Tennis: US Open 2017 II

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
God, so far it's like watching a couple of old plowhorses trying to get to the barn first.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Best shot of the night and it breaks Roger, 6-5.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
God, so far it's like watching a couple of old plowhorses trying to get to the barn first.

Fed definitely looks tight tonight.

I'm wondering what his schedule is going to look like next year.

No way he can play a full schedule at his age anymore with the lingering back issues. Expecting him to take off the French again and skip the entire US hard-court season with the possible exception of Canada and obviously the US Open.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Juan Martin's serving really came on strong in the latter stages of that set.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Federer looks off tonight. Weird.
It's not like Del Potro is playing that well so far although his serve looks on point.
I don't know who to root for. Two of my favorite players along with Wawrinka

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Don't get why so many people like Del Potro... I mean he's a nice guy but his game id very one-dimensional

Because his forehand is/was one of the most beautiful shots in the game of tennis and he's an awesome dude. I would hardly call him a one dimensional player. Great offensive baseliners are anything but.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Don't get why so many people like Del Potro... I mean he's a nice guy but his game id very one-dimensional

Maybe so now, but the player people fell in love with was anything but one dimensional. 2009 US Open SF and F was probably one of the best two consecutive match combo I have seen.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
As much as I love Roger I find myself cheering for Juan Martin.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Maybe so now, but the player people fell in love with was anything but one dimensional. 2009 US Open SF and F was probably one of the best two consecutive match combo I have seen.
His backhand was never going to be world class but now it seems like it is a purely defensive stroke. He seldom seems as aggressive as he once did--the whole games just looks tired, no snap. Funny thing is, he is only 28 but he has a lot of wear and tear on him. He's not as consistent as he once was either--which is all that he probably needs to do to win tonight if he keeps serving reasonably well.

As for Roger, I wouldn't be surprised if he shuts it down after the Open for the rest of the year. As for tonight, I don't think he is back, but he might work things out.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
Because his forehand is/was one of the most beautiful shots in the game of tennis and he's an awesome dude. I would hardly call him a one dimensional player. Great offensive baseliners are anything but.

His backend is very weak. His volley game leaves alot to be desired and he's obviously not the quickest of players

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
As much as I love Roger I find myself cheering for Juan Martin.

Same...I actually thought this was gonna be a three-setter for Roger, I figured recovering from that Thiem match was just too much physically and emotionally for DelPo.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Roger looked good that game. Put enough pressure on to get the break and let Del Potro flub the rest, 3-1.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Either way, if Rafa is currently polishing his victory speech, I wouldn't fault him.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Either way, if Rafa is currently polishing his victory speech, I wouldn't fault him.

Federer shocked Rafa with his backhand in Australia, it's nowhere near that level right now. I don't think his game is strong enough right now to beat Nadal if he wins this match, unless Nadal has a bad night on Friday.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Roger looked way better in that set but hard to tell what it all means because Juan Martin looked way worse. In a word, slow.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I kind of think Roger is relying on fighting spirit, muscle memory, technique, and Tylenol these days.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I kind of think Roger is relying on fighting spirit, muscle memory, technique, and Tylenol these days.

He's better now at grinding out tough wins than he was at his peak. His diminishing skills have forced him to adapt mentally and physically - he was so stubborn in his prime because he could afford to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad