Olympics: USA Roster Discussion (Roster in post 1)

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Oh because, the team they're icing is going to have a chance against those guys anyway? Wisniewski, Gionta, McCarthy....Yeah!

I’m not sure what your argument is anymore. Is it still for sending the WJC team?
For however bad our current olympic roster is, watching them lose by 3-4 goals will be more bearable than witnessing a bunch of pimply kids getting murdered 14-0. Less embarassing for USA Hockey too.

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
This roster is even worse than I expected. What a garbage roster. My hope is that 2018 Olympic hockey will be so bad that people will come to their senses and the NHL will return in 2022.

The lack of top NCAA players is mind boggling. Leaving off guys like Gaudette, Brickley, Schuldt, etc. and retaining Greenway speaks of favors, not picking the best players.

I don't have a problem with Gionta. He's only a year removed from scoring 15 NHL goals, and that's the best you can find for a veteran. Wisniewski though seems like a stretch. It's been years since he was relevant. In general though my problem is that the roster isn't stacked with the best the NCAA has to offer.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I'd only consider mittelstadt tkachuk and fox anyway. The U20s team would get annihilated but I don't think adding some NCAA seniors and juniors would hurt. In fact I think it'd make us better.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I'd only consider mittelstadt tkachuk and fox anyway. The U20s team would get annihilated but I don't think adding some NCAA seniors and juniors would hurt. In fact I think it'd make us better.
They did that...Troy Terry, Will Borgen, Ryan Donato and Jordan Greenway.

NewHampshire

Mar 25, 2015
Its not the best year for upperclass NCAA talent - so many players have left early the last few seasons. Still, as a college hockey fan (with so many of the young AHL talent tied up on NHL deals) I would have loved to have seen a complete NCAA team heading to South Korea, even if it wasn't their best overall group. I have no real desire to watch the veteran's and their last hurrah (regardless of how happy I am for UNH's Bobby Butler). Just off the top of my head...

Forwards
Terry (DU)
Gambrell (DU
Marody (UM)
Laczynski (OSU)
Jobst (OSU)
Donato (HU)
Gaudette (NU)
Stevens (NU)
Foley (PC)
Greenway (BU)
Pitlick (MN)
Carpenter (BU)
Pinho (PC)

Defensemen
Brickley (MST)
Belpedio (MIA)
Schuldt (SCSU)
Borgen (SCSU)
Gross (ND)
Woolanin (UND)
Hamilton (PSU)

Goaltenders
Kielly (CU)
Johnson (UND)
Blitzer (BSU)

I'm sure I missed some strong candidates and I'd guess this team wouldn't be favored for a medal - I don't think the current group will be either - but I would sure enjoy watching a young, hungry group like this. Though they probably could have put together a better group any of the last few years. What better than a retro-style roster to go along with their retro jerseys. Or maybe Im just NCAA biased and on my own in that regard...

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.
A good friend of mine grew up playing with Gunderson in Philly. Pretty cool to have a Philly high-school hockey star on Team USA.

Team will likely be awful though lol

I played against Gunderson in high school, so through the transitive property of hockey... I'm an Olympic level hockey player? I'm going to run with that.

Btw, more like I've been scored on by an Olympic Hockey Player, but that is still awesome.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Its not the best year for upperclass NCAA talent - so many players have left early the last few seasons. Still, as a college hockey fan (with so many of the young AHL talent tied up on NHL deals) I would have loved to have seen a complete NCAA team heading to South Korea, even if it wasn't their best overall group. I have no real desire to watch the veteran's and their last hurrah (regardless of how happy I am for UNH's Bobby Butler). Just off the top of my head...

Forwards
Terry (DU)
Gambrell (DU
Marody (UM)
Laczynski (OSU)
Jobst (OSU)
Donato (HU)
Gaudette (NU)
Stevens (NU)
Foley (PC)
Greenway (BU)
Pitlick (MN)
Carpenter (BU)
Pinho (PC)

Defensemen
Brickley (MST)
Belpedio (MIA)
Schuldt (SCSU)
Borgen (SCSU)
Gross (ND)
Woolanin (UND)
Hamilton (PSU)

Goaltenders
Kielly (CU)
Johnson (UND)
Blitzer (BSU)

I'm sure I missed some strong candidates and I'd guess this team wouldn't be favored for a medal - I don't think the current group will be either - but I would sure enjoy watching a young, hungry group like this. Though they probably could have put together a better group any of the last few years. What better than a retro-style roster to go along with their retro jerseys. Or maybe Im just NCAA biased and on my own in that regard...

Could not agree more. It would have given the team that 1980 feel. Instead we get to watch has-beens and never-wases get demolished.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Could not agree more. It would have given the team that 1980 feel. Instead we get to watch has-beens and never-wases get demolished.

I know there are a lot of people upset about the Olympic hockey tournament but this is a bit much. There's going to be a lot of ****** rosters.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
I know there are a lot of people upset about the Olympic hockey tournament but this is a bit much. There's going to be a lot of ****** rosters.

We knew they'd be shit

but how do you leave off a nearly point per game KHL players. 7th in the best league going to the Olympics in scoring? Over John McCarthy?

Also curious how Chad Kolarik makes it over Keith Aucoin who's killing the DEL.

Those would be my two big main changes

The blueline is going to be horrible but there weren't many options.

James Wishnewski should not be on the team. I'd probably take Nick Ebert over him. Welch seems like a stretch. I would take Brickely or Krys.

Overall the team is okay but Dan Sexton really perplexes me.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
We knew they'd be ****

but how do you leave off a nearly point per game KHL players. 7th in the best league going to the Olympics in scoring? Over John McCarthy?

Also curious how Chad Kolarik makes it over Keith Aucoin who's killing the DEL.

Those would be my two big main changes

The blueline is going to be horrible but there weren't many options.

James Wishnewski should not be on the team. I'd probably take Nick Ebert over him. Welch seems like a stretch. I would take Brickely or Krys.

this is why the compromise was made so that the AHL/ECHL PLAYERS, SINCE THE NHL said ADIOS Korea

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Only thing I can think of is the player said no or the team said he couldn't go...doesn't make any sense otherwise why he wouldn't make this roster. He easily supplants half the forwards on the team if he's interested and/or able.

Even that doesn't make sense though, he played in the Deutschland Cup two months ago and played well...I don't get it.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Dan Sexton, duh, kinda the obvious omission. This roster has a feeling of incompleteness to it. First, it's missing two goalies. I'm curious if this roster is final or not. It's strange to me that Adam Gaudette is drawing the most fervor. I don't know if I'm missing something but the NCAA guy I'd want on the team most would be Chad Krys over William Borgen.

This team will not be better than the team Canada ices, and probably not Russia as well, but should be a strong contender for a bronze medal.

Reactions: Xokkeu

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
Dan Sexton, duh, kinda the obvious omission. This roster has a feeling of incompleteness to it. First, it's missing two goalies. I'm curious if this roster is final or not. It's strange to me that Adam Gaudette is drawing the most fervor. I don't know if I'm missing something but the NCAA guy I'd want on the team most would be Chad Krys over William Borgen.

This team will not be better than the team Canada ices, and probably not Russia as well, but should be a strong contender for a bronze medal.
Krys couldn't even make u20 team this year ...... Stop with the nonsense of him making this team

Reactions: William H Bonney

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
I dont understand why we didn't wait until after the WJC to make the roster. I feel like the top guys like Mittelstadt, Tkachuk, Bellows (for his shot alone), and Fox should have been considered over some of the guys that made the roster. Seems like Canada is going to have a good amount of junior players, I think USA should have looked stronger at the younger guys.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Apologies guys but I'm going to spend my time reading a good book. That's just f***ing brutal.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Bellows and Mittelstadt Maybe but that’s it off the junior team. Even then neither are probably ready and would look like Hughes did.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I dont understand why we didn't wait until after the WJC to make the roster. I feel like the top guys like Mittelstadt, Tkachuk, Bellows (for his shot alone), and Fox should have been considered over some of the guys that made the roster. Seems like Canada is going to have a good amount of junior players, I think USA should have looked stronger at the younger guys.

Perhaps, but an over reliance on junior aged players even in this **** tournament isn't going to go well.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
This coming from the guy too upset to watch NHL games this year. :laugh:

USA gets to go based off of the World Cup. Redo the tournament and the US probably doesn't even qualify with whatever garbage team they're sending to the Olympics. I'd put my money on Latvia, France, or some other country at this point. Hence they don't deserve to go. Most US fans don't even care about the Olympics as much as European's do and even if the USA somehow pulls some miracle off and wins it will be a ho hum who gives a **** without the NHLers there. ..meanwhile I doubt the same could be said if Latvia or someone won, I'm sure they would still love it.

If USA deserves to go then they shouldn't feel threatened to play a team like Latvia, Germany, France, or whoever to qualify again.

I'd care a ton of we had NHLers and the team were built to play on skill instead of yet another slow, plodding team that is bound to get hammered by Canada. Could have seen guys like Matthew, Boeser, Werenski, Kane, Kessel etc all on the same team. Would have been a great year for USA and Sweden teams in particular IMO. Still so bummed this isn't happening.

Reactions: Kyndig

rabinsurance

Jul 5, 2007
Ryan Stoa. There's a guy who could play a whole game with a carton of eggs strapped to him and not have one egg cracked until he gets into the locker room and makes an omelet to feed his lazy butt after the game. What a disgrace that a slob like that represents the USA. Shameful. USA Hockey really needs an enema, between this and that awful display of a tournament that they held in Buffalo.

Reactions: StrBender

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Anybody know why Mark Stuart and Tom Gilbert were left off the Olympic roster? I think they both played in the Deutschland Cup. It seemed like they would need at least one of these veterans on the blue line.

I would take Gilbert but I think Stuart is too slow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad