Tyler Myers

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Quality of Competition taken into account at all?

O zone? D zone?

Nope. That'd be... like... work.

Yeah, it's a whole bunch of work:

myers_sabres_deployment.png

Nice d-zone heavy deployment of Myers and Gorges, against the highest TOI opponents that the Sabres faced. Wow: that was a lot of work to gain a little bit of insight into why his stats in certain areas plummeted. I need to go get a beer now.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
Yeah, it's a whole bunch of work:

*evidence*

Nice d-zone heavy deployment of Myers and Gorges, against the highest TOI opponents that the Sabres faced. Wow: that was a lot of work to gain a little bit of insight into why his stats in certain areas plummeted. I need to go get a beer now.

Yeah don't tire yourself out man. This isn't your job.

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
Are teams calling the Jets inquiring about Myers? If so I wonder what Chevy says.

I've really liked his game so far.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Hey, guys, Myers also has a Corsi of ~-29.5. Compare that to a much cheaper alternative in Rundblad who has a Corsi of ~18... We made a huge mistake!

Lazy stupid article is lazy and stupid. Sometimes I really understand why some people say that Corsi people don't watch the games and only look at numbers without context.

It's because of Travis Yost.

I maintain that it's impossible to say how good Myers is at the possession game because of his usage and team.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
Hey, guys, Myers also has a Corsi of ~-29.5. Compare that to a much cheaper alternative in Rundblad who has a Corsi of ~18... We made a huge mistake!

Lazy stupid article is lazy and stupid. Sometimes I really understand why some people say that Corsi people don't watch the games and only look at numbers without context.

It's because of Travis Yost.

I maintain that it's impossible to say how good Myers is at the possession game because of his usage and team.

Travis Yost:

Travis Yost joined TSN in 2014 as a hockey analytics writer contributing columns to TSN.ca and providing in-depth analysis on TSN Radio. Yost is a key part of the TSN Hockey Analytics team, the network’s go-to resource for compelling stat-based hockey analysis.

Using advanced stats such as Corsi, Fenwick, zone starts, and many more, Yost crunches the latest numbers from the NHL’s on-ice action to provide a unique perspective on the game.

Before joining the TSN Hockey Analytics team, Yost was a regular contributor to the Ottawa Citizen, The Sporting News, NHLNumbers.com and HockeyBuzz.com, earning him a reputation as one of game’s leading minds in advanced stats.

That's embarassing. Unless TSN is telling him to dumb his stuff down to get a wider reach, whatever he is making is too much.

Back on topic: Myers is tall hey guys?

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
In Yost's defense, usage adjusted or dCorsi numbers still don't make Myers beautiful.

The point of his article still holds: there's a lot of unknowns with Myers and how much value in the trade the Jets gain will depend on how Myers adjusts to the Jets.

StronGeer

Jan 25, 2013
Down by the bay
In Yost's defense, usage adjusted or dCorsi numbers still don't make Myers beautiful.

The point of his article still holds: there's a lot of unknowns with Myers and how much value in the trade the Jets gain will depend on how Myers adjusts to the Jets.

The conclusion may be the same, but how you arrive there matters for how much weight the argument has.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Are those relative to the Sabres, or overall? I think it's really important that whenever these sorts of "advanced stats" are cited, there should be clarity about what adjustments have been made (or not made).

I agree that there are still a lot of unknowns about Myers. What I like is his penchant for taking possession and doing something positive with the puck. What I am less certain about is his defensive awareness and positioning, protecting zone entry, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00