Recalled/Assigned: Tyler Toffoli Recalled

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
I think they are hoping he sees how the pros do things and get used to the speed of the game and playing with the Kings forwards in practice.

It's definitely possible. I think he WILL see game time though for sure. Practice is practice, and a game is a game. He might not play tonight, but he will play one of the next couple games. They have to give him a taste of the real deal.

Captain Mittens*

It's definitely possible. I think he WILL see game time though for sure. Practice is practice, and a game is a game. He might not play tonight, but he will play one of the next couple games. They have to give him a taste of the real deal.

Good call. Hopefully he is just scratched tonight so he can adjust to daylight savings time.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
Still think he'll be a regular in the lineup. Sutter probably just wants him to get a few practices under his belt first, kind of like Martinez did after he was activated off IR.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
For this purpose, I would have called up Kozun.

Sometimes I dont understand these decisions. I never had this when Dave Taylor was still the GM. It wasnt much back then but he also didnt have the pieces like DL. Besides he was the one who had the guts to draft Kopitar.

KingsCorona

Dec 18, 2009
For this purpose, I would have called up Kozun.

Sometimes I dont understand these decisions.

Is there any particular reason why you think Kozun is a better candidate? I personally think DL and Sutter have earned some trust in these things. The both of them have talked to Kozun and Toffoli and watched them more closely than any of us have, and clearly Sutter has a way with the players. If they think Toffoli is a better choice then I'm fine with that; besides, it isn't like Toffoli isn't an elite prospect.

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
Is there any particular reason why you think Kozun is a better candidate? I personally think DL and Sutter have earned some trust in these things. The both of them have talked to Kozun and Toffoli and watched them more closely than any of us have, and clearly Sutter has a way with the players. If they think Toffoli is a better choice then I'm fine with that; besides, it isn't like Toffoli isn't an elite prospect.

I agree with 6'3". Kozun is more ready for the NHL and has earned his right to get a call up by developing into the kind of prospect that the Kings drafted him to be. He is ready to take the next step in his career and has put in his time.

I would only give TT a cup o tea with the team after Kozun got his. TT needs the rest of this season down on the farm but I agree that giving him a few games with the team is a good call too. I would just say that Kozun is NHL ready (as he is going to be) and has earned his call up. Should get it first.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
What Tonelli said. Of course Toffoli is the better prospect, that's not the point.

Kozun has taken the next step and it would have been great if he was getting rewarded for that. Just a look. TT's time will come. We dont really need him here right now. Things are going well, there was one open spot left. Kozun is scoring a lot lately and now I seriously doubt if he will ever get a call up. Next one in line might be Vey and perhaps Pearson is next within two years.

Its good management to keep your best prospects happy, as long as possible. You must keep them hungry.

Remember Holloway.

Last edited:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Toffoli is from Scarborough, just like Simmonds and the Stewart brothers. I used to work with someone whose last name was Toffoli, now I'm wondering if they were related since we're all from the same city. Must investigate...

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
I agree with 6'3". Kozun is more ready for the NHL and has earned his right to get a call up by developing into the kind of prospect that the Kings drafted him to be. He is ready to take the next step in his career and has put in his time.

I would only give TT a cup o tea with the team after Kozun got his. TT needs the rest of this season down on the farm but I agree that giving him a few games with the team is a good call too. I would just say that Kozun is NHL ready (as he is going to be) and has earned his call up. Should get it first.

Agree with those two. Held off posting it cause people would just think it's CNS *****ing about one of the players he doesn't like. Facts are Kozun has put more time in the organization, is farther along, and has earned a shot. Toffoli will get his...but not yet. Kozun should see NHL games next year at the very latest or he's going to go Bud Holloway on us.

Habstract

Feb 23, 2009
North Vancouver
Very happy for Tyler, hope he gets a "decent" shot to display his skills. By that I mean that he get some ice time on the PP and play shifts with an offensive Center.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Re: Kozun vs. Toffoli

Size is a consideration here. Our next 5 games are against two pretty big teams, San Jose is very large, and plays physical. Phoenix, while not as large, likes to try and bring the pain; they will be extra motivated to inflict punishing hits after last year. Toffoli is better suited than Kozun for these assignments. Kozun is a great scorer, but he is not a big guy at all. He is giving up 40+ pounds to the average player on San Jose.

If games like Minnesota, Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, etc. games were coming up, I could see Kozun getting a look. None of those teams are very physical. You guys know how games in the Pacific are: spirited and very physical affairs. The upcoming schedule is a major consideration when these callups are made.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
If Kozun does play for us, will he be the first ever Los Angeles born to play for the Kings?

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
If Kozun does play for us, will he be the first ever Los Angeles born to play for the Kings?

From the really, really random trivia category....

I think Noah Clarke was the first LA native to play for the Kings, although I am unsure if he was actually born here.

Captain Mittens*

From the really, really random trivia category....

I think Noah Clarke was the first LA native to play for the Kings, although I am unsure if he was actually born here.

He was born in La Verne

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
Re: Kozun vs. Toffoli

Size is a consideration here. Our next 5 games are against two pretty big teams, San Jose is very large, and plays physical. Phoenix, while not as large, likes to try and bring the pain; they will be extra motivated to inflict punishing hits after last year. Toffoli is better suited than Kozun for these assignments. Kozun is a great scorer, but he is not a big guy at all. He is giving up 40+ pounds to the average player on San Jose.

If games like Minnesota, Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, etc. games were coming up, I could see Kozun getting a look. None of those teams are very physical. You guys know how games in the Pacific are: spirited and very physical affairs. The upcoming schedule is a major consideration when these callups are made.

Kozun plays a bigger game than Toffoli. In fact, I would say Kozun initiates more contact game to game than Toffoli does. While NHL players may be a bit faster, how much bigger than AHL players can NHL Players possibly be? My two cents anyways.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Kozun plays a bigger game than Toffoli. In fact, I would say Kozun initiates more contact game to game than Toffoli does. While NHL players may be a bit faster, how much bigger than AHL players can NHL Players possibly be? My two cents anyways.

I think it's more of an issue of being able to get knocked off the puck. Small and quick works in the AHL, but in the NHL the big guys are often just as fast. There are very few guys like Gionta or St. Louis in the league.

As for size, only a few NHL teams are lighter than the Monarchs roster, and none are shorter. The Monarchs have pretty decent size at just under 6' and 199 lbs. I'm not sure how that relates to other AHL teams, but considering the Kings love their size, I would be surprised if they aren't one of the bigger squads. Maybe someone with a better knowledge of the A than I could chime in.

The Kings average over 6'1 and 209 lbs. San Jose is 6'2" and 210 lbs.

None of this is meant to rip on Kozun, of course. I'd love to see him get a chance, but at the same time I would wait for the right time to maximize his chances for success.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
That's my problem; "The organization" thinks too much. Let them play and give them a fair shake. Than we'll know.

They also thought some others werent good enough, look how that turned out.

Pucknut50

Jun 13, 2007

I agree Kozun deserved the shot more than TT. This sounds like the Holloway deal where he was getting passed over. But I guess the organ eye zation knows best so I won't argue.

JT8888

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
That's my problem; "The organization" thinks too much. Let them play and give them a fair shake. Than we'll know.

I get what you are saying but they won the cup, and we look like a strong contender for the future, and because of that I am not depressed about hickey, Boyle, moulson, Purcell, holloway, etc...

It Kozun can't handle toffoli getting called up then f him. He is just going to have to work harder and he will get his shot with the kings or some other team

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I get what you are saying but they won the cup, and we look like a strong contender for the future, and because of that I am not depressed about hickey, Boyle, moulson, Purcell, holloway, etc...

It Kozun can't handle toffoli getting called up then f him. He is just going to have to work harder and he will get his shot with the kings or some other team
I also get what you are saying but sometimes I think DL gets a little too much praise for that. Just look at our current roster, how some players got here, the pieces he had etc etc. I think some players bailed him out. The players got us the cup. I'm not saying Lombardi didnt do a thing but I'm not willing to give him too much credit. I was big fan of him in the beginning.

If the Kings didnt turn it around in the last 25 games last season, it would have been possible we would not have a Dean here anymore.

+ I can't stand his face. A I know-it-all face but that's personally. ;)

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

I think winning takes precedence over letting anyone play. The ultimate goal is to win the cup, not to be fair to prospects. It's not just about talent, it's about slots and putting the right player in the correct role.

The time to bring guys up to see what they have to offer is over, you have to earn your way onto this team.

Sydor25

LA Kings
Wonder if Sutter will rotate through the 8 forwards in the bottom 6 over the next few games. The Kings have 4 games in 6 nights this week. This could keep the energy level up on the bottom lines.

Sutter could sit King for a game and move Clifford up to the third line and put Richardson in the 4th line LW spot.

Then Sutter could sit Fraser and put Lewis as the 4th line center and put Toffoli in the 3rd line RW spot. Put King back on the third line and move Clifford back to the 4th line and sit Richardson again, unless Richardson has a strong game. Then King could sit for another game.

I don't see any reason to mess with the top six unless their is an injury. They have all been playing well recently.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I think winning takes precedence over letting anyone play. The ultimate goal is to win the cup, not to be fair to prospects. It's not just about talent, it's about slots and putting the right player in the correct role.

The time to bring guys up to see what they have to offer is over, you have to earn your way onto this team.
The time to bring guys up to see what they have to offer is over ? When did that happen then ?

I understand some players play a different style but its not that players like King, Nolan, Cliché, Segal, Clune etc. ever played a big role in the AHL before they were brought up. Some turned out to be okay, and that was a major surprise lets be honest, and some didnt. All this because they got a chance. Watching Toffoli in the press box seems so useless to me. If you want an extra offensive forward, just in case, Kozun was actually a great option in these circumstances. Playing in the AHL for three years already, three straight 20 goals seasons but with doubts about his size and skill level etc. If you have to earn your way onto this team, than I would call 11 goals in your last 12 games, a good start...

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad