UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
Nice rebound win against Denver. Didn't get a chance to watch the game but I see Shutron scored both goals.

Charlies was SOLID in nets and Ben got the goals (and if you want to be picky - an assist on the Denver goal). He (I think it was him) missed a one-timer at the point on the 5-3 PP which sprung the Denver player returning to the ice from his penalty. The same player beat Lavigne in the shoot-out with the same move.

It was a good game. UNB slowed down as the game progressed and Denver started to press harder, but UNB showed no signs of 'panic'. Denver's Power Plays in the 3rd account for most of the shots. UNB had a very good chance early in the third with a clean shot from the point by Murray (I think) hit the bulls eye.

I didn't see or hear Carrol's name mentioned, but I believe everyone else played.

UNB lost the shoot-out 2-1. UNB's shooters were Cam MacLise (save), Murray (score-low right side) Houde-Carron (save-reach back between his legs move - like Marek Malik a few years back, but he hit the goalie's blocker) and Braes (lost the handle on the puck - no shot, he looked to be trying the same move from Saturday night).

Last edited:

Nick Murray

Mar 9, 2013
Fredericton, NB
Hockey back on CHSR

Just some shameless promotion here, but CHSR is back this year with all 14 UNB home games, PLUS both road games vs. STU. We're also looking into both Moncton road games, but nothing's confirmed yet.

All games are live on CHSR 97.9FM, on Rogers Digital Channel 946 and online at Chsrfm.ca. We're also on Bell Fibre-OP and satellite, but I'm not sure which channel.

Cheers!

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
Signed in online to my Canada east Gleaner account with excitement to check out the AUS hockey preview, and I cannot find it on there, anyone know if this is not available for the online paper?

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Anyone have an update on Carroll? The fact that he has had 2 weeks to recover since their last game and still didn't play tonight isn't good.

I am surprised Willick didn't play tonight (unless he is injured as well) as they decided to go with 11 forwards/7 defenceman...made for some line juggling and seemed like there were times when everyone wasn't in sync.

I thought the 4th line guys (Kewin/Thomas/MacDougall/Houde-Caron) were all very good tonight.

Kind of find it interesting that G. MacDougall was complaining about the new roster cap in today's Gleaner, but they are still two guys under (if my math is right). I understand leaving one spot open until X-Mas but I figured they would have brought in another guy by now....unless they think there will be 2 guys to get at X-Mas?? I can't remember the last time they only had 2 guys in the stands.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
He was slashed or cross-checked according to Coach MacDougall.

Hopefully nothing too serious...having 2/3rds of their top line out for any amount of time would be a huge blow (obviously)...not to mention they would be down to no healthy scratches.

I know Thomas' game is to play right on that line...but tonight I think he crossed it a few times and let his emotions get the best of him.

Last edited:

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Anyone know or see what might have happened to Nesbitt? I never seen him leave the ice in any noticeable pain.

He was slashed or cross-checked according to Coach MacDougall.

He seemed to be favouring his back, and was noticeably in pain.

Hopefully nothing too serious...having 2/3rds of their top line out for any amount of time would be a huge blow (obviously)...not to mention they would be down to no healthy scratches.

I know Thomas' game is to play right on that line...but tonight I think he crossed it a few times and let his emotions get the best of him.

He was furious that the ref did nothing when he lost his skate blade.

Anyone know where Anthony Peters was tonight? He wasn't even dressed as backup to Black...

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
So only one person threw their hat out on the ice when Culligen got his hat trick?

I would have thrown mine on the ice but I have hair so I don't wear a hat. :naughty:

Last edited:

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB

He certainly plays on the edge, and took a couple of bad penalties, but he certainly is entertaining and provides some fire in the lineup. Figured that he would have been riding the bench from the 2nd period on (after the misconduct) but Gardiner kept putting him out there. I have been quite impressed with him, he certainly has been putting in the effort every shift.

As for the skate incident, I don't blame him for being angry with the ref, it could have been easily blown down as possession changed a couple of times in the SMU zone and then led to a 5 on 4 advantage in the UNB zone. He certainly couldn't have skated back to the bench.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
So only one person threw their hat out on the ice when Culligen got his hat trick?

I would have thrown mine on the ice but I have hair so I don't wear a hat. :naughty:

I usually wear a hat, despite having hair, but happened to leave it home that night.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
He certainly plays on the edge, and took a couple of bad penalties, but he certainly is entertaining and provides some fire in the lineup. Figured that he would have been riding the bench from the 2nd period on (after the misconduct) but Gardiner kept putting him out there. I have been quite impressed with him, he certainly has been putting in the effort every shift.

As for the skate incident, I don't blame him for being angry with the ref, it could have been easily blown down as possession changed a couple of times in the SMU zone and then led to a 5 on 4 advantage in the UNB zone. He certainly couldn't have skated back to the bench.

A little over a week ago, we watch an NHL ref help push Steven Stamkos to the bench when he broke a skate blade. There's absolutely no reason the same couldn't have been done for Thomas.

On a different note, I was excited to see Willick in the lineup Saturday and he didn't disappoint. Ton of speed and created some nice offensive zone pressure.

Prov1X

Feb 26, 2012
Fredericton NB
A little over a week ago, we watch an NHL ref help push Steven Stamkos to the bench when he broke a skate blade. There's absolutely no reason the same couldn't have been done for Thomas.

Actually Kerry Fraser wrote about this exact same thing on his blog on TSN.ca, http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/kerry_fraser/?id=434181

The play should have been blown down once possession changed in my opinion. But yet again, UNB seems to draw the best of the best when it comes to officiating.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
On a different note, I was excited to see Willick in the lineup Saturday and he didn't disappoint. Ton of speed and created some nice offensive zone pressure.

I was glad Gardiner chose to play Dylan, if for no other reason that it was his 21st birthday. Based on the early going, it looks like Willick and JP Labardo may be competing against each other for game starts. Neither has the size/toughness of Shea Kewin nor Mike Thomas, and Thomas is showing more jump than I expected (I doubt he'll ever be a healthy scratch).

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I was glad Gardiner chose to play Dylan, if for no other reason that it was his 21st birthday. Based on the early going, it looks like Willick and JP Labardo may be competing against each other for game starts. Neither has the size/toughness of Shea Kewin nor Mike Thomas, and Thomas is showing more jump than I expected (I doubt he'll ever be a healthy scratch).

Willick/Labardo will benefit from the injuries to Carroll and Nesbitt, that's for sure. Both are better suited for a scoring role than a grinding one.

From what I've been able to gather, the lineup with a full healthy roster should look something like this:

Carroll - Culligan - Nesbitt
MacNeil - Braes - MacLise
Critchlow - Houde-Caron - Labardo/Willick
Thomas - MacDougall - Kewin

I've got no idea who the odd man out is on defense. It's got to be one of the rookies, but I could see them rotating in and out of the lineup as all look pretty good.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
New recruit Phillippe Maillet is in the line-up for UNB tonight, wearing #16 and playing on the top line. He looks really good so far.

Nesbitt is playing, but it looks like Carroll/Houde-Caron/Cutting are all out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad