Tyler Myers

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
My sentiments exactly.
The two most common misconceptions about this trade are that:
a) Kane is the best player, and
b)Bogo=Myers

Myers is a legit first pairing D who has the potential to flourish under the tutelage of Huddy, and within Maurice's system. His inconsistency, from what I have gleaned, is more a product of enormous expectations within an unstable team than any inherent flaw in his game. Kane, OTOH, has never played on a top line in 6 NHL seasons. He has the ability to score, for sure, but has never show the IQ to be able to mesh with with other great players. I don't need to elaborate, as Kane is well known on these boards, but I am quite comfortable in saying a top pairing D >> top-6 sniper.

The temptation to equate Bogo and Myers is understandable, but it begs the question...why then make the trade? Two obvious reasons are money and deferred NT status. The $$ are significant. Myers is way less costly Bogo, or, put another way, in the last year of Myers' contract, with the dollars saved, we could almost purchase another Perreault (or 2 Thorburns:naughty:) But, I digress... the real difference between the 2, IMO, has already been determined by coaching and scouting. Something tells me the Jets have concluded that, despite the best coaching and plenty of opportunity, Bogo does not have the H-IQ to play on the top pair consistently. Whereas, the Jets scouting staff is convinced that Myers, under optimal conditions (see quoted post above), could be a top-notch D , possibly replacing Buff, whether that be in 1 year or in 4.
The Jets coaching and, in particular, scouting staff have earned our trust over the past couple of seasons. So, the more I ponder the above, the more pleased I am.

Totally agree. I think the deferred NT clause, and the fact that Myers salary goes down while Bogo's goes up, is a massive plus to the Jets in this instance.

I think it's one of those things that HF'rs ignore while arguing on the trade board whether or not team A or team B needs to include a 3rd round pick for "balance". lol.

The deferred NT clause really helps out Chevy while dealing with Buff. If Buff gets signed and Chevy feels he needs to move Myers for some reason, he can. With Bogo, that flexibility was gone.

The declining salary is big for the Jets as well IMO. It could literally like you said, allow the Jets to afford an additional player that they couldn't if we still had Bogo. Or maybe instead of an additional player, that money is spread around a bit so we don't lose a few guys we have.

As for the on-ice portion, it's really going to be interesting to see Myers with a little less responsibility, and Bogo with more. I think Myers can really shine with some weight off his shoulders. As far as physicality goes, I'm not really expecting nor necessarily want Myers to think he needs to patrol the blue line looking for big open ice hits. He can leave that and the physical toll it entails to Stuart. As long as he uses his size and wingspan advantage to win puck battles along the boards and in-front of the net, I'm happier with that.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Really like what I saw from Meyer's last night in his first game with us.

He was poised back there, played some big minutes with a few errors, but far more positives were displayed. Its hard to step into a brand new situation on the point and expect a seamless transition. I would say he didn't look out of place at any point in the game last night, other than taking a canon ball shot on his leg, forcing him to play on one leg

What impressed as well was his off ice interview after the game. He seems intelligent and well spoken, and he comes across as a team first type of player, same with Stafford.

Not calling Kane out as not being a team first type player, as he always gave his all out there, its just nice having two new players that articulate it in interviews. Its nice to hear players state their appreciation towards playing for this organization.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I think he looked good out there. He acknowledged that there were some serious nerves in the first period, but after that I thought he looked pretty damn good.

Playing with Toby obviously doesn't hurt.

I thought he looked horrible in the 1st. Lots of turnovers and passes to nobody. I thought he settled down from there out though.

FWIW I assumed this was largely due to not knowing where his outlets are supposed to be.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
I think he looked good out there. He acknowledged that there were some serious nerves in the first period, but after that I thought he looked pretty damn good.

Playing with Toby obviously doesn't hurt.

Hmmm. Who was he playing with when his knee got hurt?;)

I really liked him out there. After some time with Huddy and a team that usually plays pretty well defensively he should really flourish.

I can't wait to see him play at MTSC on Monday night.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
219. I'm guessing he will continue to put on weight, but he'll never be close to Chara's weight.

Unless we make Buff share his food.

Buff probably will share Myers' food. Tyler will have to struggle to maintain his current weight. :laugh:

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Predicting the future, and reading the reports about Myers similar processing speed of the game as Bogosian, I predict he will be a whipping boy by the end of the year.

:laugh:

I am really happy to have him, despite the fact it took my favorite player going the other way to get him. It will be interesting to see if the Jets coaching can improve his game like they did with Bogo and Chiarot.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
I didn't think he looked very good vs preds(it was his first game with new teammates to be fair) .... Think he will need at least 10 games before an initial judgment can be made.... Can't wait to watch him live!

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You have to look at the entire situation, yes Kane was a 4th pick (2009), but he was on the third line in Winnipeg. He hustled, he hit, and he had one 30-goal season, but he was not going to play in Winnipeg again. Bogosian was a 3rd pick (2008), the same year Myers went 12th. But hadn't developed to that level yet. Kasdorf was a long-shot.

I will be generous to Bogosian, and call Bogosian/Myers a wash. So Winnipeg got a third line rental (?) with value at least for the rest of this year, an 'A' prospect in Lemieux (as per Button), Buffalo's top AHL scorer in Armia, and a first round pick for Kane and a toss in. When it first looked like Kane was on the way out, the hope was for a return that included a first, a prospect and a roster player.........the Jets got that, and an additional prospect. It also created more cap space for future moves. Well done Chevy!

This trade can easily be spun either way or anywhere in the middle. Buffalo's top AHL scorer is 5th on our offense challenged AHL team. He would be 1st in ppg but not by a wide margin. His ppg is well below what O'Dell did the 2 years previously. We won't be able to pick a winner in this trade for 2-3 years. If we come out of this with some good players long term I don't think it is important whether we "win" or not. We had a situation on our team that had to be corrected and it has been.

TBH though I look at this as 2 trades in 1. The Myers/Bogo move remains a little hard to understand. I find myself wondering why either team wanted it and then why the other team accepted it. Seems like a pointless lateral move.

The Kane swap now appears to have been Kane for a rental of a declining asset + 2 B prospects + a very late 1st. Really not that great. at least 1 of those parts will have to exceed those values by a fair bit for us to come out ahead or even. OTOH there were question marks associated with both Kane and Bogo so we will just have to wait and see what comes.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Whether it was prominent in Chevy's mind at the time or not the extra year before the NT/NMC kicks in could be very significant. Once Buff is signed he is free to move Myers if there is a good enough offer or keep him if not.

There was some talk at one point of Myers to Anaheim for Cam Fowler. That would address the L/R balance. Actual cost of Myers and Fowler over the next 4 years is almost = and Fowler would have a lower cap hit by 1.5 mil/yr. If Buff can't be resigned he can be traded and we still have two very good young RHD. The option to keep all 3 is still there also. This trade has freed up both cap and cash making this a possibility even if it remains a lot tied up in one area of the roster.

That decision making flexibility simply did not exist before this trade. Chevy had to make a decision before he was able to talk to Buff about extending. You can't put a $ value on that but it could be huge for us.

JetsOilersfan

Feb 4, 2012
This trade can easily be spun either way or anywhere in the middle. Buffalo's top AHL scorer is 5th on our offense challenged AHL team. He would be 1st in ppg but not by a wide margin. His ppg is well below what O'Dell did the 2 years previously. We won't be able to pick a winner in this trade for 2-3 years. If we come out of this with some good players long term I don't think it is important whether we "win" or not. We had a situation on our team that had to be corrected and it has been.

TBH though I look at this as 2 trades in 1. The Myers/Bogo move remains a little hard to understand. I find myself wondering why either team wanted it and then why the other team accepted it. Seems like a pointless lateral move.

The Kane swap now appears to have been Kane for a rental of a declining asset + 2 B prospects + a very late 1st. Really not that great. at least 1 of those parts will have to exceed those values by a fair bit for us to come out ahead or even. OTOH there were question marks associated with both Kane and Bogo so we will just have to wait and see what comes.

ummm actually no - you missed the point of the trade. The Jets objective is to make the playoffs NOW as in this season. Kane was done for the year. The trade was Kane for a veteran winger who can step in and play where Kane was THIS YEAR (check) and IMO has a better two way game. Now, chance are the Jets will lose him to UFA July 1, so that's why the prospects. Joel Armia and Brendan Lemieux are hardly 'B prospects' - maybe in YOUR eyes but I have a funny feeling you are not employed by an NHL team so your opinion means as much as mine. The people who do make a living on this game think Armia and Lemieux are, in fact, grade 'A' prospects. In fact, Chevy wasn't moving off of those guys. That late first rounder can also turn into another key rental player to help the Jets on the stretch run and in the playoffs.

Myers > Bogosian. Don't quite understand the love affair some fans have of this guy. Last I checked, he was picked after Doughty and before Pieterangelo - and both of those guys are LIGHT YEARS ahead of Bogo. It's not even close. Myers won rookie of the year and you got a taste tonight of what kind of player he is. He will easily outclass Bogo in every way save the physical aspect - and Bogo spent a lot more time injured than Myers has.

Kane should be, easy, a 35 goal man for the Sabres - and could even get 50 if his shoulder can hold up and he can change his attitude a bit and be more dedicated (he seems to be dedicated more to the extracarricular activity and at his age and his bank account I can't really blame him). So I think both teams will get something out of this trade, and in the end both teams may even 'win' this trade. Yes, that is possible, for both teams to 'win' a trade. Happens a lot actually - nothing wrong with that.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
The key is Charlie Huddy. He's one of the best assistant coaches in the league and makes every defenseman that plays for him so much better.

Bogosian was supposedly a trainwreck before the team left Atlanta
Byfuglien was always a decent defenseman but he's looking like a Norris candidate this year
Trouba - nothing needs to be said

Myers potentially has more talent than all of them. I'm eager to see what kind of magic Huddy can work.

Hasek

Jan 2, 2013
So happy to see Myers doing well. I hope he tears it up and wins a Norris before hos career is done.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Wings fan here. Myers looked great what a pick up for the Jets. That defense is huge and very hard to play against. I think you guys will wear teams down and be a tough team to beat in the playoffs. I really like this team a lot.

I am very jealous of Myers he could have solved a lot of problems for Detroit. I think to many people failed to grasp the reality of the Myers situation in Buffalo. Hard to look like a great player when you don't have much help facing top lines every night. I did notice him make a couple mistakes but I think the Jets have a strong club and will get him playing his best hockey down the stretch.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I thought Myers was really really great tonight. Stepped up big when we needed him.

Bps21*

Wings fan here. Myers looked great what a pick up for the Jets. That defense is huge and very hard to play against. I think you guys will wear teams down and be a tough team to beat in the playoffs. I really like this team a lot.

I am very jealous of Myers he could have solved a lot of problems for Detroit. I think to many people failed to grasp the reality of the Myers situation in Buffalo. Hard to look like a great player when you don't have much help facing top lines every night. I did notice him make a couple mistakes but I think the Jets have a strong club and will get him playing his best hockey down the stretch.

Buffalo fans spent the last year and a half trying to explain this to people. His zone starts, quality of teammate, quality of competition, how improved he was in his own end...we tried. And in return we got "Lolz Meyer is terrible I seen his scoring went down on the lowest scoring team in nhl history"

It was like pounding your head into the wall over and over.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
I have to admit that I knew very little about Myers prior to trade - other than the fact that's he's a giant :)

He has really impressed me. I understand the positive sentiments of the Sabres fans with their comments around here the last few days.

Very excited to see the player he will become over the next few years :handclap:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

This. Is. The. Truth.

I still am not a fan of the trade because we lost Myers. I think he's better than Bogo. Though i haven't seen a whole lot of bogo. I would have been cool with trading for Kane and leaving Myers out, but I'm pretty sure Myers was the deal breaker. Not sure you GM does the trade unless Myers is involved.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This. Is. The. Truth.

I still am not a fan of the trade because we lost Myers. I think he's better than Bogo. Though i haven't seen a whole lot of bogo. I would have been cool with trading for Kane and leaving Myers out, but I'm pretty sure Myers was the deal breaker. Not sure you GM does the trade unless Myers is involved.

Leave out Myers and Bogo and I think you are right. Kane for the rest would have had to have been upgraded. Murray implied that it was Chevy who brought up Myers first.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
The key is Charlie Huddy. He's one of the best assistant coaches in the league and makes every defenseman that plays for him so much better.

Bogosian was supposedly a trainwreck before the team left Atlanta
Byfuglien was always a decent defenseman but he's looking like a Norris candidate this year
Trouba - nothing needs to be said

Myers potentially has more talent than all of them. I'm eager to see what kind of magic Huddy can work.

I give Huddy very little credit to the bolded. Jmo.

Huddy was Buff's coach the last 3 years, when he wasn't a Norris candidate. In fact, he was moved to forward. PoMo did not make that decision. But did agree to leave him there. Huddy would have had a hand in that decision, first with Noel and then with Maurice. Buff emergence this year is more PoMo and having him pick his spots better.

Trouba was solid from day one.

There was improvement with Bogo. That, I give credit to Huddy.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00