UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Fantastic news to land both.

I wonder if one of the other players currently on the roster will get cut?

Can't cut someone who has played this season to make space for additional player. Once a players appears in a regular season game he "counts" against the roster cap. So no matter what UNB does, they only have one available spot that they can give to Duffy or Halley, but not both.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Hard to believe that either of these two players have agreed to sit out the 2nd half, but they must have. Or, they don't realize what they have committed to.

If I were a betting man, I would give the nod to Halley making the team over Duffy. Similar offensive numbers, but Halley with more PiMs, indicating a physical game to his resume.

Last edited:

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Culligan/Carroll/MacNeil/Braes/Nesbitt/Maillet/Duffy or Halley is a nice group of forwards for the rest of the year.

The possibility of Carroll/MacNeil/Braes/Nesbitt/Maillet/Duffy/Halley/Mignardi next year would be ridiculous.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
According to the AUS playing regulations - "Once a team has reached the limit of 22, only players within that 22 can be used for the remainder of the year (until the AUS playoffs have concluded)."

Does that mean the roster cap doesn't apply for the University Cup? Technically, could a player sit out all year and then play in Nationals?? Or do you have to have played a regular season/playoff game to be eligible for the UCup?

Big Bad Jon

Jan 29, 2012
Freddy Beach
It'll be interesting to see the new recruits fighting it out for the last spot tomorrow against STU. I hope STU enjoyed their last win; I'm expecting them to get steamrolled on Sunday: 10-1 UNB

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
It'll be interesting to see the new recruits fighting it out for the last spot tomorrow against STU. I hope STU enjoyed their last win; I'm expecting them to get steamrolled on Sunday: 10-1 UNB

I don't think there is a fight for the last spot. Halley is in, Duffy will join the team for the Nationals.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
No, they just wont dress someone.

That's not what I recalled so I looked it up.

http://english.cis-sic.ca/information/members_info/pdfs/pdf_playing_regs/13-14/Hockey_M.pdf

1. CHAMPIONSHIP ROSTER
Each championship team be composed of twenty-two (22) players, which includes two (2) goaltenders, from their most recently submitted CIS Eligibility Form. A third goaltender may also be declared for a total of 23 players. (Note the 23rd player must be a goaltender otherwise the roster remains at 22). All players who have used a year of eligibility are allowed to play in the championship, as the roster is not frozen at 23.
Teams may dress any twenty (20) of these players for each championship game except the third goaltender. The third goaltender can only become eligible to play in the event that the championship physician certifies one of the two originally declared goaltenders unfit to play. Note: 21 players may dress for warm-up. After warm-up, one player must be scratched from the line-up.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
"All players who have used a year of eligibility are allowed to play in the championship..."

This would prevent someone who has sat out the 2nd half from playing. By this, I mean either Duffy, Halley or any other player. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.....

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Duffy looked good out there, nice hands, smooth skater. Hally really didn't stand out.

Another brilliant game by the zebra's, always wanting to be the star of the show :shakehead The call on Thomas, I know that they have it in for him, I can accept the checking to the head (although the player ducked down to try to avoid it), but where was the call on Froats for the spear? Unreal! Call at the end of the game was comical, the high stick from Critchlow, although it was Braise and not Critchlow...

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
According to the AUS playing regulations - "Once a team has reached the limit of 22, only players within that 22 can be used for the remainder of the year (until the AUS playoffs have concluded)."

Does that mean the roster cap doesn't apply for the University Cup? Technically, could a player sit out all year and then play in Nationals?? Or do you have to have played a regular season/playoff game to be eligible for the UCup?

As I understand it, and I could be wrong, a player can miss the regular season and still play in the University Cup. The roster cap is an AUS-only rule. But I do need to track down and read the CIS regulations.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I thought Duffy looked better than Halley as well, but from the sounds of things it will be Halley taking the final spot for the rest of the year. What is the reasoning behind that? Case of first come, first serve (did Halley decide to come back to UNB before Duffy)...or does the coaching staff think he will be a better fit given the current make-up of the team for the 2nd half?

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I thought Duffy looked better than Halley as well, but from the sounds of things it will be Halley taking the final spot for the rest of the year. What is the reasoning behind that? Case of first come, first serve (did Halley decide to come back to UNB before Duffy)...or does the coaching staff think he will be a better fit given the current make-up of the team for the 2nd half?

Bill Hunt will have the details in tomorrow's Gleaner, but basically Halley reached out to Gardiner first, and had stayed in touch with him with the idea that if pro hockey wasn't working out the way he wanted he would agree to come in at Christmas. His former Junior teammate Maillet was also encouraging him to come.

After signing a 1 year AHL deal Duffy was not expected to resurface at UNB at Christmas. So a bit of a surprise thing - he texted Gardiner in Italy about coming. He knew he'd have to sit 2nd half as Halley was already committed.

There were some other players who expressed interest in coming at Christmas, but there was no room at the inn thanks to the AUS roster cap.

Big Bad Jon

Jan 29, 2012
Freddy Beach
What a stupid rule made up by the other selfish coaches of the AUS. This puts us at a major disadvantage to the other conferences at Nationals since they have no such roster caps...Heaven forbid some players want to play for a perennial winner and as such there will now be a player that should be a top line player who could be putting butts in the seats, but no because of this stupid rule he will have to waste half a season of his hockey career. Given that this rule is not having the intended impact (hurting UNB's recruiting effort), it should be scrapped. What other AUS sports have this rule? (I'm hoping at least that this rule was created due to precedence in either football or basketball in some conference?)

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
If you visit the UNB game recap, that's Ben Duffy wearing #5 in the photo:

Varsity Reds win 9th Annual Pete Kelly Cup Challenge 9-1 over Tommies

In today's Gleaner, Gardiner MacDougall talks about Duffy coming to UNB. What's not mentioned is that Duffy had originaly committed to UNB, if pro didn't work out, back in May. Phillippe Halley was announced back in August.

"In Phil's case, he told us he wanted to try it until Christmas," he said. "In November, he contacted us and said he would like to come back and go to school. In Ben's case, when he signed the contract, he wanted to give it the full year. It was nice to get that text from him in Trentino, Italy. But then you're looking at that stupid cap rule.

"Give full credit to his agent and to him. There's a little sacrifice involved here, but in the big picture of a four-year CIS career, it's a price to pay. We talk about being selfless here, giving up some of yourself for the good of the whole. He's going to be a (poster) boy for selfless, there's no question. They're both amazing people."

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Mike Thomas will miss both games this coming weekend. He had an automatic one-game suspension for that fight in Wolfville in the last game of the first half after he got jumped after that big open-ice hit. Turns out Acadia sent in the video and Thomas had another game added for the hit by the AUS. I thought at the time the hit was clean ...

Dutch

May 17, 2006
Trois-Rivières
Got to give it to Duffy for skipping the rest of the year after playing in the AHL. Class move, especially as I feel he's a way better player than Halley. I wouldn't be surprised if he wore the C one day with UNB.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
"In today's Gleaner, Gardiner MacDougall talks about Duffy coming to UNB. What's not mentioned is that Duffy had originaly committed to UNB, if pro didn't work out, back in May. Phillippe Halley was announced back in August."

So, why is Duffy the one sitting out the 2nd half? Did Halley say: 'No way am I sitting out'.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Mike Thomas will miss both games this coming weekend. He had an automatic one-game suspension for that fight in Wolfville in the last game of the first half after he got jumped after that big open-ice hit. Turns out Acadia sent in the video and Thomas had another game added for the hit by the AUS. I thought at the time the hit was clean ...

Didn't see the hit or video of it, but from talking to a couple of players, they thought that it was a clean hit. Unfortunately Mike is not going to get the benefit of doubt on anything, I am sure that the player that jumped him got no supplemental discipline. And just like last night's game with the spear on Thomas, nothing.

I have said it before, I heard some negative things about Mike (ie. work ethic, attitude and such) from playing in the SR league in NFLD, but think he has been one of UNB's better player and most consistent. He definitely has been giving 110% each game, and his physical play and attention from the Zebra's hasn't deterred Coach Mac from playing him.
Funny thing, he is so quiet and mild off the ice!

"In today's Gleaner, Gardiner MacDougall talks about Duffy coming to UNB. What's not mentioned is that Duffy had originaly committed to UNB, if pro didn't work out, back in May. Phillippe Halley was announced back in August."

So, why is Duffy the one sitting out the 2nd half? Did Halley say: 'No way am I sitting out'.

Halley said that he was coming back in Nov, and Duffy originally wasn't planning on coming until next year and changed his mind and let Gardiner know a couple of weeks ago. Guess it was first come first serve. What is funny, since neither have played a league game, Duffy could be inserted, but highly doubt that Gardiner would do that to a player.
Team looks good, get a healthy Carrol back and should make for an interesting playoff run, also sets up next year's team very nicely. Only a couple of players graduating!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille