Tennis: US Open 2017 II

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
This has been the weirdest major on the men's side I can remember at a slam in a while.

No real memorable matches, Djokovic/Murray/Wawrinka/Kei/Raonic all out, poor play from Fed and Nadal to start the tournament... only real bright story has been Shapovalov. Been an entirely forgettable tournament so far compared to the women's side. Only thing that may save it is Fed/Nadal for the first time ever at Flushing Meadows.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This has been the weirdest major on the men's side I can remember at a slam in a while.

No real memorable matches, Djokovic/Murray/Wawrinka/Kei/Raonic all out, poor play from Fed and Nadal to start the tournament... only real bright story has been Shapovalov. Been an entirely forgettable tournament so far compared to the women's side. Only thing that may save it is Fed/Nadal for the first time ever at Flushing Meadows.

The Del Potro match was memorable, Shapovalov's run, Schwartzman was a fun story and of course, Fed/Nadal.

The bigger stories have been on the women's side but the men haven't been completely devoid of drama. With Djokovic, Wawrinka and Murray out, there was bound to be a bit of a let down for this tournament. Carreno Busta vs. Anderson is one of those "find something else to do" matches.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
The Del Potro match was memorable, Shapovalov's run, Schwartzman was a fun story and of course, Fed/Nadal.

The bigger stories have been on the women's side but the men haven't been completely devoid of drama. With Djokovic, Wawrinka and Murray out, there was bound to be a bit of a let down for this tournament. Carreno Busta vs. Anderson is one of those "find something else to do" matches.

Ah yeah, the Del Po/Thiem clash slipped my mind. Hoping that we get a similarly exciting bout between him and Fed tonight.

At least Anderson/Carreno can't be any worse than the Anderson/Querry match I guess... :laugh:

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
I may not be American (though I did live in the states for a couple of years), but it'd be cool if Keys could make it an all-American Final Four on the women's side tonight.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Ah yeah, the Del Po/Thiem clash slipped my mind. Hoping that we get a similarly exciting bout between him and Fed tonight.

At least Anderson/Carreno can't be any worse than the Anderson/Querry match I guess... :laugh:

I don't think DelPo will have much gas left in the tank tonight unfortunately but who knows with him, when he's on he can beat anybody.

Maybe they should just cancel the Carreno/Anderson match and declare the Nadal/Federer match the final. Pay them off if you have to, I have about $10 to contribute. :D

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Way too much respect for Nadal from Rublev today. Another reason Shapovalov is so highly thought-of right now - you don't see him being in awe of occasion.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Went out to lunch, got back, and the match was over. Rafa's to win now, I would say.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I may not be American (though I did live in the states for a couple of years), but it'd be cool if Keys could make it an all-American Final Four on the women's side tonight.
In tennis, those women would officially make America great again and Trump could retire.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Good start for Madison, a one minute service game....followed by a two minute service game from Kanepi....First break to Keys. Kanepi is built like a discus thrower and has the mobility of a discuss thrower to match, 3-1....Madison is looking really confident, like she is finally sure of her game, 5-2. This has been a very economic kill so far, no wasted energy, just clean and quick....6-3 and in total control.

2nd set: Opening break for Keys; things couldn't be going better, 1-love....now 4-2 as Kanepi has no viable return game at all.

3-3 very impressive win.

Last edited:

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Am I missing something here? This is a quarterfinal match right? There seems to be no emotion out there. It's like they are just out there hitting the ball

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Women's semis are fascinating for more reasons beside the All-American and three black women aspects. We have Venus as the matriarch and then three players who have spent way too long being ingenues, each finally looking to step up from understudy to headliner. Which one will be successful or will the old lady still rule the day? With the cataclysm that has been the men's draw (though the US Open might get a lucky Rafa/Fed semi out of it), the women's draw must seem like the answer to the USTA's and the media's fervent prayer.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Need to keep an eye on Fed's shoulder rotation on his backhand. First couple looked off.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Looks like this will be a good match...the fans might actually get their money's worth in this quarter-final.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
No way in the world Roger's backhand is the usual shot.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Del Potro needs to return more serves of Roger. He's making it easy on by giving up all the quick points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad