UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Any word on the Houde-Caron/Cutting injuries?

Do we know for sure they are both injured? I assume Houde-Caron must be as I can't imagine him being out of the line-up for any other reason considering how he has been playing. Cutting I figured was just a healthy scratch as they wanted to go with 12 forwards/6 defenceman instead of 11/7 like last weekend, but maybe he is injured as well??

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Maillet

This is new news, as I can't remember his name coming up as a possible recruit.
UNB didn't land big name recruits in Duffy, Ranford or Halley and it's is no secret that they were still looking at landing another impact recruit or two.
Maillet is not a big body,but he is a 2 time former 30+ goal scorer from Victoriaville.
Will he be a regular?
I believe that UNB has filled all roster spots with the exception of one?
Did Ranford sign an AHL contract?

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
This is new news, as I can't remember his name coming up as a possible recruit.
UNB didn't land big name recruits in Duffy, Ranford or Halley and it's is no secret that they were still looking at landing another impact recruit or two.
Maillet is not a big body,but he is a 2 time former 30+ goal scorer from Victoriaville.
Will he be a regular?
I believe that UNB has filled all roster spots with the exception of one?
Did Ranford sign an AHL contract?

Yeah, his addition kind of came out of nowhere as I don't ever remember his name even being mentioned as a possibility during the summer (for any team, let alone UNB). Just looking at his profile on eliteprospects it appears he had a tryout with the Ontario Reign of the ECHL a couple weeks ago but did not get offered a contract.

Considering the numbers he put up in junior I expect him to not only be a regular but being in the top 6, but the only problem is who do you take out when everyone is healthy? He looked good with Culligan and Critchlow on the top line last night but I figure as soon as Carroll is back (which, granted, could be awhile) the top line will go back to Culligan/Nesbitt/Carroll with MacNeil/Braes for sure on the 2nd line...one would think those 5 guys are set in stone on the top two lines so it probably comes down to Maillet/Maclise for the other spot.

I'm thinking something like this: 1st Line of Carroll/Culligan/Nesbitt, 2nd Line of MacNeil/Braes/Maillet, 2rd Line of Maclise/Critchlow/Willick or Labardo, and the 4th Line some combination of Houde-Caron/MacDougall/Thomas/Kewin.

As for the defencemen...who knows, they have all looked pretty good so far. I think the only guys who are a given to be in there every night are Desnoyers/Shutron with the other 5 (Petgrave/Murray/Priamo/Cutting/Robertson) all getting the odd game off.

Yes, they do have 1 more spot they can fill, but I expect that to be at Christmas.

Regarding Ranford...it looks like he signed an AHL contract with Texas a couple weeks ago.

Last edited:

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
UNB has played 21 (7+14) skaters so far leaving 1 remaining card.

They have 7 D-men (Murray, Robertson, Priamo, Petgrave, Shutron, Cutting and Desnoyers). The AUS list Desnoyers as a forward, go figure.

They have 14 Forwards, just a bit crowded up front when everyone is health (Critchlow, Culligan, Maillet / MacNeil, Braes, MacLise / Labardo, Nesbitt, Willick / Kewin, MacDougall, Thomas and injured Houde-Caron & Carroll)

From what I can tell - it looks like Joel Vinneau didn't make the road trip? I wonder what's up with that? The kid has only played 8min of hockey this year. Just a guess - pulled groin.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
There is only one berth from the AUS going to Nationals this year, so every point is crucial in order to finish first to gain home ice throughout the AUS playoffs. Little time to experiment, as one game might be the difference in a first round bye, so I expect that Lavigne will continue to play the games, until maybe they put up some distance between the competition.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Houde-Caron still out with an undisclosed injury. Carroll might be out for all the first half. Offense is going to be harder to come by. Should be a close one against Les Aigles tonight.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Houde-Caron has a "lower body injury".

I suspect Moncton is going to be very hungry to play UNB tonight (only Acadia, SMU & UdeM managed wins against UNB last year in the regular season) and they will have the bonus of being well-rested, since their game against UPEI was postponed last night due to high winds closing the Fixed Link.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Carroll

Carroll is a least 2 weeks away,which means no all star game that's for sure.
UNB with several posts last night against a very good performance from STU's backup goaltender.
Maillet with many dangerous shots from the slot area.
STU is better than last year, that's obvious and seem to be much more structured under Pat Powers.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
I wonder if they will give Vienneau his first start on Wednesday? He hasn't played since the exhibition season.

Have to be happy with Lavinge's play thus far. Although I tend to get a little nervous because he plays the puck so much (as was demonstrated last night).

I bought myself a CIS champs hat at the game. Haven't seen anything else though. Might check out Sub Town.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I wonder if they will give Vienneau his first start on Wednesday? He hasn't played since the exhibition season.

Have to be happy with Lavinge's play thus far. Although I tend to get a little nervous because he plays the puck so much (as was demonstrated last night).

I bought myself a CIS champs hat at the game. Haven't seen anything else though. Might check out Sub Town.

My friends and I have a "Lavigne Fall Count" going every game :laugh:

I'm not a big fan of Lavigne's goaltending, but that's more because I don't like his style of play rather than his effectiveness.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Lavigne definitely makes things interesting every time the puck is around his net. I have come to realize that there will probably be a few times over the course of the season in which his aggressiveness with the puck will come back and burn them but his willingness, and effectiveness, at shooting the puck out of the zone on the PK is a big advantage IMO. Gotta take the good with the bad I guess.

Also, I am really liking how the team is shaping up thus far...all of the rookies are bringing something different to the team (Maclise with his size, Labardo with speed, Willick with PKing and all-out hustle, Maillet with his creativity and offense, Thomas doing his best Harty impression getting under the skin of the opposition, Murray and Petgarve with offense from the back-end, and Cutting as a solid defensive defenceman)...and they should be even better once Carroll and Houde-Caron get healthy (provided no one else goes down in the mean time). Overall I have been pleasantly surprised as they have been much better than I would have thought, but Wednesday's game against UPEI will be a big test. You know the Panthers will be hungry after the last two playoffs and their arena will be packed.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Yeah, looking forward to watching it. The Panthers will definitely be brining their A game.

I was really surprised to hear that the November 16th game against Dal is general admission for elementary school night. I thought one of the benefits of having assigned seating was so that you could keep your seat for the entire season?

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Yeah, looking forward to watching it. The Panthers will definitely be brining their A game.

I was really surprised to hear that the November 16th game against Dal is general admission for elementary school night. I thought one of the benefits of having assigned seating was so that you could keep your seat for the entire season?

That's a good point, but the only way they can make the school nights work is to put the kids in blocks of seats by section. The parents/teachers can't manage the kids if they're all over the AUC.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Lavigne definitely makes things interesting every time the puck is around his net. I have come to realize that there will probably be a few times over the course of the season in which his aggressiveness with the puck will come back and burn them but his willingness, and effectiveness, at shooting the puck out of the zone on the PK is a big advantage IMO. Gotta take the good with the bad I guess.

Also, I am really liking how the team is shaping up thus far...all of the rookies are bringing something different to the team (Maclise with his size, Labardo with speed, Willick with PKing and all-out hustle, Maillet with his creativity and offense, Thomas doing his best Harty impression getting under the skin of the opposition, Murray and Petgarve with offense from the back-end, and Cutting as a solid defensive defenceman)...and they should be even better once Carroll and Houde-Caron get healthy (provided no one else goes down in the mean time). Overall I have been pleasantly surprised as they have been much better than I would have thought, but Wednesday's game against UPEI will be a big test. You know the Panthers will be hungry after the last two playoffs and their arena will be packed.

The rookies have been very impressive. I wasn't sure what to expect as it seems to be the highest turnover they've had in years, but there's some real talent joining the team.

Looking up and down the lineup, it's hard to pinpoint exactly who will be out when Carroll and Houde-Caron are healthy.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
UNB was still getting tons of good chances, including a bunch that didn't even end up as a shot on goal, but Nadeua was playing very well.

Vienneau played OK, but I still don't think there has been any game yet that he has really impressed me...the 1st goal was a scrambly play in their own end that you could just kind of see coming...and the 3rd one was a shot from the point that was either deflected in front or he was screened on.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I will say, I would like to see them go back to 12 forwards/6 D instead of 11/7...it seems like the lines are a bit of a mess right now with so many different combinations being used. Hopefully when Carroll gets back the lines will be a bit more consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad