UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
"In today's Gleaner, Gardiner MacDougall talks about Duffy coming to UNB. What's not mentioned is that Duffy had originaly committed to UNB, if pro didn't work out, back in May. Phillippe Halley was announced back in August."

So, why is Duffy the one sitting out the 2nd half? Did Halley say: 'No way am I sitting out'.

My take - Halley reached out in November about coming in while Duffy reached out a couple weeks ago. The impression I get is the possibility of Halley coming back was always higher due to the fact he was going to see how things were going to go in the first half before re-assessing his situation, while Duffy's AHL contract meant the chances of him showing up were slimmer. Basically it was a "first come, first serve" situation...Halley was in constant contact the whole time and made up his mind to come to UNB before Duffy did.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
What does it say about UNB (and Duffy as well) that a player of his calibre is willing to sit out 1/2 a season to play for them? He could have went to any school in the CIS and played right away (based on hockey talent).

Remember around the time the roster cap was being debated some coaches were complaining about UNB having "first liners in the stands" and how they thought they were recruiting players to basically keep them from other teams...I guess that is still happening!

Also, I love MacDougall's brutal honesty about the "stupid cap rule".

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
According to Pierre Arsenault, the cap was brought in to help teams save money.

Pierre Arsenault, chairman of Atlantic university men’s hockey, said some teams were concerned with costs of maintaining an expansive lineup.

“Out of respect to the economics of the league and for all (teams) involved, it made sense to have a reasonable cap,†said Arsenault, athletic director at Mount Allison.

“There was concern over the cost of roster sizes and the ability to bring in an unlimited number of players in season or at Christmas time for second semester. Now, once they get to 21, no new players can dress for the remainder of that season.

So the next rule that will come in will be that non-roster players are not permitted to practice or associate with the team until they are roster player??

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
"What does it say about UNB (and Duffy as well) that a player of his calibre is willing to sit out 1/2 a season to play for them? He could have went to any school in the CIS and played right away (based on hockey talent)."

I'm not trolling, honestly. But do you really think that Ben Duffy is sitting out because he loves UNB and will do anything to play there? I have no knowledge of anything going on, but I have to believe that he is getting some kind of "incentive" to do this. I will have to contact his dad and inquire. If there is nothing going on, I will move on.....

Big Bad Jon

Jan 29, 2012
Freddy Beach
Please provide your proof for UNB breaking the rules for player compensation as you are implying? Heaven forbid a player wanted to play for the consistently best team in the country. People implying that UNB are breaking rules is just bad for the CIS in general when they have no proof.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Please provide your proof for UNB breaking the rules for player compensation as you are implying? Heaven forbid a player wanted to play for the consistently best team in the country. People implying that UNB are breaking rules is just bad for the CIS in general when they have no proof.

It does raise legitimate suspicion.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
(Mod edit)Jon. Read what I posted. I didn't imply anything about UNB.

Heaven forbid that anyone post anything remotely negative about UNB on the UNB thread. Had this topic been on another thread, I would have posted there.

My expletive was edited by one of the Mods and I was chastised (quite rightly) by the Mod. My apologies to those who read this post before editing. I will endeavour to contain myself in the future.

Last edited:

Freddy Beach

Jun 14, 2013
Wonder who UNB will play in a 3rd exhibition game to make Duffy eligible for national if they make it.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Can't see it happening...it would have to be an NCAA team since I can't imagine any CIS teams are going to want to schedule an exhibition game in the middle of the season, let alone with the sole purpose of benefitting UNB.

austrooper

Feb 13, 2009
As I understand it, and I could be wrong, a player can miss the regular season and still play in the University Cup. The roster cap is an AUS-only rule. But I do need to track down and read the CIS regulations.

why would a player like a Duffy sit out the entire second half and then suit up for nationals? For one thing, wouldn't that use up a year of eligibility? That seems kind of stupid. Also, practice isn't like playing. So if Duffy practises with the team for the second half and then suits up for nationals, how effective could he be?

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
why would a player like a Duffy sit out the entire second half and then suit up for nationals? For one thing, wouldn't that use up a year of eligibility? That seems kind of stupid. Also, practice isn't like playing. So if Duffy practises with the team for the second half and then suits up for nationals, how effective could he be?

Not only that, but think about how the player he would be replacing - who helped the team get that far - would feel?

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB

Don't worry about AUS, he never has anything good to say regarding UNB, his bias is obvious.

As for the Duffy situation, I highly doubt that he will get in to the Nationals as I don't see UNB getting an exhibition game in time. As for the implication of wrong doing, just non sense. How hard is it to believe that a player may sit out for a season so that he may have a very good chance of winning a national championship? He's certainly not the first and definitely will not be the last. It's no different than a player sitting out a year due to transferring schools. He is not losing a year of eligibility.
As for the UNB Roster Rule, guess it didn't go as planned now did it.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Not only that, but think about how the player he would be replacing - who helped the team get that far - would feel?

Don't agree that he should replace a roster player, but what if there are injuries, have no problem replacing an injured player. And it is a very likely possibility considering Carrol might not be 100% yet.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
So how does everyone see the lines shaking out now that Halley is in the mix (assuming full health)?

I'm thinking something like Carroll/Culligan/Maillet, MacNeil/Braes/Nesbitt, Halley/Willick/Critchlow, Houde-Caron/MacDougall/Thomas. I hate to leave Maclise out but I don't see him supplanting any of the other guys unless there are injuries/suspensions...I would have him the first guy back in ahead of Labardo/Kewin.

On defence I would go with Desnoyers/Shutron/Robertson/Murray/Petgrave/Priamo with Cutting the odd man out more often than not.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
also sets up next year's team very nicely. Only a couple of players graduating!!

Just looking at their roster...they are losing Lavigne/Culligan/Kewin/Priamo for sure due to eligibility...probably Shutron as well (5th year of school, only 4th year of eligibility though due to his injury)...wouldn't be surprised to see their 4th year guys go as well (MacNeil/Desnoyers), and even Carroll.

So they are probably going to lose 4-8 guys...with Mignardi and Duffy in the fold they will be looking at 2-6 open spots, one of which will need to be a top tier goalie. If they can somehow return everyone except for the 5th year guys (unlikely, I know) they will be looking at a stacked team next year.

seniorC

Dec 31, 2013
Just looking at their roster...they are losing Lavigne/Culligan/Kewin/Priamo for sure due to eligibility...probably Shutron as well (5th year of school, only 4th year of eligibility though due to his injury)...wouldn't be surprised to see their 4th year guys go as well (MacNeil/Desnoyers), and even Carroll.

So they are probably going to lose 4-8 guys...with Mignardi and Duffy in the fold they will be looking at 2-6 open spots, one of which will need to be a top tier goalie. If they can somehow return everyone except for the 5th year guys (unlikely, I know) they will be looking at a stacked team next year.

Chris Carozzi will be there at Xmas.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB

I think that you will see MacNeil stick it out, and I wasn't expecting Carroll back this year, so chances are he will stay. I would like to see Joel V playing a little more, he is a solid goalie (or can be). Really expect him to be the starter next year.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
According to his goaltending stats, he would have one or possibly two years of eligibility left. He has played pro in the coast for at least 3 seasons, with some AHL experience as well.

Not only that, but he has really only had 1 good season in the last 4 (29 games with Ontario of the ECHL in 2011-12).

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Not sure why everyone is dismissing Joel Vinneau, he has decent stats and is a big mobile kid, think that he would be a solid starter next year. Not sure why he hasn't had more playing time against the weaker teams this season, perhaps Gardiner has no confidence in him? Not sure of that situation.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
Not sure why everyone is dismissing Joel Vinneau, he has decent stats and is a big mobile kid, think that he would be a solid starter next year. Not sure why he hasn't had more playing time against the weaker teams this season, perhaps Gardiner has no confidence in him? Not sure of that situation.

No one is dismissing Joel, all that was said is we need another solid goalie as in "we need 2 goalies in total"

Joel is very good, he suffered through injuries the whole first half of the season, and is now healthy, I'm sure you will see him start 4 or 5 times in the second half

As for UNB, regardless of who graduates, you know the talent will be there, but I admit Im getting nervous, about our shrinking in size, so many players under 5"11 or 185lbs and lower

seniorC

Dec 31, 2013
Didn't see the hit or video of it, but from talking to a couple of players, they thought that it was a clean hit. Unfortunately Mike is not going to get the benefit of doubt on anything, I am sure that the player that jumped him got no supplemental discipline. And just like last night's game with the spear on Thomas, nothing.

I have said it before, I heard some negative things about Mike (ie. work ethic, attitude and such) from playing in the SR league in NFLD, but think he has been one of UNB's better player and most consistent. He definitely has been giving 110% each game, and his physical play and attention from the Zebra's hasn't deterred Coach Mac from playing him.
Funny thing, he is so quiet and mild off the ice!

Halley said that he was coming back in Nov, and Duffy originally wasn't planning on coming until next year and changed his mind and let Gardiner know a couple of weeks ago. Guess it was first come first serve. What is funny, since neither have played a league game, Duffy could be inserted, but highly doubt that Gardiner would do that to a player.
Team looks good, get a healthy Carrol back and should make for an interesting playoff run, also sets up next year's team very nicely. Only a couple of players graduating!!

Curious on your sources on Thomas? He captained a Memorial Cup team and was known for his work ethic. He only played a few games in the Newfoundland league, and actually played most of his season with Grand Falls, NB, in a North West senior league in NB, where he was used in all situation, saw lots of ice time, was a dependable player, and there were absolutely no issues of work ethic or attitude. It has been noted many times he played senior in Newfoundland last season, but that was only a few weekends. Lavigne also played over half the season with Grand Falls, NB, of the same league, again he has also been mislabeled as only playing senior in Newfoundland.

Carozzi began playing senior with Perth Andover of the same North West that Mike and Charlie played for. I highly doubt he moved to the province to play senior in Perth Andover, therefore you have to assume he is sitting is year out to play at UNB. It is similar to Dan Lacosta showing up to UNB near the end of his years of eligibility. Interesting note, Carozzi was Jake Allen's back up back in the 2008 U18 tournament.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Curious on your sources on Thomas? He captained a Memorial Cup team and was known for his work ethic. He only played a few games in the Newfoundland league, and actually played most of his season with Grand Falls, NB, in a North West senior league in NB, where he was used in all situation, saw lots of ice time, was a dependable player, and there were absolutely no issues of work ethic or attitude. It has been noted many times he played senior in Newfoundland last season, but that was only a few weekends. Lavigne also played over half the season with Grand Falls, NB, of the same league, again he has also been mislabeled as only playing senior in Newfoundland.

Carozzi began playing senior with Perth Andover of the same North West that Mike and Charlie played for. I highly doubt he moved to the province to play senior in Perth Andover, therefore you have to assume he is sitting is year out to play at UNB. It is similar to Dan Lacosta showing up to UNB near the end of his years of eligibility. Interesting note, Carozzi was Jake Allen's back up back in the 2008 U18 tournament.

I have heard it at the rink, it was that he was cut from the NFLD team. Like I have said before, I think that he has been great for the team, he has settled down nicely and starting to contribute nicely on the score sheet despite being a target for the zebras.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Is that Houde-Caron playing for UNB tonight? It's #8 on the jersey but for some reason there is no name on it. If so I don't think Halley is playing (or Thomas, Willick, Labardo from what I can tell)...and they seem to be going back to rolling 11F and 7D for some reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad