Tennis: US Open 2017 II

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Woke up to a breakfast of crow. Which I have to eat because Anderson not only won :eek:, but did it in a 4th set tie breaker, the sort of situation in which he previously always self-destructed. Good for him; now I hate him more. His victory leads to one of the least predictable semifinals in Slam history: Carreno-Busta/Anderson. Back there in he previous thread I kidded about how this tournament has become the Los Cabos Open. This match would have been a first-rounder there.

Hope good things happen today. TIFF starts tomorrow and given my movie schedule, I will be lucky to see a stroke of tennis the rest of the way.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The first match might be the best one of the day: Pliskova/Vandeweghe. Could the US have four women make the semifinals? I have no idea the last time that was done, but it would be quite the feather in the cap, especially as they have only one top ten player (Venus at #9).

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
The first match might be the best one of the day: Pliskova/Vandeweghe. Could the US have four women make the semifinals? I have no idea the last time that was done, but it would be quite the feather in the cap, especially as they have only one top ten player (Venus at #9).

Chris Evert was saying on ESPN that in 1985 was the last time it happened at the US Open but I believe she was mistaken and that actually transpired at Wimbledon that year.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It just finally sunk in for me that Pat Cash is Vandeweghe's coach (despite 6000 shots of him on the sidelines over the course of the tournament so far). No wonder Vendeweghe strikes me as so Australian. I bet he has a lot to do with that (though, c'mon, she is a "Sheila" type).

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Coco is beating her up so far, 3-1. Pliskova looks a little brittle, but, then, she almost always does, so no cause for panic just yet.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The way Pliskova strikes the ball gives her so little margin of error over the net. But she's back even, 4-4.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
So far for every two points she wins, Coco gives one away (34 points won, 17 unforced errors). But she is still in the set, 5-6.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Poor Coco's mom, she looks both supportive and worried simultaneously. It is so much harder watching these things if you are emotionally involved than actually playing them. She would have more of my sympathies if she hadn't decided to call a kid "Coco," though.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
First set to Vandeweghe 7-6(4). Lots of room for improvement from both players.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Wow they just said Coco is working with a therapist. Good for her. I'm glad she's aware and focusing on that part of the game.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
3-1 in the second. Vandeweghe in control of the match and her destiny now.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Karolina is a gamer. Breaks right back, with a little help from Vandeweghe, 3-2 back on serve.

Can reach be a weapon? It sometimes seems to be with Pliskova.

Bad new. She gives it right back, 4-2.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Pliskova has picked on that forehand mercilessly all match.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Poor Coco's mom, she looks both supportive and worried simultaneously. It is so much harder watching these things if you are emotionally involved than actually playing them. She would have more of my sympathies if she hadn't decided to call a kid "Coco," though.
Isn't her full name Colleen? Coco just seems to be her nickname.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->