Recalled/Assigned: Tyler Toffoli Recalled

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
The time to bring guys up to see what they have to offer is over ? When did that happen then ?

I understand some players play a different style but its not that players like King, Nolan, Cliché, Segal, Clune etc. ever played a big role in the AHL before they were brought up. Some turned out to be okay, and that was a major surprise lets be honest, and some didnt. All this because they got a chance. Watching Toffoli in the press box seems so useless to me. If you want an extra offensive forward, just in case, Kozun was actually a great option in these circumstances. Playing in the AHL for three years already, three straight 20 goals seasons but with doubts about his size and skill level etc. If you have to earn your way onto this team, than I would call 11 goals in your last 12 games, a good start...

I completely agree that sitting in the box is useless. I don't think they should have brought up anyone, personally, they should have let Toffoli continue to get top minutes in the A. There has to be a reason for this, it's a very out of character move.

What I was trying to say with seeing what guys have to offer, is that barring injury/trade it's not going to happen during the regular season. Prospects are going to have to earn their way on through training camp - especially the scorers. There isn't room in the top-6 right now at all.

There will likely be a spot next year, and I think we have enough size up front to where a bigger forward could be replaced by a smaller one. I wonder if both Kozun and Toffoli are going to get some practice time with the team as an audition of sorts? DL could always go grab a winger, but we know how he likes to keep his options open.

Model62

Jul 14, 2012
Maybe they brought him up as an "atta boy" -- get a week's worth of NHL pay and a week's worth of getting used to the routine.

Or maybe when they made the call up they were unsure about Richards.

Or maybe with the compressed calendar, Richards' potential injury, and a tired forward or two, they think they can get him a game or two.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
I get what you are saying but they won the cup, and we look like a strong contender for the future, and because of that I am not depressed about hickey, Boyle, moulson, Purcell, holloway, etc...

It Kozun can't handle toffoli getting called up then f him. He is just going to have to work harder and he will get his shot with the kings or some other team

And let's remember that Holloway has yet to have ANY sort of NHL participation. At this point his success or anticipated success is all projection, wishing, and pie-in-the-sky sort of stuff from fans. Until he actually sets foot on the ice in North America and kills it, it's really not something to even think about.

That's just my personal view of it though. I do wish him the best if he comes back. Until he does though, it's really of no consequence from an organizational standpoint.

jfont

Feb 27, 2002
Los Angeles
I think winning takes precedence over letting anyone play. The ultimate goal is to win the cup, not to be fair to prospects. It's not just about talent, it's about slots and putting the right player in the correct role.

The time to bring guys up to see what they have to offer is over, you have to earn your way onto this team.

I agree to an extent but if you're just called up just to sit in the press box, then I agree with Frolov that Kozun should have been the one called up for a cup of coffee.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
And let's remember that Holloway has yet to have ANY sort of NHL participation. At this point his success or anticipated success is all projection, wishing, and pie-in-the-sky sort of stuff from fans. Until he actually sets foot on the ice in North America and kills it, it's really not something to even think about.

That's just my personal view of it though. I do wish him the best if he comes back. Until he does though, it's really of no consequence from an organizational standpoint.
Yes lets ignore that. I doubt anyone will lose any sleep if the Kings trade Linden Vey for a 5th tomorrow. After all, he hasnt even hit NHL surface yet.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
It's often been said that the Kings make their decisions based on who the coaches in Manchester feel is ready, and of course performance. For what Toffoli has done this season, he deserved the call up.

I think they want to get him acclimated to training and practicing with the pros, and they can insert him in a top six role should someone (Penner in particular) struggle.

They already have guys who can fill a bottom six role, and Sutter has said that he wants more offense from his wingers. The only winger to consistently produce this season has been Jeff Carter.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Sutter has already answered why he was called up.
It's a if we need him. There are so many games so close together with the roster spot open they wanted someone here if needed.
And we can all hope nobody gets hurt but odds are we loose someone in this stretch.
http://lakingsinsider.com/2013/03/11/march-11-morning-skate-quotes-darryl-sutter/

On Tyler Toffoli’s recall:
“We play a lot of games in a short period of time.”

On Toffoli:
“We had a spot on our roster. It’s very clear. We play a lot of games in a short period of time and we go east coast-west coast, so it’s a good chance. It’s no different than when we had [Andrew] Campbell here before. We had room on our roster for another forward this time. Last time we needed a roster spot for a defenseman.”

northernKing

Jul 15, 2004
Basically I like the move because since trading Gagne there really isn't anyone on the roster to push Penner and keep him motivated/scared to lose his spot. Calling up the top prospect should not only keep Penner playing hard but also gives the team depth in case of injury and the management an opportunity to see how he does and reward the player for a solid year thus far

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
Sutter has already answered why he was called up.
It's a if we need him. There are so many games so close together with the roster spot open they wanted someone here if needed.
And we can all hope nobody gets hurt but odds are we loose someone in this stretch.
http://lakingsinsider.com/2013/03/11/march-11-morning-skate-quotes-darryl-sutter/

On Tyler Toffoli’s recall:
“We play a lot of games in a short period of time.â€

On Toffoli:
“We had a spot on our roster. It’s very clear. We play a lot of games in a short period of time and we go east coast-west coast, so it’s a good chance. It’s no different than when we had [Andrew] Campbell here before. We had room on our roster for another forward this time. Last time we needed a roster spot for a defenseman.â€

Personally, I think it's because DL wants to know if we need to add another scorer to our bottom 6 by the trade deadline or if he can rely on our farm to provide some scoring for the playoff run. If you think about it, we would have a hard time matching up against a team like the dux who have better balanced scoring than we do.

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
I get what you are saying but they won the cup, and we look like a strong contender for the future, and because of that I am not depressed about hickey, Boyle, moulson, Purcell, holloway, etc...

It Kozun can't handle toffoli getting called up then f him. He is just going to have to work harder and he will get his shot with the kings or some other team

I do tend to agree with this to a certain degree, since in the end it is the organization who decides who plays and who doesn't... But from another perspective, in this case Kozun and Holloway, one has to wonder how it feels to play your heart out for the minor league affiliate, continue to produce very solid numbers, and continue to get passed over by players who they probably consider to be inferior. Must be frustrating. In Holloway's case, it was the organizations infatuation with Loktionov that probably drove him out of town. In this case, it seems to be an infatuation with players like Toffoli and Vey who drives Kozun out of town.

Makes you wonder if the Kings would be better off giving these skill type guys a shot, to see indeed what we have in the minors, instead of letting them walk and find new teams where they might have great success. You can't on one hand preach discipline and paying your dues to the organization, and then on the other, once players perform, call up guys who put in less time, even if they are considered to be a higher ranked "prospect." Something to think about anyways..

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Exactly HCA,

Personally I'm also a fan of the big skilled players, so just quit with drafting these midgets because they wont get a chance with this team. Look at the past years and our current roster.

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
I do tend to agree with this to a certain degree, since in the end it is the organization who decides who plays and who doesn't... But from another perspective, in this case Kozun and Holloway, one has to wonder how it feels to play your heart out for the minor league affiliate, continue to produce very solid numbers, and continue to get passed over by players who they probably consider to be inferior. Must be frustrating. In Holloway's case, it was the organizations infatuation with Loktionov that probably drove him out of town. In this case, it seems to be an infatuation with players like Toffoli and Vey who drives Kozun out of town.

Makes you wonder if the Kings would be better off giving these skill type guys a shot, to see indeed what we have in the minors, instead of letting them walk and find new teams where they might have great success. You can't on one hand preach discipline and paying your dues to the organization, and then on the other, once players perform, call up guys who put in less time, even if they are considered to be a higher ranked "prospect." Something to think about anyways..

The problem is each year there is a draft so each year new players come into the system. The team will at that time look at who is the best to call up. They do not or should not care if others are in the system for years if they have been in the system that long then they can move on as other will be there waiting for the next call up.

In the case of Kozun there are others that are moving past him and they have less years in the AHL so it shows that they have more skills and will be called up before him. It does not matter on size it matters on the skills they have today and the skills they will have tomorrow.

Everyone can check and see today that Toffoli has more goals more points a better Plus and Minus than Kozun in Toffoli's rookie year so why would LA call up someone with less numbers than him Just because he has been there for three years?

Kozun will go to LA training camp next year if he does not get a shot then he should ask for a trade and move on.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
The problem is each year there is a draft so each year new players come into the system. The team will at that time look at who is the best to call up. They do not or should not care if others are in the system for years if they have been in the system that long then they can move on as other will be there waiting for the next call up.

In the case of Kozun there are others that are moving past him and they have less years in the AHL so it shows that they have more skills and will be called up before him. It does not matter on size it matters on the skills they have today and the skills they will have tomorrow.

Everyone can check and see today that Toffoli has more goals more points a better Plus and Minus than Kozun in Toffoli's rookie year so why would LA call up someone with less numbers than him Just because he has been there for three years?

Kozun will go to LA training camp next year if he does not get a shot then he should ask for a trade and move on.
I think you completely miss the point + add a lot of bull.

There's more than just looking @ hockeydatabase.com and confirm that TT is the Kings best prospect. We know that yes.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether

This is where I completely disagree with you.

Kozun hasn't been passed by anyone of our prospects in any of the areas that he was drafted in with the exception of him being a couple of inches shorter.

His scoring is right there with our best prospects including our top two elite (I see Vey as also being a top end scoring prospect) and he is a banger/agitator that is right there with anyone else.

Kozun hits, plays with an edge and can score goals. Those are the reasons that he was drafted and he has steadily improved since his draft. The question with Kozun was would he be able to mature and learn how to play with an edge without taking so many penalties which he has.

He is durable and built like a tank. He is 23yo, 5'9" and weighs 186lbs according to Morris. He is smaller than our team avg for certain but he isn't as small many other NHL players.

Is he a special player? In some ways but not so much so that he can't be replaced but we drafted him, invested in his development and have a finished kid who is NHL ready.

I agree with the idea that if we aren't going to even give the kids who we draft and then develop a look at the NHL level when they have earned it then why not just go after long shot high risk high reward skill guys from now on?

I am a huge fan of Futa both as a person and as a scout and Kozun is just further proof to me that he is excellent at what he does (so is his staff).

Giving TT a call up is great rather he plays or not the experience gained by being with an NHL team is solid and also gives a player a ton of confidence that they are moving in the right direction and to keep working hard and they will be back.

Nothing but good can come from giving Kozun a call up or two either. It sends a message throughout the system that says work hard and you will get your shot. It also increases Kozun's value for trade purposes.

Not every prospect should be brought up but the ones that prove themselves on the farm should at least get a look once before we let them walk. Kozun was drafted to fill a certain job and he has proven that he is ready to try doing that job at the NHL level. Can he make it in the NHL? We won't know the answer to that question until he is given the chance to do so.

Kozun fleshes out to a 3rd line winger who plays with an edge and has soft hands around the net. If he were 2 inches taller he would be in the NHL or at least would have seen a call up or two by now.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
Darryl Sutter:

Quite honest, I’m not going to answer any more questions about Tyler Toffoli, because he’s the 14th forward on our team.

santiclaws

May 19, 2005
And as far as talk of him playing goes I'm assuming that's that.

I think it just means Sutter won't go out of his way to play him. If someone is hurt/suspended/just dragging, he may. Richardson won't necessarily go in ahead of him, depends on what role would need to be filled.

mbar

Dec 7, 2006
Los Angeles
How can you not love Sutter?

Sutter, on the “fascination” Kings fans have with Tyler Toffoli:
“He’s a 20 year old. What do you mean, ‘the fascination’?”

Sutter, on Toffoli’s 28 AHL goals and his current status:
“The American League is the second-best league in the world. This is his first year out of major junior hockey. He was having a good year. We have a roster spot while we’re playing 10 games in 14 days, or whatever, and if we need a player, it’s too difficult to get a player from [Manchester]. It would be totally useless for our organization to fly a guy from Manchester to San Jose today to play tomorrow. It’s hurting the player. So I’d rather have the player available here. I don’t know if he’s going to play one minute, or if he’s going to have two practices. I couldn’t tell you that. He didn’t take somebody’s spot. He’ll have to earn it at some time. So the ‘fascination’ – there is no fascination. He’s 20 years old. He’s got lots to learn. I remember being in his shoes, too.”

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Love Sutter.

Doesn't give anyone anything, that is not earned.

If you earned a benching you will get it, if you earned ice time, you will get it.

I hated that Terry Murray had some whacked out, accountability system.

Sutter is cut and dry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad