Recalled/Assigned: Tyler Toffoli Recalled

Ron*

I wouldn't get too excited to see him play...a lot of you think he is just going to be inserted into the lineup.

I think this is a more of a psychological ploy by Sutter to get some guys thinking. By bringing this kid up, he is using negative reinforcement to get some guys' games jump-started.

Anyway, that's my take. We'll see.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
I wouldn't get too excited to see him play...a lot of you think he is just going to be inserted into the lineup.

I think this is a more of a psychological ploy by Sutter to get some guys thinking. By bringing this kid up, he is using negative reinforcement to get some guys' games jump-started.

Anyway, that's my take. We'll see.

Toffoli isn't the type of player you do stuff like that with, he either plays or gets sent back

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
TT's "skating issues" were over exaggerated even at the draft. He skated fine, not fast but fine. His skating has improved enough to where you would really have to know what you are looking for to know where his skating needs work.

By the way, most prospects start out with skating issues, its just the way it is.

TT has been a stud prospect since before the draft, I spent the majority of last season in my old stomping grounds watching him play and practice (even a few team meals) and he is a solid kid who works his butt off and is almost a singular focus kind of guy (NHL NHL NHL NHL).

He is also very highly thought of by our org, so much so that they have spent allot of time doing off ice advising (coaching) as to how to work his game while watching the game. This is common practice around the league but only with truly highly regarded prospects.

Stamkos had this type of coaching when he was in his first year of playing in the NHL and he credits his career as a result of it. Now I am not comparing Stamkos and TT in their abilities or anything like that, only in that to our org TT is that highly regarded.

We did the same thing with Doughty and a little with VV as well as with Schenn as an additional example.

Now none of this means that TT is ready for more than a cup of tea with the team or that he is getting more than a reward for his hard work on the farm but I do think that it is worth noting.

I am happy that another one of my favorite kids are going to get some NHL time and with TT he is ahead of the curve so that is great too.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
TT's "skating issues" were over exaggerated even at the draft. He skated fine, not fast but fine. His skating has improved enough to where you would really have to know what you are looking for to know where his skating needs work.

By the way, most prospects start out with skating issues, its just the way it is.

TT has been a stud prospect since before the draft, I spent the majority of last season in my old stomping grounds watching him play and practice (even a few team meals) and he is a solid kid who works his butt off and is almost a singular focus kind of guy (NHL NHL NHL NHL).

He is also very highly thought of by our org, so much so that they have spent allot of time doing off ice advising (coaching) as to how to work his game while watching the game. This is common practice around the league but only with truly highly regarded prospects.

Stamkos had this type of coaching when he was in his first year of playing in the NHL and he credits his career as a result of it. Now I am not comparing Stamkos and TT in their abilities or anything like that, only in that to our org TT is that highly regarded.

We did the same thing with Doughty and a little with VV as well as with Schenn as an additional example.

Now none of this means that TT is ready for more than a cup of tea with the team or that he is getting more than a reward for his hard work on the farm but I do think that it is worth noting.

I am happy that another one of my favorite kids are going to get some NHL time and with TT he is ahead of the curve so that is great too.

I'm also stoked because I think he's also the type to play better with even better players. Be nice to see him get a game or two and take that experience back down to the A!

Ron*

maybe if toffoli does well, williams gets packaged for defenseman.

Was just watching a replay of the St. Louis game. Williams' tenacity and seeming-sixth sense of where everyone is directly led to two goals in that game and is an asset that cannot be replaced.

He is definitely the glue on that first line. Sometimes, we should just look past the stat line and watch exactly what these players do and mean to the team as a whole. This guy is pure money. Don't mess with a Stanley Cup championship team makeup.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I'm also stoked because I think he's also the type to play better with even better players. Be nice to see him get a game or two and take that experience back down to the A!

Yes!

That's only going to help him develop. Another great thing to consider.
:nod:

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Was just watching a replay of the St. Louis game. Williams' tenacity and seeming-sixth sense of where everyone is directly led to two goals in that game and is an asset that cannot be replaced.

He is definitely the glue on that first line. Sometimes, we should just look past the stat line and watch exactly what these players do and mean to the team as a whole. This guy is pure money. Don't mess with a Stanley Cup championship team makeup.

Agreed.

Again.

Though its fun sometimes to think about deals I can't see us making any real changes to our top lines without true reason. TT will have to wait his turn and then we are going to have to find a spot for him. 3rd line duty doesn't suit his style of play but then it will depend on his center.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA

Might have to go try to find the chart I saw on SB nation a few days ago that broke the Kings forwards down by the impact they were having on shots. Williams was at the top.

KingKopitar11*

I wonder when toffoli will be slotted in. Let's get rid of Richardson already, it's not funny anymore.

gonnaneedsomewine

Jun 19, 2010
Tavares wasn't a great skater either when he was drafted but has improved. I'd say he's worked out pretty well for the NYI. Dany Heatley has never been a great skater but is a sniper who's played with some great centers and as a result was a perennial 40 goal scorer.

I've never seen Toffoli play so I'll be looking forward to seeing him. Based on his alleged skill set, playing with a guy like Kopitar would be a great match.

DaAnimal

May 8, 2009
Pasadena
Aqkdyx0CMAAFLQ0.jpg:large

Tyler and his girl says Hi!

AiuWOd9CMAEtz3V.jpg:large

Tyler's new set of wheels :)

Go TT!! Make us all proud! Score ZE GOALS

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009

I have watched Toffoli play quite a bit. It seems to me that you have followed his development from an earlier age, so a couple questions. It seems to me, at least in the AHL, that Toffoli seems to disappear for long stretches of games. I am not sure if that is because of his style of play, meaning looking for holes in those scoring areas on the ice, or if it is because of a more, dare I say it, lazy style of play? How would you describe his game? Second, why was he passed over for the World Junior Team after two consecutive monster years in Junior Hockey. Is their something else to this? Anyway, just general observations, looking for your opinion on this.

Whiskeypete

Jul 14, 2010
Chicago

Yes!

That's only going to help him develop. Another great thing to consider.
:nod:

this is something the team sorely lacked during the TMu days. the chance for the 'kids' to come up and get some games, before going back. to get a taste and see exactly what they need to work on in the A. the problem as we all know is TMu wouldn't let the kids play.

Sutter doesn't seem to have issue with putting them out there. he isn't 100% open all the time, otherwise we would have seen Bodnarchuk and Campbell out there this season.

it's obvious though the club is moving towards bringing the kids up to 'maybe' play, but at least get with the team and practice. to be exposed to the top level and learn what it will take to make the final cut

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I have watched Toffoli play quite a bit. It seems to me that you have followed his development from an earlier age, so a couple questions. It seems to me, at least in the AHL, that Toffoli seems to disappear for long stretches of games. I am not sure if that is because of his style of play, meaning looking for holes in those scoring areas on the ice, or if it is because of a more, dare I say it, lazy style of play? How would you describe his game? Second, why was he passed over for the World Junior Team after two consecutive monster years in Junior Hockey. Is their something else to this? Anyway, just general observations, looking for your opinion on this.

There has been allot of speculation as to why TT was left of of team CA (you've probably heard most of them) but as far as the Kings, the 67's and myself personally believe (and TT as well if you ask him) it was all politics.

So, what does that mean in this case? It is said that TT was overlooked originally as a spat between two coaches that was very bitter and that was caused by an on the ice incident involving TT and a coaches son all the way back in Bantam. I don't have and way of verifying anything either way outside of asking people who either have an interest in TT's success or failure. It seems far fetched to me.

Back when this was being discussed there seemed to be allot of talk around the 67's about TT being overlooked due to a single scouting report by a biased individual that said that TT was too streaky and a poor skater. This seems more likely then any spat between coaches.

Other than that I honestly don't know why TT was left off of the roster. I do know that most everyone around knows that it was a mistake and the results show that things could have been different if TT had been on the team.

On the vanishing TT question I see it this way.

Some players see the game slightly differently then the rest. Sometimes this is a good thing and some times it isn't. When it works you see a player who always seems to find themselves in the best possible position to make the best play for their respective positions.

A goalie who seems to be in the perfect place every time but doesn't have a specific style. A Dman who has a prolific sense of when to step up etc etc.

TT is one of those guys who just looks to be in the perfect position to be where the puck is looking to end up so he can get a great shot off. So far it is working really well for him but, the reason that you and everyone else who watches him sees him as disappearing during stretches of a game (or games) is that he tends to only look for those types of opportunities instead of just continuing to work hard the rest of the time like most every other player.

It is a style of play that is unusual and so it appears that he isn't doing anything when he is actually looking for what he sees as doing the right thing. Will that translate to NHL success? There is the question. So far he has had coaches who see what he is doing and have adapted their expectations (and in Ottawa even their own coaching style at times) to accommodate TT's style of play because he is so successful.

DS isn't going to do that and so Morris and co have worked hard at developing the rest of TT's game to try and find balance between his own style and what is going to be expected of him on the Kings (and in the NHL).

They haven't had to work too hard and TT is having some huge success in the AHL but due to his style of play it can look like he is floating. That is just the way the kid plays. I think he will do really well in the NHL eventually but will be a bit of a streaky scorer. A good one but streaky.

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
Aqkdyx0CMAAFLQ0.jpg:large

Tyler and his girl says Hi!

AiuWOd9CMAEtz3V.jpg:large

Tyler's new set of wheels :)

Go TT!! Make us all proud! Score ZE GOALS

Hahaha that first picture is at JunXion. A good buddy of mine owns the club and that's where I've met Tyler a few times. Great spot if any of you guys are ever in Ottawa and want to go clubbing (it probably doesn't compare AT ALL to the club scene in LA hahaha)

AKAY47

Bring back Dean Lombardi!!!
Feb 27, 2009
Ottawa
Looks like it's going to be a wait and see type of deal. The schedule for the Kings is hectic the next few weeks and month, so it makes sense to bring him and practice with the big boys in case someone gets hurt or is tired, etc..

What doesn't make sense is why they didn't bring him up after the Manchester game if all he was going to do was sit and be a healthy scratch? Weird. I definitely thought something was up.

Captain Mittens*

Looks like it's going to be a wait and see type of deal. The schedule for the Kings is hectic the next few weeks and month, so it makes sense to bring him and practice with the big boys in case someone gets hurt or is tired, etc..

What doesn't make sense is why they didn't bring him up after the Manchester game if all he was going to do was sit and be a healthy scratch? Weird. I definitely thought something was up.

I think they are hoping he sees how the pros do things and get used to the speed of the game and playing with the Kings forwards in practice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad