alaska-Anchorage or Marquette and then getting on a plane and flying all the way back home that night.

None of the u20 kids would make an NHL Olympic roster. They wouldn't be even remotely close.

Reactions: TheSituation

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
“Per Jim Johannson: Players expected to arrive Feb. 7-8. They should walk in opening ceremonies. No exhibition games prior. 4 full practices and a gameday skate prior to first game.”

Per Chris Peters

OMG. Only 4 practices together !!! Hell with the NHL not playing. The Olympics, in any sport, is about training to be the best you can before testing yourself in competition. This is the real tragedy.

Reactions: StrBender

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
This is the real tragedy.
For USA and Canada - yes, kinda. Europe-based countries have core of NT players who play ~15 games per year together. So it's somewhat nice to see little countries have some chance this year. Something like Germany can beat Canada this year.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
For USA and Canada - yes, kinda. Europe-based countries have core of NT players who play ~15 games per year together. So it's somewhat nice to see little countries have some chance this year. Something like Germany can beat Canada this year.

Honesty I get the feeling like Canada and the US just said f*** it and sent a random collection of players because they had too

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
Lasch must have blown the Deutschland to not make it.

Indeed, Lasch is a surprising omission. Gunderson is among the top 5 defensemen currently in the SHL, and the other names I recognize from their time time in Sweden (Welch, Billins, Little, Roe and Kolarik) are all OK.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
None of the u20 kids would make an NHL Olympic roster. They wouldn't be even remotely close.

I'd think they have a pretty damn good shot. Both Mittelstadt and Bellows had an outstanding showing. Who would you take over them in an olympic roster?

Dustin Brown
Zach Parise (who barely has played this year)
Ryan Kesler
Blake Wheeler
TJ Oshie
Cam Atkinson
JVR

I would take those 2 over everyone I just listed. I'm not impressed just by the name of the person and because they typically have a high ranking in a video game (not implying you are either-- just know some only pick who they pick based on it).

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I'd think they have a pretty damn good shot. Both Mittelstadt and Bellows had an outstanding showing. Who would you take over them in an olympic roster?

Dustin Brown
Ryan Kesler
Blake Wheeler
TJ Oshie
Cam Atkinson
JVR

I would take those 2 over everyone I just listed. I'm not impressed just by the name of the person and because they typically have a high ranking in a video game (not implying you are either-- just know some only pick who they pick based on it).

Every American NHL player. And a handful of NCAA players. Probably even a good number of European based pros. None of those guys have ever played against full pros. I’m not even sure I’d bring them on this team other than for entertainment value. The U20s level is extremely low.

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
One question, why has USA such a crap roster? Do players who don't get to NHL just stop playing or what, there is no depth? I mean all countrys in turnament will have players who don't play in NHL and of top teams USA looks by far the weakest. How is that?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
One question, why has USA such a crap roster? Do players who don't get to NHL just stop playing or what, there is no depth? I mean all countrys in turnament will have players who don't play in NHL and of top teams USA looks by far the weakest. How is that?

What are you basing that on? Most of the U.S. players are top producers on their respective leagues.

NewHampshire

Mar 25, 2015

Dustin Brown
Ryan Kesler
Blake Wheeler
TJ Oshie
Cam Atkinson
JVR

What?! Age matters. A lot. Just look at how different the U20 tournament is for 18 year olds versus 19 year olds.

I'm not going to dive into your entire list, but let's look at the name you dropped thy really offended me. JVR.

He is this season tied for 11th in NHL goal scoring with 19 - and tied for second among American goal scorers with teammate Auston Matthews. But you'd rather take a 19 year old scoring at a lesser rate in the NCAA? Or a junior beating up on his age group in the WHL?

You lament others suggesting names based on pre-conceived notions but it appears you forgot to research JVRs production to see if it jibed with your misguided notion he's some kind of plug...

If the NHLers had been available JVR may or may not have made the team - but he'd be in the mix. And Mittlestadt and Bellows wouldn't even be in the radar...

Reactions: usahockey22flyers

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
Clearly your definition of "NCAA current players" needs some work. I'm pretty sure Jordan Greenway, Ryan Donato, Troy Terry, and Will Borgen did not play in NCAA games this weekend.

Not letting them take NCAA current players is what will ruin this for me. With how some of those kids played in the U-20, they may have made a NHL Olympic Roster too. Stupid pandering to the NCAA...

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

NHL players officially not going to the Olympics happened very late for most players. Combine that with also excluding NHL contracts -- regardless of where they are playing -- killed some talent for USA.

I would be willing to bet a guy like Boeser or MacAvoy may have considered not signing his ELC back in March to make the Olympic team. They might've turned pro anyways, but I definitely think that would've been a consideration. Or someone like Reid Bouche may have considered an AHL deal versus an NHL deal.

In '92 and the years before, they often had campaigns where these guys would play ~50 exhibitions to lead up to the games. USA Hockey may have recruited better players if that were the case.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
They should have entered a team in the euro tournament between Christmas and New year and taken NCAA guys to get a good look at them.
I would be willing to bet that there would be a different roster with more NCAA guys if that would have happened.
Instead they take older recycled guys that can't play in NHL instead of future NHL players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad