UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Is that Houde-Caron playing for UNB tonight? It's #8 on the jersey but for some reason there is no name on it. If so I don't think Halley is playing (or Thomas, Willick, Labardo from what I can tell)...and they seem to be going back to rolling 11F and 7D for some reason

It is Houte-Caron, Thomas is out due to suspension, Halley is in, wears 98. Labardo is not listed, but Willick is.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
It is Houte-Caron, Thomas is out due to suspension, Halley is in, wears 98. Labardo is not listed, but Willick is.

Willick and Halley are listed on the box score but I don't think either are playing..haven't seen them out there. The box score has 20 skaters listed and I think those are the 2 who are out.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Just caught the end of the second, so not sure. Wouldn't make much sense if Halley is on the score sheet and not dressed would it? Strange.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Absolutely no confidence in either Lavigne or this defence...should be about 9-1 for X right now...brutal 2nd period.

I've had no confidence in Lavigne since day 1. He's a battler, I'll give him that, but he's just not very good.

Hopefully Vienneau can get a few more starts in the second half and get things together. Hard position to play when you've only started twice in like 4+ months.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Just caught the end of the second, so not sure. Wouldn't make much sense if Halley is on the score sheet and not dressed would it? Strange.

Looks like Halley was wearing Houde-Caron's #8 this weekend, instead of his #98. Thus probably the confusion on the scoresheet ...

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Huge comeback win for them tonight...hopefully the type of win that can get them going on a good streak. They are still slightly ahead of last year when they were 12-4-0 at this time.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I assume you mean a win after last nights loss as opposed to a comeback tonight, where they only trailed by a goal.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Say what you will about him, but this team missed Thomas this weekend, there was no spark out there, looked like they were going through the motions at times.
Any word on Carroll, I didn't notice anything in the X game but didn't watch all of it. I'd say rest him until the time he is 100% healthy and ready to go, no sense rushing him back only to get hurt again.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
Yes it does, according to what was posted, as long as he was in 3 exhibition games, he would be deemed eligible for the Nationals if UNB were to make it to the Nationals. He would use a year of eligibility but would be permitted to play. Or that is my understanding.

Big Bad Jon

Jan 29, 2012
Freddy Beach
Given the apparent imminent strike of UNB faculty, will this have any impact on the hockey team? I assume the university will essentially shut down during the strike? Also, is the coaching staff part of the academic faculty or are they funded differently?

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
UNB won't shut down. The faculty association (prof's union) is threatening strike, and most likely will walk off the job after their deadline of Monday midnight.

But part-time instructors are not in that bargaining unit. Nor are staff (who aren't all unionized). They will all be at work, although the full-time profs no doubt will try to pressure the part-time instructors not to cross their picket lines.

Athletics will continue. I am pretty certain the full-time coaches are not part of the faculty association, but I have been known to be wrong. The varsity schedule for all sports should be untouched. The only thing affected will be classes (which is obviously a big deal) and the library to some extent (librarians are in same bargaining unit as profs).

SnipeShow91

Aug 9, 2010
St. Thomas had a teachers strike in my third year there and it didn't affect Athletics. It was buisness as usual then. I'm sure it will be the same at UNB.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
According to his Twitter, Antoine Houde-Caron is no longer with the V-Reds. Apparently he graduated at X-Mas and is now in grad school at Concordia and part of the Stingers. Where he is now doing graduate studies I wonder if that means he can start playing right away with them (like when you transfer after the season such as Pridham/Swan/Cuddihy/etc.), or if he has to sit out until next X-Mas....never remember a situation where a player transfers mid-season to go to grad school.

I had a feeling something might have been up and it wasn't simply a case of him taking a while to recover from his injury. Maybe UNB can find some kind of loophole in the roster cap rules for a unique situation like this and they can have Duffy take his place haha.

I do wonder though if the coaching staff knew this was a possibility going into the season, kind of crappy that this happens the first year of the roster cap and they won't be able to fill his spot.

In terms of the game tonight, a few thoughts:

- Nice bounce back game from Lavigne, who has had a couple tough games recently.

- I noticed they had Halley and Maillet out there with Culligan for one shift in the first period and Halley was about an inch from getting a breakaway. I am surprised they haven't tried that combination more often (might have been the first time, actually) as Halley seems like he is more of a first line guy than Critchlow, who I think is better suited for the 3rd line. It seems to make too much sense to flip those two.

- I also noticed Nesbitt out there killing a penalty, if ever so briefly. First time in 3 years I think I have seen that.

- I think I would sit Maclise for a bit and give Willick some more time. Maclise hasn't really done much and Willick brings above average face-off skills and penalty killing (which would be good to give top line guys like Culligan/MacNeil/Maillet, who also kill penalties, a rest).

- It has been nice to see the PP become effective again this season after a few frustrating years.

- The defensive zone play is still frustrating to watch though...too many turnovers on seemingly simple plays in their own zone has eventually led to a penalty or a goal way too often this year.

Last edited:

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Who else thinks that this might turn into a two game series? :laugh:

radapex - I'm not exactly up to date on eligiblity rules, but I assume this has something to do with Ben Duffy?

Prov1X - Yes it does, according to what was posted, as long as he was in 3 exhibition games, he would be deemed eligible for the Nationals if UNB were to make it to the Nationals. He would use a year of eligibility but would be permitted to play. Or that is my understanding.

Not possible - Maine, as a NCAA D1 Team, has a season game cap of 34 games (plus 1 preseason game vs DAL for a total of 35). They will be at 35 with this game (#34 is the X game the previous Tuesday). Note: the limit of 34 can be extended - some in-season tournaments, special games (eg. US U18 team) and games played in Alaska are exempted from the 34-game limit - playing UNB isn't special enough to get another rematch.

The X and UNB games are due to a scheduling issue Maine had in November where they had singleton games on two weekends. Their poor showing last year mixed with adding Notre Dame hurt their chances at finding dance partners so they have had to resort to playing the AUS teams to max-out their schedule.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
According to his Twitter, Antoine Houde-Caron is no longer with the V-Reds. Apparently he graduated at X-Mas and is now in grad school at Concordia and part of the Stingers. Where he is now doing graduate studies I wonder if that means he can start playing right away with them (like when you transfer after the season such as Pridham/Swan/Cuddihy/etc.), or if he has to sit out until next X-Mas....never remember a situation where a player transfers mid-season to go to grad school.

I had a feeling something might have been up and it wasn't simply a case of him taking a while to recover from his injury. Maybe UNB can find some kind of loophole in the roster cap rules for a unique situation like this and they can have Duffy take his place haha.

I can accept a hard roster cap but not being able to replace players who have left the program is ridiculous. I doubt the AUS will be sympathetic though.

The defensive zone play is still frustrating to watch though...too many turnovers on seemingly simple plays in their own zone has eventually led to a penalty or a goal way too often this year.

Agreed. They were just sloppy at times.

I'm beginning to agree with the conspiracy theorists about the refs having it in for Mike Thomas. I was sitting right in front of the action for that roughing penalty he was assessed in the third period. I have no idea where that call came from. These refs must remember him from the Q because he hasn't been in the AUS long enough to earn a reputation.

Glad to see Halley get his first goal. He really impressed me tonight. I noticed he even had time on the penalty kill.

So what is the deal with Carroll? Like Houde-Caron I'm beginning to worry that something else is up. He played in Italy so I don't know why he is out of the lineup.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I'm beginning to agree with the conspiracy theorists about the refs having it in for Mike Thomas. I was sitting right in front of the action for that roughing penalty he was assessed in the third period. I have no idea where that call came from. These refs must remember him from the Q because he hasn't been in the AUS long enough to earn a reputation.

So what is the deal with Carroll? Like Houde-Caron I'm beginning to worry that something else is up. He played in Italy so I don't know why he is out of the lineup.

I was going to mention the Thomas penalties...it really does seem like they have it out for him. His first penalty was questionable enough but the one in the 3rd was ridiculous.

As for Carroll, unless he just re-aggravated his injury against X last Saturday I don't know. I can't imagine they would let him play in Italy unless he was 100% recovered from his injury. Remember, he did take a shot up high near the end of the gold medal game so maybe that has something to do with it...a concussion perhaps. Maybe he played against X to see how he was feeling and something still wasn't quite right. Who knows...

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
Hmmmm Strange

Houde-Caron starts the season on Fire gets hurt doesn't really play again and graduates at Xmas? this doesn't add up, there is no possible way UNB goes into the first season of the roster cap and lets any player play take up a roster space knowing they would be done at Christmas. It wouldn't matter if that player was Hunter Tremblay, its a wasted space on the team when someone else like a QMJHL Leading scorer Ben Duffy could be with the team for the stretch run and Playoffs

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Houde-Caron completed his degree in two and half years, thanks to being a good student and having lots of CEGEP credits when he came to UNB. The plan was apparently to move into a graduate program after Christmas at UNB, but that didn't work out in the end. He's from Quebec. His girlfriend followed him to UNB, graduated, and is back in Quebec. He enrolled in grad school in Concordia, which of course is in Quebec. See a trend here with his Plan B? Not all players let their life be completely controlled by hockey.

Of course MacDougall wanted him to stay, but believe it or not he doesn't control grad school admissions at UNB, and Houdy understandably didn't want to waste this term academically after his original plan didn't work out. Good for him.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I too believe that Mike Thomas is being singled out for penalties, and Friday's game was a pretty convincing example of it.

As for Carroll, apparently the neck injury he suffered when he got mugged in the gold-medal FISU game is bothering him. He won't play against Moncton either Saturday.

Coach MacDougall says if it was playoffs, Carroll would play, but otherwise they're going to be cautious.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
The X and UNB games are due to a scheduling issue Maine had in November where they had singleton games on two weekends. Their poor showing last year mixed with adding Notre Dame hurt their chances at finding dance partners so they have had to resort to playing the AUS teams to max-out their schedule.

I was actually being sarcastic about the second exhibition game, I would love to see Duffy in the lineup yes, but I would rather see him play a full year rather than giving up a year of eligibility for what 3 games? I think he is going to be great for the time. Also noticed that Halley is starting to get his game together.

I think that I had originally brought it up about Mike, I missed the first penalty on him (goaltender interference), but the second one was ridiculous, I believe it is the same ref that called him for the check to the head in the STU game and nothing when the STU player speared him. One thing that I did say last night, at least Gardiner is not punishing him for the penalties, because he is still getting good ice time (and deserving it). It's a shame that the zebra's think that we pay to come see them try to put on a show.

It is an upper body injury for Carroll, glad they are not rushing him back, gonna need him 100% for the playoffs.

Big Bad Jon

Jan 29, 2012
Freddy Beach
Yeah, the Thomas thing is ridiculous. He gets called at every possible opportunity or scrum and yet mid-way through the 3rd, he took a vicious cross-check in the back after the whistle with the ref looking right at it and nothing called. He would've been thrown out if he did that.

Great to see him score the GWG though, what a shot! Glad Gardiner keeps playing him, he is a grinder they need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->