Tennis: US Open 2017 II

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Good lord, was Coco that bad or Keys that good? Or did Coco just wear out after playing a bunch of high stress matches (even the two setters were tight)?

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Good lord, was Coco that bad or Keys that good? Or did Coco just wear out after playing a bunch of high stress matches (even the two setters were tight)?
Watched a replay of that match on youtube when I got home. Good lord, that first set reminded me of Laver crushing US college kids back in the '70s. Close to flawless, with opponents never knowing what hit them. By the second set, I think Coco had decided that there was no stopping the train tonight, so it never developed into much of a battle. Great to see Madison realize a good portion of that massive potential. Hope she wins the final.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Got to hand it to professional gamblers on this one. Pre-tournament favourites included both 15th seed Keys and 20th seed Vandeweghe; in fact, I think they were either two of the three or two of four top favourites going in. And here one of them is in a very attractive final.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Hoping Carreno-Busta, picking Anderson.
Hoping Rafa, picking Rafa.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Hoping Carreno-Busta, picking Anderson.
Hoping Rafa, picking Rafa.

You're hoping for a walk-over in the final?! ('cause that's what Alpha Spaniard vs. non-Alpha Spaniard would amount to).

Then again I'm rooting for Anderson to go all the way so... just as bad if not worse.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Yeah, Nadal/Carreno-Busta would be one of the most boring GS finals in recent history. I might not even watch.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
You're hoping for a walk-over in the final?! ('cause that's what Alpha Spaniard vs. non-Alpha Spaniard would amount to).
Harumph..You Illini types sure stick together. Well,
174.jpg
beg to differ.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It sounds dead there. I wonder how much tickets went for.

The one time I looked this morning they were still $200+ on StubHub but I'm not sure you can go by that. Rush hour in NYC, I don't think people were hoofing it to get there early for match #1 between the foreign Cinderellas (would have been interesting to see if it was different with Querrey in the first match), but it'll probably be packed by 7 or whenever Nadal-DelPo gets going.

As someone not really that familiar with either of these players (barely heard of Anderson and never heard of Correno Busta before this tournament), I know the seeding system in tennis is a joke but if that's not the only reason, can someone explain why Anderson's the clear favorite when Correno Busta's seeded 12 and Anderson's late 20's? Granted Correno Busta's had the easiest draw to a semi I ever heard of playing four straight qualifiers but he had to have had some decent wins to get to 12? Anderson's draw wasn't much better, he only beat Querrey and the rest of the little brothers of the poor.

Last edited:

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
As someone not really that familiar with either of these players (barely heard of Anderson and never heard of Correno Busta before this tournament), I know the seeding system in tennis is a joke but if that's not the only reason, can someone explain why Anderson's the clear favorite when Correno Busta's seeded 12 and Anderson's late 20's? Granted Correno Busta's had the easiest draw to a semi I ever heard of playing four straight qualifiers but he had to have had some decent wins to get to 12? Anderson's draw wasn't much better, he only beat Querrey and the rest of the little brothers of the poor.
Probably because Anderson is the more proven player. He was a top 10 player in 2015 before his injury struggles started.
He's also had a pretty good year so far.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005

Head to head Anderson won both times. Last time was this Summer in Montreal in straight sets.

Also rather unfortunate the game started so early. The place doesn't seem even half full.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Head to head Anderson won both times. Last time was this Summer in Montreal in straight sets.

Also rather unfortunate the game started so early. The place doesn't seem even half full.

Would timing have made that much of a difference?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
A player like Busta is never ever going to win a major tournament unless the seas totally part. Like this US Open... he couldn't possibly have gotten any luckier with his draw. And now he's in big trouble against Anderson, someone lower ranked than him. That's the reason people hate pushers. On their best days they wait for their opponents to have a worse day. It's not inspiring.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Because Busta is a pusher. And Anderson is a serve bot. It's a mismatch if Anderson is even remotely on his game. People who can hit winners and are on their game will win 10/10 against pushers. Guys like Busta wait for their opponents to make mistakes. If they don't, they lose. It was really Anderson's match to lose.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

Place seemed full at the end. I figured people couldn't or wouldn't get there till midway through the match. I think only the real real tennis diehards would want to watch two complete five-set matches back to back, especially if the main event winds up being a four plus hour match.

That celebration from Anderson was fun - some might say over the top considering it wasn't the Final but you could tell he was enjoying the moment, almost makes me curious what happens if he actually finds a way to win Sunday :laugh:

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Because Busta is a pusher. And Anderson is a serve bot. It's a mismatch if Anderson is even remotely on his game. People who can hit winners and are on their game will win 10/10 against pushers. Guys like Busta wait for their opponents to make mistakes. If they don't, they lose. It was really Anderson's match to lose.
Counterpunchers can be fun to watch too though. When they're really talented. I was always a big fan of Lleyton Hewitt, for example.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Fascinating final service game to a pretty boring match.

Can't really blame Anderson for doing all the things you'd expect from a player who's won the championship (climbing into the player box, etc.). I don't think he ever thought he'd get to a major final.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
That del Potro forehand is a force of nature. No wonder Nadal's trying to avoid it at any cost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad