Tyler Myers

R3DDRAG0N

Beaver Mafia
Aug 25, 2013
Winnipeg
His current contract started in 12/13, and was heavily front loaded:

12.000 6.000 5.000 5.000 4.000 3.500 3.000 UFA

nhlnumbers.com is a reasonable resource, though nowhere near as good as capgeek was. http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/WPG?expand=true&year=2015

WOW we are getting a deal if he pans out like I think with a decent d-corp...this is phenomenal for our team coupled with the fact Buffy needs to get resigned.....so we have come out quite ahead contract wise with this trade.....

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Said it somewhere else but I think we could potentially see the best of Tyler Myers under the structure and guidance of Maurice/Huddy. He was playing in a terrible system that was a vacuum for confidence in young players and was in a position to shoulder more than was needed in early years.

The great news is the kid didn't bust and even though the Sabres have been in tank mode for a couple seasons, he has managed to be one of the few bright spots. The coaching change certainly expedited that development and allowed him to flourish further.

So give him a system that works, a simple structure, and insulated with other veteran D men and this kid is going to do big things here. I would even go on a limb and say franchise changing. I am quite excited because he is coming into a system in Winnipeg that has been based around good character and team-first mentality; not to say Buffalo didn't have any of that, but a last place team invariably lacks in pretty well every area.

This could work out to be the perfect environment for Tyler Myers and as a Jets fan I could not be happier.

Well said, and I agree completely. Totally excited to see what he can become here.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
@flying pig: I should have clarified that I was speaking mainly of his CF% and scoring. Both track with Buffalo's overall trends. I like his upside, and think both stats will regress back to a more normalized value when he's on a stronger blueline with the Jets.

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Absolutely nothing against the guy but our priority in exchange for two good former top 5 draft picks is what, 3rd in rank at RD plus a 3rd line rental and a couple maybes to make the league? Only makes sense if Meyers gets moved soon or else it is insurance for losing Buff.

flyingpig

Pay the Troll Toll
May 26, 2006
Pay the troll toll
@flying pig: I should have clarified that I was speaking mainly of his CF% and scoring. Both track with Buffalo's overall trends. I like his upside, and think both stats will regress back to a more normalized value when he's on a stronger blueline with the Jets.

Got it and agree. May never be an almost 50 point guy like his rookie year, but can easily be 35- 40 point guy.

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
stoked on this trade. I think the jets have one of the best defensive core in the NHL

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
I guess Buffalo can go with the same logic, they gave up their #1 d-man (12th pick), their third leading scorer (13th pick), their top AHL prospect (16th pick), an 'A' prospect (31st pick), and a first rounder this year......for a third line winger (who is out for the rest of the season), and a guy who was 3rd in rank among RD on his previous team. Ooops, forgot the goalie, a 6th round pick.

Last edited:

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
Rental

I guess Buffalo can go with the same logic, they gave up their #1 d-man (12th pick), their third leading scorer (13th pick), their top AHL prospect (16th pick), an 'A' prospect (31st pick), and a first rounder this year......for a third line winger (who is out for the rest of the season), and a guy who was 3rd in rank among RD on his previous team. Ooops, forgot the goalie, a 6th round pick.

The RENTAL fits in at 8th leading scorer on Jets

kylehollywalter

Oct 22, 2014
Winnipeg MB

This... You should have quoted that other guy.

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
The RENTAL fits in at 8th leading scorer on Jets

You have to look at the entire situation, yes Kane was a 4th pick (2009), but he was on the third line in Winnipeg. He hustled, he hit, and he had one 30-goal season, but he was not going to play in Winnipeg again. Bogosian was a 3rd pick (2008), the same year Myers went 12th. But hadn't developed to that level yet. Kasdorf was a long-shot.

I will be generous to Bogosian, and call Bogosian/Myers a wash. So Winnipeg got a third line rental (?) with value at least for the rest of this year, an 'A' prospect in Lemieux (as per Button), Buffalo's top AHL scorer in Armia, and a first round pick for Kane and a toss in. When it first looked like Kane was on the way out, the hope was for a return that included a first, a prospect and a roster player.........the Jets got that, and an additional prospect. It also created more cap space for future moves. Well done Chevy!

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I would pair him up with Toby for a few games, let him find his confidence while playing with a reliable player like Enstrom, have him feeling good about himself.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
219. I'm guessing he will continue to put on weight, but he'll never be close to Chara's weight.

Unless we make Buff share his food.

Don't do this. Buff might get hungry and eat him.

EDIT: This is not meant as and should not be interpreted as a fat joke. More of a Buff is a monster joke.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Said it somewhere else but I think we could potentially see the best of Tyler Myers under the structure and guidance of Maurice/Huddy. He was playing in a terrible system that was a vacuum for confidence in young players and was in a position to shoulder more than was needed in early years.

The great news is the kid didn't bust and even though the Sabres have been in tank mode for a couple seasons, he has managed to be one of the few bright spots. The coaching change certainly expedited that development and allowed him to flourish further.

So give him a system that works, a simple structure, and insulated with other veteran D men and this kid is going to do big things here. I would even go on a limb and say franchise changing. I am quite excited because he is coming into a system in Winnipeg that has been based around good character and team-first mentality; not to say Buffalo didn't have any of that, but a last place team invariably lacks in pretty well every area.

This could work out to be the perfect environment for Tyler Myers and as a Jets fan I could not be happier.

My sentiments exactly.
The two most common misconceptions about this trade are that:
a) Kane is the best player, and
b)Bogo=Myers

Myers is a legit first pairing D who has the potential to flourish under the tutelage of Huddy, and within Maurice's system. His inconsistency, from what I have gleaned, is more a product of enormous expectations within an unstable team than any inherent flaw in his game. Kane, OTOH, has never played on a top line in 6 NHL seasons. He has the ability to score, for sure, but has never show the IQ to be able to mesh with with other great players. I don't need to elaborate, as Kane is well known on these boards, but I am quite comfortable in saying a top pairing D >> top-6 sniper.

The temptation to equate Bogo and Myers is understandable, but it begs the question...why then make the trade? Two obvious reasons are money and deferred NT status. The $$ are significant. Myers is way less costly Bogo, or, put another way, in the last year of Myers' contract, with the dollars saved, we could almost purchase another Perreault (or 2 Thorburns:naughty:) But, I digress... the real difference between the 2, IMO, has already been determined by coaching and scouting. Something tells me the Jets have concluded that, despite the best coaching and plenty of opportunity, Bogo does not have the H-IQ to play on the top pair consistently. Whereas, the Jets scouting staff is convinced that Myers, under optimal conditions (see quoted post above), could be a top-notch D , possibly replacing Buff, whether that be in 1 year or in 4.
The Jets coaching and, in particular, scouting staff have earned our trust over the past couple of seasons. So, the more I ponder the above, the more pleased I am.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Buffalo fans say his downward trend stopped last season.

Stopped as soon as Ruff was fired. Myers was one of the few players who manged not to look like utter crap under Ron Rolston and has excelled in very, very tough minutes (and a lot of them!) under Nolan. You guys should be excited to have him.

I'm probably not the first Sabres fan to pop over to these boards and give my $.02 on the trade, but I'll do a write up of my thoughts on Myers' game for anyone who's interested/hasn't watched him much over the last few seasons:

Defensive zone play:
This is the area Myers has made the biggest improvements in as a player. He used to really struggle when the other team had prolonged offensive zone possession and/or was cycling the puck. He was once prone to routinely making bad reads, losing his man, ugly turnovers, etc., but has simplified his game to better play into his strengths and really minimized those brain farts. Now he lets the game come to him more, which works pretty well when your wingspan covers about a quarter of the zone. He's also very effective at tying guys up along the boards. The area he's best in defensively is definitely against the rush, though. His skating, size and reach combine to make him very difficult to beat one-on-one or even on odd-man breaks. He also has no trouble getting back into plays to break them up even when he gets caught pinching in the offensive zone. You won't often see him go for big hits (unless someone made him mad), but he does consistently play the body. He's subject to sometimes taking penalties for being too tall when he does hit, so maybe it's for the best that he's not looking to rock guys every game.

Transition game:
This is where Myers really shines. His breakout passes are good, he can stretch the ice or make the easy pass, though he does still occasionally (as I mentioned before) have a brain fart and make a stupid turnover. Lots of D can do that though. What's special about Myers is his ability to skate the puck up. When he can find room to skate and decides he wants to go, he's a one-man breakout system. A thoroughbred. No teammates required. (Note: we call this Condor mode/Condor Myers.) When he starts galloping through the neutral zone with the puck, it's just a treat to watch.

Offensive zone:
Love his style of play, just wish he had better vision/playmaking ability (not that those traits are terrible, just wish they were better). He looks like a very, very poor man's Malkin stylistically when you give him the OK to pinch down low. Loves to take the puck along the boards, using his size and reach to protect the puck while waiting for a passing lane to open itself up to him. His slapshot is underwhelming, and he won't do you much good taking any kind of shots from the point, but once he makes it down to the top of the faceoff circle-ish, he's good with the wrister.

Overall: On his best nights, this is a kid who can dominate a game from start to finish in all 3 zones. He's not the world's most consistent player, but he's usually fun -- though sometimes frustrating -- to watch. He's been my favorite Sabre over the last couple seasons, and I'm really going to miss him. Hope he does well with Winnipeg. :)

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Stopped as soon as Ruff was fired. Myers was one of the few players who manged not to look like utter crap under Ron Rolston and has excelled in very, very tough minutes (and a lot of them!) under Nolan. You guys should be excited to have him.

I'm probably not the first Sabres fan to pop over to these boards and give my $.02 on the trade, but I'll do a write up of my thoughts on Myers' game for anyone who's interested/hasn't watched him much over the last few seasons:

Defensive zone play:
This is the area Myers has made the biggest improvements in as a player. He used to really struggle when the other team had prolonged offensive zone possession and/or was cycling the puck. He was once prone to routinely making bad reads, losing his man, ugly turnovers, etc., but has simplified his game to better play into his strengths and really minimized those brain farts. Now he lets the game come to him more, which works pretty well when your wingspan covers about a quarter of the zone. He's also very effective at tying guys up along the boards. The area he's best in defensively is definitely against the rush, though. His skating, size and reach combine to make him very difficult to beat one-on-one or even on odd-man breaks. He also has no trouble getting back into plays to break them up even when he gets caught pinching in the offensive zone. You won't often see him go for big hits (unless someone made him mad), but he does consistently play the body. He's subject to sometimes taking penalties for being too tall when he does hit, so maybe it's for the best that he's not looking to rock guys every game.

Transition game:
This is where Myers really shines. His breakout passes are good, he can stretch the ice or make the easy pass, though he does still occasionally (as I mentioned before) have a brain fart and make a stupid turnover. Lots of D can do that though. What's special about Myers is his ability to skate the puck up. When he can find room to skate and decides he wants to go, he's a one-man breakout system. A thoroughbred. No teammates required. (Note: we call this Condor mode/Condor Myers.) When he starts galloping through the neutral zone with the puck, it's just a treat to watch.

Offensive zone:
Love his style of play, just wish he had better vision/playmaking ability (not that those traits are terrible, just wish they were better). He looks like a very, very poor man's Malkin stylistically when you give him the OK to pinch down low. Loves to take the puck along the boards, using his size and reach to protect the puck while waiting for a passing lane to open itself up to him. His slapshot is underwhelming, and he won't do you much good taking any kind of shots from the point, but once he makes it down to the top of the faceoff circle-ish, he's good with the wrister.

Overall: On his best nights, this is a kid who can dominate a game from start to finish in all 3 zones. He's not the world's most consistent player, but he's usually fun -- though sometimes frustrating -- to watch. He's been my favorite Sabre over the last couple seasons, and I'm really going to miss him. Hope he does well with Winnipeg. :)

Wow, great summary! Thanks for stopping by. :handclap:

ZeroPT*

Myers is an absolute beast along the wall. Among the games elite in that area.

Jml78

Dec 14, 2013
YYZ

Defensive zone play:

Transition game:

Offensive zone:

Great assessment and also reasons why I think the Jets got the best defenceman from the deal.

ZeroPT*

If any of you have a way to watch archived games, go watch him in the game vs San Jose the day Miller got dealt. He was the best player on the ice and was dominant

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I think he looked good out there. He acknowledged that there were some serious nerves in the first period, but after that I thought he looked pretty damn good.

Playing with Toby obviously doesn't hurt.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009

Defensive zone play:

Transition game:

Offensive zone:

I've always found his transition game to be somewhat lacking. Myers has this habit of over thinking the play when he's rushing the puck. You can see it as it's happening. He'll move the puck from behind his net and then stops skating once he hits his own blue line. He'll look around to try and find the play and finally he'll toss the puck into someone's skates 10 feet away, or he'll dump the puck in but there's no one to retrieve it since they're all standing around at the blue line waiting for him to make a decision. When he struggles, this is the most obvious flaw in his game.

I totally agree that his defensive end coverage is leaps and bounds better than it ever was. Once he's in the offensive zone, I think he can do a good job keeping the puck in and his shot is underrated in my opinion. Still, a very good defencemen and there's a reason a lot teams were after him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad