Tyler Myers

JetsOilersfan

Feb 4, 2012
He's always been a good skater, as people say all the time, he's a much better skater than Chara, he just doesn't have Chara's nastiness. He's going to be a superstar I just know it

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Sabres fan here, guest on your board.

I partially watched the Jets against Red Wings (had to pretend to work sometimes too) and I was both happy and sad to see him jump in on offense. Happy because I always loved the kid and it's just beautiful to see, sad because he's never gonna do it again on my team. But then again, he hasn't really done that as much for us over the last couple of years. The Sabres have just been so bad that there hasn't been much of a chance for him to play that game. He's been forced to focus on D. Seeing his offensive game for you guys was like watching a captured animal being released back into its natural habitat.

Happy for him and hope it works out for both our teams.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Sabres fan here, guest on your board.

I partially watched the Jets against Red Wings (had to pretend to work sometimes too) and I was both happy and sad to see him jump in on offense. Happy because I always loved the kid and it's just beautiful to see, sad because he's never gonna do it again on my team. But then again, he hasn't really done that as much for us over the last couple of years. The Sabres have just been so bad that there hasn't been much of a chance for him to play that game. He's been forced to focus on D. Seeing his offensive game for you guys was like watching a captured animal being released back into its natural habitat.

Happy for him and hope it works out for both our teams.

Thanks for your thoughts - I enjoyed watching Myers against the Wings.

It was also nice to see Bogo contribute to the Sabres effort doing the things Bogo usually does. Loves the physical game, can skate well and has the ability to offer up some nice outlet passes, etc. Those were pretty evident in the game against the Flyers yesterday. I'll miss him - the Sabres got a good one in him. :nod:

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Thanks for your thoughts - I enjoyed watching Myers against the Wings.

It was also nice to see Bogo contribute to the Sabres effort doing the things Bogo usually does. Loves the physical game, can skate well and has the ability to offer up some nice outlet passes, etc. Those were pretty evident in the game against the Flyers yesterday. I'll miss him - the Sabres got a good one in him. :nod:

I always liked Bogo too so I was thrilled that he came back in the deal. Makes it easier to live with no Myers.

And as someone said on our board: Bogosian and Sabres are a perfect fit. He likes to hit, we never have the puck. Bomb away! ;)

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I always liked Bogo too so I was thrilled that he came back in the deal. Makes it easier to live with no Myers.

And as someone said on our board: Bogosian and Sabres are a perfect fit. He likes to hit, we never have the puck. Bomb away! ;)

:laugh:

Once you guys start to turn things around, you'll appreciate his skating and offensive skills too - he's really quite good at 5v5, even if he's not at the level of Myers on the scoring side of things. :nod:

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
:laugh:

Once you guys start to turn things around, you'll appreciate his skating and offensive skills too - he's really quite good at 5v5, even if he's not at the level of Myers on the scoring side of things. :nod:

Yeah, and we've got good offensive ability in Ristolainen and Zadorov too, which I guess made Myers expandable. Zad scored last night and Ristolainen had a monster shift at the end of the game and almost single handedly kept the Flyers pinned in their own zone. We suck, but it's nice to see glimpses of what's to come. And Bogosian sure showed alot of those glimpses.

Anyway, I hope for the best for both our organisations and I'm now on the Jets bandwagon. I'll be watching you. Take care of our boys.

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
I glad and not at all surprised Myers is doing so well for you. He got slammed on the main HF trade board for 2 seasons and we got sick of defending him and telling everyone that he's a really good player who could be great if he plays on a decent team but everybody just said, look at his point total.

Now that he's with you, I bet he goes back to 40-50 points a year while being very good in his own end. I'm sorry we lost him but we got two very good players back. I'm now a Winnipeg fan as long as we're not playing you. Good luck with rest of season and I hope you make the playoffs and kick some ass.

Nov 24, 2006
It's been a treat watching Myers, he's like an eagle the way he floats around out there, and seem to have good offensive instincts. I don't think Bogosian will ever have that game. Myers lacks Bogosian's nastiness though, which I miss already.

Playing with Enstrom means that he and Myers are a fairly "soft" duo together, we'll see how that works out long term but he'll bring more points, no doubt about it.

I think the Jets have lost a bit of their identity with this trade given the physical nature of Bogo and Kane. Myers and Stafford do not bring that back in equal measure. I trust Chevy and Maurice have done the right thing though.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I glad and not at all surprised Myers is doing so well for you. He got slammed on the main HF trade board for 2 seasons and we got sick of defending him and telling everyone that he's a really good player who could be great if he plays on a decent team but everybody just said, look at his point total.

Now that he's with you, I bet he goes back to 40-50 points a year while being very good in his own end. I'm sorry we lost him but we got two very good players back. I'm now a Winnipeg fan as long as we're not playing you. Good luck with rest of season and I hope you make the playoffs and kick some ass.

The naysayers other than Jets fans now will continue to say he is garbage.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
The naysayers other than Jets fans now will continue to say he is garbage.

One guy even said he'd rather have neither (shrugs)

Myers is way more of a skilled defenseman than Bogo. If he can be as effective but less mean I think that's a great trade off.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Would love to see him put on s few more pounds of muscle......I know he is tall and lanky so that is tough for those guys

jetkarma*

I think the Jets have lost a bit of their identity with this trade given the physical nature of Bogo and Kane. Myers and Stafford do not bring that back in equal measure. I trust Chevy and Maurice have done the right thing though.

I agree with this. Certainly part of that fast big physical game left and didn't come back , part of why I think Chevy was adamant that Lemieux was included. I would love to draft a winger that has some of Kane's attributes , the ferocious forechecking , the speed , the pressure he provided, doesn't have to be with the first pick mind you.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Just as a heads up, Myers won't give you the same nasty that Bogo did in the regular season game in and game out, but in the playoffs and important games he absolutely unloads on people.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Myers thus far has proven to be better than Bogo ever was. He has played, what, three games for the Jets? Am aware that represents a small sample size. He was chosen as the first star of the game on Saturday night though against the Wings and then was third star last night. He is so freakin' rangy back there and plays a fairly cerebral game, and especially relative to Bogosian - who is prone to often making poor decisions with the puck. Myers always seems to make the smart/safe play to get the puck out whereas with Bogo... it was usually more of a coin-flip. I say that as a fan of Bogo BTW. I knew Myers would get a boost when surrounded by talent but didn't expect him to show such an improvement this quickly.

The Jets may have lost some physicality on D, but they gained a ton of smarts.

Nov 24, 2006
http://www.tsn.ca/jets-taking-risk-by-bringing-in-myers-1.209396

By now, the seven-player trade between the Buffalo Sabres and Winnipeg Jets has been carefully dissected from most every angle. Much of the attention has been focused on the big name, Evander Kane, and whether or not Buffalo gave up too much to acquire the 23-year old forward.

What’s fascinating to me is that the most glossed over part of this deal – the de facto swapping of defensemen Zach Bogosian and Tyler Myers – has been glossed over quite a bit. From a Winnipeg standpoint, the exchange of the defensemen had an obvious financial benefit. While the cap hits are similar (Zach Bogosian’s at $5.1-million; Tyler Myers is at $5.5-million), it’s important to remember that Bogosian’s deal is back-loaded, and Myers’ deal front-loaded. Bogosian’s due $28-million more through 2019-2010; Myers is due just $15.5-million, and his contract expires one year earlier.

That’s a fair bit of savings on the books for Winnipeg, no question. But, I still think that the Jets are acquiring considerable risk in the acquisition of Myers, especially since this is a Winnipeg team that desperately needs talent on the roster now to realize that post-season berth.

One of the biggest red flags surrounding Tyler Myers is that he doesn’t really seem to be able to drive play from a territorial standpoint, which is a dangerous proposition when you’re talking about a twenty-two-minute-per-night defenseman...

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Travis Yost can shove that metrics "doesn't drive territorial play" play stuff in a sack.

Without watching every game, which he doesn't, and without taking into account variables that cannot be accounted for in metrics, it is superfluous at best.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Travis Yost can shove that metrics "doesn't drive territorial play" play stuff in a sack.

Without watching every game, which he doesn't, and without taking into account variables that cannot be accounted for in metrics, it is superfluous at best.

This season, Myers has been buried in the defensive zone in terms of usage, with almost twice as many D zone starts compared to O zone. Gorges has, too.

Of note, none of the other players who were used in the "with / without" analysis (except Gorges) have had that sort of D zone burial. So, if they are getting more O zone starts (or less D zone) apart from Myers, it's likely that their CF% stats are going to look better.

Unless the analysis takes zone usage into account, it's hard to interpret.

Still, it's something to keep an eye on.

Kamo

Jul 10, 2011
It's been a treat watching Myers, he's like an eagle the way he floats around out there, and seem to have good offensive instincts. I don't think Bogosian will ever have that game. Myers lacks Bogosian's nastiness though, which I miss already.

Playing with Enstrom means that he and Myers are a fairly "soft" duo together, we'll see how that works out long term but he'll bring more points, no doubt about it.

While I agree, I think it may be a good thing because what this has lacked was high end skilled players with a high hockey IQ which I think they received in spades with the acquisition of Myers and Stafford. As for the the nastiness part of it, we still have Buff, Trouba, Lowry and Peluso one of the best face punchers around.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
Yost is a moron. Stats have their place and are only a mere fraction of the big picture. Myers is going to shine in Winnipeg under PMo/Huddy's structure. Stupid article.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg

I totally agree with this.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
This season, Myers has been buried in the defensive zone in terms of usage, with almost twice as many D zone starts compared to O zone. Gorges has, too.

Of note, none of the other players who were used in the "with / without" analysis (except Gorges) have had that sort of D zone burial. So, if they are getting more O zone starts (or less D zone) apart from Myers, it's likely that their CF% stats are going to look better.

Unless the analysis takes zone usage into account, it's hard to interpret.

Still, it's something to keep an eye on.

It's flawed in assuming all things are equal, amongst all participants, and that cannot be farther from the truth.

There is a real push to make this a major analytical component, but it doesn't translate well to hockey.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Yost is a moron. Stats have their place and are only a mere fraction of the big picture. Myers is going to shine in Winnipeg under PMo/Huddy's structure. Stupid article.

A lot of Sabres fans seem to believe so as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad