Tennis: US Open 2017 II

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Certainly no complaints from me about that finish. Good for Juan Martin. He played some very gutsy tennis and fully deserved the big win.

As for Roger, he got about as far as he deserved to get. No complaints from me on that score either.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Federer made so many errors, he didn't deserve to win this.

Happy for Del Potro.

Once again no Federer/Nadal at the US Open. It's like a curse.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Certainly wasn't Fed's best showing by a mile. But then again he really didn't have it in this tournament as a whole, he was fortunate Youzhny pulled up lame in the second round or he's probably done then.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's amazing how much people are making out of this whole Fed and Nadal never met at the US Open angle. So freaking what, I mean they've met twelve times at the other three grand slams and JUST had a classic at the Aussie Open several months ago :laugh:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rafa, preferably, but, basically, anybody but Anderson will do.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Is there any case to be made that Nadal-del Potro isn't more or less the Final on Friday? I guess you could say if del Potro guts out that one maybe he somehow runs out of gas Sunday against one of the no-names but he will have the crowd back firmly on his side if he gets that far. I can't see any case for Nadal losing to either of the other two.

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
It's amazing how much people are making out of this whole Fed and Nadal never met at the US Open angle. So freaking what, I mean they've met twelve times at the other three grand slams and JUST had a classic at the Aussie Open several months ago :laugh:

I guess, to some, the rivalry doesn't feel complete without a face-off in the US Open

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
They can meet at RG again where Rafa will kick his ass. :)
I can see Rafa getting #11. Certainly well within the realm of possibility. But Rafa has a better chance of running into Roger in a restaurant in Paris than he does on a tennis court. I think Roger has played his last at Roland Garros.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Or they can meet anywhere else where Fed can continue kicking Rafa's ass in the twilight of their careers.

Rafa 5-0 vs Fed at RG. Rafa 4-3 vs Fed at Wimbledon and AO combined.

10-9 at HC advantage for Fed. Is that really " kicking Rafa's ass"?

Listen, Fed fans have every right to say Fed is ahead of Rafa in terms of legacy (career wins, titles, weeks as a #1). But head-to-head, that's just something they cannot **** with. Oh, and Olympic singles gold medal.

Last edited:

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
I can see Rafa getting #11. Certainly well within the realm of possibility. But Rafa has a better chance of running into Roger in a restaurant in Paris than he does on a tennis court. I think Roger has played his last at Roland Garros.

You might be right about the last sentence. And again, you can thank Soderling for that. Otherwise, he would continue to hunt for that elusive first RG trophy until his legs would give out.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
You might be right about the last sentence. And again, you can thank Soderling for that. Otherwise, he would continue to hunt for that elusive first RG trophy until his legs would give out.
I agree with you on a lot of things but this long term Soderling fixation of yours really needs to be mercifully put to rest. You clutch at Soderling like he was some sort of "get out of jail free" talisman that magically negates Fed's French Open championship. He doesn't. That battle was fought and it is in the history books--you want to blame somebody, blame Rafa for losing to the Swede. Like all athletes, Nadal is mortal and that kind of thing happens all the time in sports. It's called an "upset." From time immemorial, thousands of athletes and teams have benefited from them. The rest is just sour grapes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later: Oh, forgot: I like Venus and Coco in the semis today. Which almost certainly will doom both of them.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad