UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I missed the game last night. Did the VReds take their foot off the gas after the 4-0 lead or did Nadeau just play better? How did Vienneau look?

Nadeau regrouped after the 1st and played well the rest of the game.

Vinneau just looked alright. UNB Bruins Fan described the first and third goals well. The second one was on him - he was way off his angle.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
I take it that Tyler wasn't ready to come back just yet or was it him that went off towards the end of the game of Wednesday nights game? There was a player that went right off through the middle doors late in the third period, didn't see who it was.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I take it that Tyler wasn't ready to come back just yet or was it him that went off towards the end of the game of Wednesday nights game? There was a player that went right off through the middle doors late in the third period, didn't see who it was.

That was Houde-Caron, who like Carroll didn't play tonight.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Robertson, Houde-Caron, and Willick were all out. I don't remember Willick playing the last part of the game against UPEI last weekend so I assume he got hurt at some point in that game.

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
If I was Ben Duffy I would be thinking hard about going the College Route at the Christmas Break. Based on his AHL and minor pro days so far he will quickly fizzle out as a pro player.

Going the University route now will not only allow him to get his degree, but will give him 2 to 4 years to build his game, and strength and another shot at the pros

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
If I was Ben Duffy I would be thinking hard about going the College Route at the Christmas Break. Based on his AHL and minor pro days so far he will quickly fizzle out as a pro player.

Going the University route now will not only allow him to get his degree, but will give him 2 to 4 years to build his game, and strength and another shot at the pros

I thought someone here wrote that he didn't come to UNB because he decided he wasn't "cut out for University". While it might not be true we have to remember that these are student athletes. They have to be able to handle the schoolwork as well.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Phillippe Maillet has been a godsend for the V-Reds so far. Scored a highlight reel goal last night against Dal.

He's been very impressive. Slick with the puck and excellent hockey sense. The only rookies I haven't been impressed with are Labardo and Vienneau. They don't all have the flash of Maillet or Petgrave, but they all bring a valuable set of skills to the team.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I thought someone here wrote that he didn't come to UNB because he decided he wasn't "cut out for University". While it might not be true we have to remember that these are student athletes. They have to be able to handle the schoolwork as well.

I think that might have been Hynes.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com

FYI - he has forfeited his CHL package as a result of playing in the AHL. So, the CIS Route is a bit more expensive now which may hold him back from making that decision sooner rather than later.

Since he's 21 - he would have to decide by Jan. 10th (or around that time) else sit out all next season (based on 365 day rule) and lose a year of eligibility for playing 1 season of pro after turning 21. As such - we would not see him play until Sept. 2015 if he waits too long to decide (much like the boat Mignardi is in now)

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
- Well that was pretty ugly...UNB's defensive zone play has been an adventure at times this year...and Lavigne still doesn't instill a ton of confidence in me even if his numbers aren't that bad.

- I don't think there is any doubt that Acadia is the team to beat this year...getting that top spot and home-ice through the playoffs will be huge.

- Having said all of that that, if you had told me at the first of the year that UNB would be 11-2-1 at the break with Carroll only having 1 goal I would have taken it.

- Will be interesting to see what UNB does over the break...they have been pretty healthy so far (at least compared to some years), but I can't imagine they will leave a roster spot open for the rest of the year. I really like their top-6 right now but it would be nice to add a bonafide sniper as they seem to lack finish this year...there have been a couple games where they couldn't put teams away despite controlling the play pretty handily.

- So are they just playing STU over X-Mas? If so, that is quite disappointing. Would have liked to see an NCAA or OUA/CW team.

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Yeah, it's disappointing that they only have the one game but I think it has to do with the fact that they will have players (and coaches) at the University games.

As for Lavinge's play he can be streaky. I've seen him win a couple of games on his own though. Most memorable being the win against Denver. Not too concerned. Thought they should have given Vienneau a couple of more starts though. Like Friday night against Dal.

I missed the Thomas fight against Brown. Hope it was really a fight and not just heavy roughing. I guess he will be missing the game against STU on the 28th.

Ironic how the first half ends so similar to last year with Acadia beating UNB to take a one point lead in the standings. Hopefully like last season UNB also picks up its play to dominate the second half.

Last edited:

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
I'm very happy with where they are at the break - with seven rookies (not counting Vinneau & Kewin) and to be 1pt out of first - that's awesome.

The big difference from last year is the drop in the standings for SMU and SFX who were 3rd/4th last year with 23 & 20pts - a far cry from the 13 & 15 they have this season. That has to be the biggest difference this season - how the middle pack is clumped together - 4 teams within 2pts. A poor weekend could see you drop from 3rd to 6th.

STU has been a lot better, but remain on the outside looking in. UPEI is where they were last year at 6th with 13pts, but Dal was at 12 while STU this season is at 9. I don't see them winning enough games on their own to get into 6th - they will have to hope someone falters.

With one card left - I'd like to see a DMan, we have enough forwards.

Now that all of the rookies having played in each arena and add a healthly Houde-Caron, Carroll and Robertson - the second half should be good.

I wish Vinneau had played against Dal - if this is the next #1, what are they waiting for?

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Capt. Culligan got his 100th Reg. Season Assist on Friday vs Dal.

The assist was originally given to Cam Critchlow, but was corrected early this week.

He joins H. Tremblay and R. Hennigar as the only players to achive 100+ in GP, Assists and Pts accumulated in Reg. Seasons games alone (without having to include playoffs and/or nationals)

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
In case anyone hadn't heard, former UNB goalie Dan LaCosta announced his retirement from hockey yesterday, after his third concussion this season with the British pro team Cardiff Devils in Wales.

From today's story in the Gleaner:

LaCosta, who backstopped the Varsity Reds to a national title last season, announced his retirement on Tuesday after suffering his third concussion this season playing as an import for the Cardiff Devils in the Elite International Hockey League.

The team doctor and a neurologist both advised LaCosta it would be in his best interests to hang up the goalie pads for good.

"It was especially tough with the way the year started," LaCosta said from Wales. "I had a couple (concussions) and it took me a little bit to get my game going, to really feel good and get in a rhythm. I was playing, I felt, some of the best hockey of my career ... then I got hurt again."

It is worth reading the details if you have a Gleaner account or get the paper.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Here's a question...if they both play in the exhibition game tomorrow, but one has to sit the rest of the year due to the roster limit...does that mean that player will burn a year of eligibility for essentially one game? Or do exhibition games not count towards eligibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad