Recalled/Assigned: Tyler Toffoli Recalled

Captain Mittens*

I hope he plays tonight and scores 8 goals and his nickname going forward is "ocho"

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Interesting reading Sutter's remarks on Toffoli. I had no idea he was a solid PKer and dangerous shorthanded! Sounds like he'll get some special teams practice tonight!

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Feb 3, 2007
I would think they're not going to burn a year of his contract, so I'd guess 9GP or less. But maybe that philosophy is outdated with the new CBA and the shortened season.

NomadFan

Mar 24, 2007
I would think they're not going to burn a year of his contract, so I'd guess 9GP or less. But maybe that philosophy is outdated with the new CBA and the shortened season.

Doesn't that only apply to playing in Junior? He's already played a significant stretch in the AHL.

*edit*

I supposed correctly...

Last edited:

Primakov!

Dec 9, 2003
Yesteryear

It's not outdated, but you're applying it incorrectly.

That only applies to kids who have signed contracts, but are age 18 or 19. A team is able to waive the start of a prospect's three-year contract until the age of 20 or until 10+ games have been played in a particular season.

As an example, Toffoli signed his entry-level contract on 4/18/11, but the first year of his contract didn't kick in until this year since the Kings have been waving it. If he had played after signing then that would have burned that year off his contract and become the first year of his deal.

Ron*

5bb0d37b9b43773a4639fa6e4bef0bd2_normal.jpeg

Jon Rosen ‏@lakingsinsider
Jake Muzzin, on whether he or fellow hotel resident Tyler Toffoli cooks: "Subway does the cooking."

Captain Mittens*

LOL- From the same link

Sutter on whether Doughty's scoring drought is weighing on him: "I don’t think it is. I don’t lay him down on the table and ask him that."

rick3652

Aug 18, 2009
Toronto
How about this.

https://twitter.com/curtiszupke/status/314089674287239168

Didn't get it into the notes, but Sutter said they didn't bring Toffoli up to play him but he wanted to get Richards and Carter going.

As some suspected this was a fill the roster call up as a reward. And he managed to get into the lineup even without an injury.

This is from Sutter quote people should read quotes not someone writing on Twitter.

Probably one example is putting Toffoli in. We didn’t bring him here…not to play him, but I just felt, ‘you know what? Richards and Carter both have been struggling. Let’s take a look at Toffoli. Jordy needs a kick in the ass.’ Just things like that. Anything that can just keep it a little off helps.â€

the key word in here is 'WE didn't bring him here NOT TO PLAY HIM"

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
This is from Sutter quote people should read quotes not someone writing on Twitter.

Probably one example is putting Toffoli in. We didn’t bring him here…not to play him, but I just felt, ‘you know what? Richards and Carter both have been struggling. Let’s take a look at Toffoli. Jordy needs a kick in the ass.’ Just things like that. Anything that can just keep it a little off helps.”

the key word in here is 'WE didn't bring him here NOT TO PLAY HIM"

You have a link to where Sutter said that? I found it and reading the quote it looks like the insider might have gotten it wrong. But we have two reporters with conflicting info about the same quote.
And taking a tweet from a reporter is not like grabbing something from a layman. They might have misunderstood or mistyped. But he hasn't corrected it.

Since here is another and it's a direct quote from him.
The part that is bold is what is important.
And that sure doesn't sound like they brought him up to have him play.
And the quote you listed could also just as easily be a misquote. It does happen.

http://lakingsinsider.com/2013/03/13/practice-quotes-darryl-sutter-on-tyler-toffoli/

Sutter, on Toffoli’s 28 AHL goals and his current status:
“The American League is the second-best league in the world. This is his first year out of major junior hockey. He was having a good year. We have a roster spot while we’re playing 10 games in 14 days, or whatever, and if we need a player, it’s too difficult to get a player from [Manchester]. It would be totally useless for our organization to fly a guy from Manchester to San Jose today to play tomorrow. It’s hurting the player. So I’d rather have the player available here. I don’t know if he’s going to play one minute, or if he’s going to have two practices. I couldn’t tell you that. He didn’t take somebody’s spot. He’ll have to earn it at some time. So the ‘fascination’ – there is no fascination. He’s 20 years old. He’s got lots to learn. I remember being in his shoes, too.”

Last edited:

hong57

Nov 9, 2008
Hong Kong
Points wise Toffoli seems to get it.. but how is his play? Any pp / pk time?
Will he be a regular going forward for the last 10ish games?
Thanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad