Tennis: US Open 2017 II

Jan 3, 2012
Rafa 5-0 vs Fed at RG. Rafa 4-3 vs Fed at Wimbledon and AO combined.

10-9 at HC advantage for Fed. Is that really " kicking Rafa's ass"?

Listen, Fed fans have every right to say Fed is ahead of Rafa in terms of legacy (career wins, titles, weeks as a #1). But head-to-head, that's just something they cannot **** with. Oh, and Olympic singles gold medal.

Don't forget he is a McIlroy fan, and he thinks he is better than Spieth. Wouldn't expect the most sensible sports arguments from him. ;)

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005

Listen, Fed fans have every right to say Fed is ahead of Rafa in terms of legacy (career wins, titles, weeks as a #1). But head-to-head, that's just something they cannot **** with. Oh, and Olympic singles gold medal.

Add in Roger's consecutive semi and quarter appearances, which is a hugely underrated stat because everyone looks at majors won, etc.

Anyway, I am thrilled for DelPo, I went to bed after the 3rd and had been cheering for him. He's the only non-Canadian I cheer for when Roger is the opponent. Hope he goes all the way.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Kind of surprised Fed went down like he did but he really hasn't been "right" throughout this tournament. Glad for DelPo though as he is one of my favorite players. Can't see anyone other than Nadal winning though-and good for him. Really glad for the U.S. women. All big hitters that aren't afraid to let loose.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Del Potro might have a shot tomorrow. He served pretty well against Roger and seems to be completely healthy. That 5 setter didn't slow him down at all, he was moving really well yesterday.

Crazy to think Federer and Nadal will most likely have all 4 majors this year.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada

I think he's referencing Federer's current 4 match win streak over Rafa:

Or they can meet anywhere else where Fed can continue kicking Rafa's ass in the twilight of their careers.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA

Hence the "in the twilight of their careers" caveat ;)

I agree, it's indisputable that when it comes to the overall H2H match-up, it's slanted heavily in Rafa's favor. Fed would need at least another two or three years like the one he had this year versus Rafa to make it look respectable IMO.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I think he's referencing Federer's current 4 match win streak over Rafa:

Olderer taking advantage of one last gasp to make that H2H record look just a little bit better... :laugh:

As somebody who appreciates both Fed and Rafa and has increasingly become more of a Nadal fan as the years have gone on, I do think it's important to keep it in context though. While the 4 match winning streak is impressive, I'm under no illusion that it much changes the narrative of their career match-ups against each other.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Venus is so weird. Not greeting the audience, no handshake for the kid, the way she celebrates, the way she's shaking hands after matches. Her entire demeanor is so cold.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Venus is so weird. Not greeting the audience, no handshake for the kid, the way she celebrates, the way she's shaking hands after matches. Her entire demeanor is so cold.

What the ****? You're obviously seeing what you want to and it's not Venus.

When it comes to being on court, she's all business and focuses on the task at hand. A lot of players don't shake the kids hands after the toss or acknowledge the crowd when being introduced. In terms of celebration, Venus is reserved on court and always generous after her matches at net unlike a lot of players on tour who are curt and refuse to make eye contact with their opponent. But keep nitpicking and imagining things.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Anyway, this is an embarrassing display tonight from Vee. She's clearly not in this match. Sloane doesn't have to do much other than keeping the ball in play while waiting for Venus to spray errors all over the place.

Was hoping for a better battle then this. Wonder if the Petra match emptied everything she had.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Now Sloane has gone off the rails. We're going to have a 6-1, 6-1 scoreline going into the 3rd set after a mere 50ish minutes.

They're either going to both play well in the 3rd or they're both going to continue crapping the bed I guess.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Well now all that's left to settle will be whether it's Keys or Cocopuff facing Sloane in the final.

Impressive last couple of games by Sloane. She took control of that match at the tail end.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Keys just does everything a little better than Coco. Their games are incredibly similar but Keys is more reliable off both wings, hits with more pace and depth and is a better mover. The area where Coco has improved most is her net game and movement as well but it's still average to sub par compared to the rest of the tour.

Should be an interesting final if Keys doesn't self destruct. I would be happy with either Sloane or Keys winning but slightly prefer Madison. She's a great kid and is very likable.

Also thrilled that this will be the final Serena-less slam for what should be the next couple of years. Can't wait to see her return.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad