Tyler Myers

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I feel like Myers merits his own thread.
I wouldn't be surprised if he slots in next to enstrom now but how do you guys think he will fit with our team going forward?

Former Calder trophy winner, possible downward trend?

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
I feel like Myers merits his own thread.
I wouldn't be surprised if he slots in next to enstrom now but how do you guys think he will fit with our team going forward?

Former Calder trophy winner, possible downward trend?

possible results of playing with a rookie on the top pair with the worst team inthe league as well.

if he retains his calder form watch out

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
His downward trend corresponds pretty closely to Buffalo's downward trend. Going to keep my opinion of him close to my chest until he's had some time to fit in with the stronger D-corp here, and within Maurice's system.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
His downward trend corresponds pretty closely to Buffalo's downward trend. Going to keep my opinion of him close to my chest until he's had some time to fit in with the stronger D-corp here, and within Maurice's system.

This is my opinion as well. I think people are underestimating how bad his line mates and overall team were. He has an opportunity to play with one of the top D corps in the league now. I expect big things from him (no pun intended).

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I agree completely. i think Bogo is going to be over his head in Buffalo, while Myers will thrive here and really start to put up the big numbers again. I think Maurice helps him realize the physical side of his game, he'll be a monster out there.

the thing about that is, Myers has also missed a bunch of time due to injuries, so that does worry me a bit.

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
MUCH more defensive depth in Winnipeg, so Myers doesn't have to play 25-30 minutes every game against the opposition's best players, he doesn't have to be relied on to be the PK and PP leader on the point, and doesn't have to carry the physical load. Put him on the Jets blueline, in Maurice's system, with a stronger team, and he will blossom.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
MUCH more defensive depth in Winnipeg, so Myers doesn't have to play 25-30 minutes every game against the opposition's best players, he doesn't have to be relied on to be the PK and PP leader on the point, and doesn't have to carry the physical load. Put him on the Jets blueline, in Maurice's system, with a stronger team, and he will blossom.

Yup.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
You will like him. He is a good skater, can lug puck out of the zone, plays the lanes well, can pinch and get back. Could be more physical and has a so so shot.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Said it somewhere else but I think we could potentially see the best of Tyler Myers under the structure and guidance of Maurice/Huddy. He was playing in a terrible system that was a vacuum for confidence in young players and was in a position to shoulder more than was needed in early years.

The great news is the kid didn't bust and even though the Sabres have been in tank mode for a couple seasons, he has managed to be one of the few bright spots. The coaching change certainly expedited that development and allowed him to flourish further.

So give him a system that works, a simple structure, and insulated with other veteran D men and this kid is going to do big things here. I would even go on a limb and say franchise changing. I am quite excited because he is coming into a system in Winnipeg that has been based around good character and team-first mentality; not to say Buffalo didn't have any of that, but a last place team invariably lacks in pretty well every area.

This could work out to be the perfect environment for Tyler Myers and as a Jets fan I could not be happier.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Hope he gets paired to Enstrom for the time being. See what he can do with the best partner we can give him.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Myers has a NMC/limited NTC that kicks in for the 2016-17 season

This is the key right here and the rest will work itself out. This gives TNSE one more season than we had with Bogo. It allows us to get closure on the Buff issue while retaining maximum flexibility with trade partners. I still can't see us with a long term plan to have 3 super stud expensive RHD? As to Myers game if they partner him with Toby I think we will see the best he has to offer. I will remain hopeful but I am guessing Winnipeg fans will wonder why a 6'8" player isn't mean.

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
As long as no one expects him to lay out people with big hits, he will do fine. His downward regression is a myth. He's held the team together on D (as much as a team performing so poorly can be held together) this year imo.

Sadly I think once he hits game 5 we'll hear rumblings of him being 'soft'. :shakehead

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Hope he gets paired to Enstrom for the time being. See what he can do with the best partner we can give him.

Definitely.

Enstrom-Myers
Chiarot-Buff
Stuart-Trouba

Put the kid in the position that gives him the best chance for success.

R3DDRAG0N

Beaver Mafia
Aug 25, 2013
Winnipeg
Whats the structure of Meyers Contract? Anyone know the numbers and term left...good I wish capgeek was still up...

flyingpig

Pay the Troll Toll
May 26, 2006
Pay the troll toll

I disagree with his downward trend corresponding with Buffalos downward trend.

For the last year, he has been Buffalos best player, eating tons of minutes against very tough competition. His points have suffered with the downward trend (like every other roster player), but that is the only part of his game that has not improved.

He is difficult to play against because of his size and the fact that he can cover so much ground both with his stride and his wingspan. He is not a physical player in the sense of blowing up guys with checks, but he uses his body well enough.

He is at his very best when he is engaged offensively, gallops with the puck, pinches and moves out of the defensive zone in transition with his skating and passing. He is a beautiful skater. If he is restricted, and has to think too much, he plays scared.

Don't expect him to be Chara and most of you will love him. He is just a bit inconsistent, so that will drive a few people (who expect too much) crazy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->