UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
One man's opinion:

The three new D all look like great additions. Murray stood out to me, knowing when to jump into play, a nice shot and a solid build. Petgrave has soft hands and will help PP. Cutting a solid defensive presence.

Thomas looks like he will play a key role on checking unit. Physical presence.

Maclise looked okay, big frame. I am sure with a few days of practise he will look better.

Willick will be a good addition. Didn't jump out at me but that also means didn't do much wrong.

Labardo is small. Has speed but I don't see him at Salituro's skill level. It will be an adjustment for him this season.

Speaking of Salituro, he will be playing for Western this year since there is no room for him on the
Reds roster (cap). That's the rumor.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Speaking of Salituro, he will be playing for Western this year since there is no room for him on the
Reds roster (cap). That's the rumor.

UNB still has a spot or two available, don't they? Unless there is something we don't know regarding potential recruits coming in.

Is Salituro doing a Masters? That would be the only way he could play this year without sitting out the year, isn't it? Although I wonder with the new cap, if a player gets cut they could petition to the CIS to go play at another school without sitting out the year (not saying this is the case with Salituro...I believe he did graduate).

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Unb

UNB still has a spot or two available, don't they? Unless there is something we don't know regarding potential recruits coming in.

Is Salituro doing a Masters? That would be the only way he could play this year without sitting out the year, isn't it? Although I wonder with the new cap, if a player gets cut they could petition to the CIS to go play at another school without sitting out the year (not saying this is the case with Salituro...I believe he did graduate).

Ranford, Halley who were recruited by UNB could be back before the second half? Duffy isn't cut out for school as was earlier mentioned. One roster spot will at least be left open in hopes that one of these players or another decides to leave minor pro. There is always an impact player or two that decides to leave the coast before January. Desnoyer, Harnden, Kidd etc......
They have a solid team, maybe as good as last year??
An impact player for the second half will be on the radar for sure, especially a goal scorer!

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Where did Frazee from Lakehead go? Impact player that seemed to burn his own bridges, but then again there has been a lot of players and coaches come and go in T-Bay. He would have to sit a year, but did he quit before the second half of the 2012-13 season. I believe they lost McDonald to the U of S last year.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com

I think every AUS coach will leave a spot open just in case. I think we're good for forwards, but an extra Dman would be good.

Coach told me he graduated, so likely a secondary degree of some sort.

One man's opinion:
Labardo is small. Has speed but I don't see him at Salituro's skill level. It will be an adjustment for him this season.

I think J.P. is a better playmaker (he sees the ice better) than Stefan(not that he was 'bad' - I was a support of his play) - just needs some time to acclimatize to the AUS and I think he'll be a solid player.

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
Where did Frazee from Lakehead go? Impact player that seemed to burn his own bridges, but then again there has been a lot of players and coaches come and go in T-Bay. He would have to sit a year, but did he quit before the second half of the 2012-13 season. I believe they lost McDonald to the U of S last year.
Thomas Frazee was asked to leave the Lakehead team by the Athletic Dept. Nothing more was provided to media.

SuperSquirrel

Aug 28, 2008
UNB vs. Portland

What time does the game start today? Anyone know of a way to follow it... ticker maybe?

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
What time does the game start today? Anyone know of a way to follow it... ticker maybe?

The schedule says 2pm, also confirmed by the Pirates Twitter account

Portland Pirates ‏@PortlandPirates 2h
It's game day for the first time this season! The Pirates take on @UNBHockey in Exhibition action at @MHGIceCentre at 1 - admission is free!

No audio or video from the Pirates, so unless UNB get a stream together there doesn't appear to be any way to watch/hear the game.

Last edited:

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
The only way to follow the UNB-Portland games appears to be by Twitter, following @JeffMannix and ‏@PortlandPirates.

After 1 period there is no score with the Pirates outshooting UNB 12-4.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
In the Portland Pirates 4-0 win over UNB Philippe Halley scored a goal for the Pirates. Gotta love irony. :laugh:

Noticed that Daine Todd was also in the lineup for Portland.

Anyway looking forward to the Carleton game on Friday. The Ravens were one goal away last season(against UQTR in ot) from making it to the Nationals. They may be the best team in the OUA this season.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Well the Ravens did impress me Friday night even though it was a penalty filled affair. Wouldn't be surprised to see them in Saskatchewan this March.

Hope the VReds improve on the PP as the season progresses.

WilcoxHound

Aug 26, 2011
Well the Ravens did impress me Friday night even though it was a penalty filled affair. Wouldn't be surprised to see them in Saskatchewan this March.

Hope the VReds improve on the PP as the season progresses.

that's Carleton's style, they have an excellent penalty kill and a deadly pp. They will pound the crap out of you, take advantage on the pp and kill your confidence on the pk. No one gets near their goalies without a facewash or a slash.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
They knew it was going to be 3-in-3 before they left (just like Nationals for the Thursday team).

I think they'd want to play after going that far and AF is the weakest of the three teams.

However, the US Air Force does have a few planes - the make-up game might be a free ride on a Hercules back to Colorado Springs at Christmas :)

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
They knew it was going to be 3-in-3 before they left (just like Nationals for the Thursday team).

I think they'd want to play after going that far and AF is the weakest of the three teams.

However, the US Air Force does have a few planes - the make-up game might be a free ride on a Hercules back to Colorado Springs at Christmas :)

:laugh: Never thought of that option.

Drummer

Better Red than Dead
Mar 20, 2009
Freddy Beach, NB
www.vredshockey.com
UNB vs CC (Loss - 0-5)

I watched the game last night - not a bad video feed, but for $7 I would have liked a slightly higher res. The replays were nice.

The first two period were pretty even. CC's first goal was goofy though - just some bad luck (hard pass from inside their zone is deflected at UNB's blue line and bounces over Lavigne's shoulder. Not a lot of 'great' chances for UNB. CC was always standing in the right spot and as expect (from most NCAA teams) they're very quick so there isn't a lot of time & space. UNB did get 30 shots, but a lot were from the perimeter.

I think Critchlow's shot from the crease on the PP at the end of the 2nd was their best chance. Thomas's drive to the net also made it in, but coasted by the far post.

The third was unexpected - UNB was being beaten to the puck a little more often, but if you take the 3 PPs goals away - it's a 2-0 game. So, the score isn't indicative of the game, but you can't win if you don't score (0-5 on the PP while CC was 3-7)

Everyone played from what I could see including MacNeil. Lavigne played the whole game while CC had a new goalie for each period.

UNB did win the shootout 2-0, with goals from Braes (left-right-top shelf) and MacDougall (came in from the right as a left shot and dropped his right shoulder and quick snapshot to the inside left post). Alexander Krushelnyski was CC's first shooter - he is the son of NHL'er Mike Krushelnyski and had a natural hat-trick in the game.

Last year they were bombed by BC 6-0 and rebounded against a weak Maine team, but Denver is #17 this year.

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Yeah, I enjoyed the replays as well. Thought it was a fair price for the game.
Unfortunately I won't be able to watch tonight's contest with Denver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad