Confirmed with Link: Tyler Motte to Motteawa [1yr 1.35m]

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
If Motte has a great motor and plays aggressively like Kelly , I will like him!
From the scouting reports/fan assessments I've been reading the guy has Condra level stamina and hits everything in sight. Basically an exemplary 4th liner, I think we're all going to be fans

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
What a brilliant, brilliant signing. I was huge advocate for one more notable strong 4th line presence to help insulate Pinto and slide up lineup without much negative impact and play our style of game.

I can't believe Dorion basically nailed it with this signing. He's literally got every single thing I could have dreamed for this off-season.

My dream forward lineup(posted in April) basically came to fruition this off-season, and then some. Only thing missing is a top 4, and that is almost guaranteed sometime this season.

One of our biggest needs in the off-season is a notable 4th line C, where if we get injury in top 6 C, he can "fill in" without a serious black hole there.

Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Giroux/Fiala-Stutzle-Joseph/Brown
Formenton-Pinto-Brown/Joseph
Kelly-xxxx-Watson
Kastelic

Could very well be Ridley Greig, tbh. But we might look for more proven player, especially with Pinto still a rookie. Might be someone we get in return for Colin White.
One of our biggest needs going into next year is a notable 4th line C who is multidimensional(can handle all types of play) and can possibly move up a slot without too much hindrance should there be an injury. They loved what they saw from Kastelic in his last call-up, they want to see a bit more before finalizing their thoughts on bringing in a notable 4th line externally, or finding someone who is good enough that he can alternate with Kastelic if he falters.

Reactions: 2CHAINZ

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The only reason for this is... we need a proven PKer?

Connor Brown at 3.6 or Tyler Motte at 1.35 ??? :innocent:

IF Formenton is done then trading Brown was a really bad move, like I said earlier this summer. Could have just enjoyed Brown for the season then let him walk as a UFA (or even trade him at the deadline)

I mean, what did the Sens expect with the Team Canada scandal? This was certainly a possibility (again, IF)

Weird... No confidence in any of?

Parker Kelly
Jayce Hawryluk
Ridly Greig
Angus Crookshank
Egor Sokolov
Viktor Lodin
Roby Järventie

I would take a rotation of these 7 players instead of Tyler Motte, not even close.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

If Formenton is done then trading Brown was a really bad move, like I said earlier this summer. Just let Brown walk as a RFA or trade him at the deadline, like I said.

Motte can play on the 4th line while Brown can't, shouldn't or wouldn't be happy doing so.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

That's not really the swap.

Giroux is replacing Brown as RW2 = Significant upgrade.
DeBrincat is replacing Formenton as LW2 = Significant upgrade.
Joseph is replacing Ennis is RW3 = Solid upgrade.
Motte is replacing Paul as LW3 = Minor downgrade.

All in, a very good improvement.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
By the way, Motte has never really played Center in the NHL

Motte can play on the 4th line while Brown can't, shouldn't or wouldn't be happy doing so.
That's not really the swap.

Giroux is replacing Brown as RW2 = Significant upgrade.
DeBrincat is replacing Formenton as LW2 = Significant upgrade.
Joseph is replacing Ennis is RW3 = Solid upgrade.
Motte is replacing Paul as LW3 = Minor downgrade.

All in, a very good improvement.

HUGE emphasis on "IF Formenton is done"

DeBrincat - Stutzle - Giroux
Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Joseph - Pinto - Brown
Kelly - Kastelic - Watson

Reactions: 2CHAINZ and NyQuil

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Right. I'm just going off who is currently signed to a contract. If Formenton is back, he replaces Paul as LW3, and Motte slides down.

If Forms is back then no problem on the 3rd line, I always agreed that we couldn't really have all of Formenton, Brown and Joseph

But now for the last forward spot (assuming it's Kastelic and Gambrell for the 4th line Center spot), who would you rather have :

Tyler Motte?

or a rotation of :

Parker Kelly
Jayce Hawryluk
Ridly Greig
Angus Crookshank
Egor Sokolov
Viktor Lodin
Roby Järventie

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
If Forms is back then no problem on the 3rd line, I always agreed that we couldn't really have all of Formenton, Brown and Joseph

But now for the last forward spot (assuming it's Kastelic and Gambrell for the 4th line Center spot), who would you rather have :

Tyler Motte?

or a rotation of :

Parker Kelly
Jayce Hawryluk
Ridly Greig
Angus Crookshank
Egor Sokolov
Viktor Lodin
Roby Järventie

Tyler Motte, no questions asked. He's a guy who was playing a solid role and meaningful minutes in playoff games, on a very good team, last season.

Kelly could develop into a Motte, but he's not there yet.

Greig obviously has high-end upside, but he's coming into his first season. If he makes the team, it'll be to contribute offensively. Not to provide energy and kill penalties as a 4th liner.

Crookshank, Sokolov, Lodin or Jarventie? Those guys shouldn't be on an NHL roster looking to make the playoffs, at this point. They're AHLers until proven otherwise. And they have a lot to prove in the minors still.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
or a rotation of :

Parker Kelly
Jayce Hawryluk
Ridly Greig
Angus Crookshank
Egor Sokolov
Viktor Lodin
Roby Järventie

A lot of those guys will get better icetime and opportunities in Belleville.

We're not used to actually having a farm team because so much of our young talent was brought in to be our core.

Reactions: DrEasy and 2CHAINZ

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Tyler Motte, no questions asked. He's a guy who was playing a solid role and meaningful minutes in playoff games, on a very good team, last season.

Kelly could develop into a Motte, but he's not there yet.

Greig obviously has high-end upside, but he's coming into his first season. If he makes the team, it'll be to contribute offensively. Not to provide energy and kill penalties as a 4th liner.

Crookshank, Sokolov, Lodin or Jarventie? Those guys shouldn't be on an NHL roster looking to make the playoffs, at this point. They're AHLers until proven otherwise. And they have a lot to prove in the minors still.

Ok I'm ready to give Motte a chance and see how he fits. At least he's another good PK option for DJ

And it's better for Greig and Jarventie to spend all season in the AHL anyway. Having an open spot could tempt the Sens to call them up since they are the most talented in that group

Crookshank might need time to get back in the groove after missing a full season.

Lodin could use more AHL time to get used to NA, will probably get a callup with a Top-9 injury

We don't care about Hawryluk development (same for Sabourin, etc)

So that leaves Kelly and Sokolov.... sucks a bit for them

But seriously, if it means that we don't see a Sabourin called up this season, I am very happy with this signing :laugh:

A lot of those guys will get better icetime and opportunities in Belleville.

We're not used to actually having a farm team because so much of our young talent was brought in to be our core.

See above. Another good thing is this season we are depth proof. I think Motte is an insurance policy in case of injuries (and Formenton)

In the end, I really wanted to see Crookshank make it this season... maybe he'll have a better chance next year

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
It seen foolish not to sign Formenton due to waiting on the HC hearings.

Just sign him and if he's guilty, terminate the contract.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I don't care about this signing but I have my like ability back so who needs a like ?

I was briefly excited because I thought my takes were resonating really well.

But it turns out that was just being used in an orgy of liking everyone.

I feel unclean.
Likes used to be so much easier when everyone was hating on Melnyk and we all handed them out like candy. Feel hard up these days.

#MelnykOut?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad