Confirmed with Link: Tyler Motte to Motteawa [1yr 1.35m]

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I really doubt any team is going to trade for Formenton at this point in time, and if his name is cleared, I'm not sure why the Sens would trade him.

If his name is cleared, there's a solid reason to trade him.

1. He has significant value
2. Ottawa may not want/be able to pay him what he wants on an extended term
3. Ridley Greig is angling for his roster spot

He's absolutely the asset we should use to improve the defense (if he's cleared).

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
Motte is in no way a potential replacement for Formenton.
Grieg is Formenton's replacement, a guy like Motte just fills the gap in the short term

Obviously, this would only be the case if 1) they are looking to trade Forms or 2) the contract negotiations are not going well

Reactions: 2CHAINZ

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Nice inexpensive depth pick up. He’s got good wheels, is a hard worker and is good defensively.

I don’t like what this might signal for Formenton.

Reactions: DrEasy and 2CHAINZ

OUTHOUSE

Feb 16, 2008
99 Rideau
Fair enough. I just believe he is the perfect third liner for this team, but if it means upgrading D then I would understand.

R We A Team

Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Ottawa
Why is everyone in such a rush to trade Alex Formenton? In my opinion he is the type of player you keep not look to trade. Great speed, long wing span which helps for P.K. duties. He is a terror on the forecheck as well with his speed. SPEED KILLS.... when he hits his peak he will be deadly.

Why not wait and see exactly what we have on defence this year before starting to trade out players that will be worth a whole lot more sooner rather than later.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Why is everyone in such a rush to trade Alex Formenton? In my opinion he is the type of player you keep not look to trade. Great speed, long wing span which helps for P.K. duties. He is a terror on the forecheck as well with his speed. SPEED KILLS.... when he hits his peak he will be deadly.

Why not wait and see exactly what we have on defence this year before starting to trade out players that will be worth a whole lot more sooner rather than later.

I don't think anyone is in a rush to trade Formenton.

People are suggesting trading him in the context of acquiring a top-end defenseman like Jake Chychrun. You have to give to get. And what would have more value to this team? A stable top-4 D who can play 22-25 minutes a night, or a 3rd line LWer who can PK?

Reactions: DrEasy and 2CHAINZ

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Ranger fan here.

Motte is a fantastic 4th liner and PK'er. Really changed the dynamic of our bottom 6 after we acquired him and we missed him when he got hurt. Our 4th line went from awful to awesome the second we got him and guys like Rooney were out injured/didn't play.

1.35 for 1 is a very strong deal as he's had trouble staying healthy, but with a one year commitment theres nearly zero risk attached to the deal. Wish we had the cap space to keep him on that deal.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Huh. Wasn't expecting this. Seems like a good 4th line option, does this push Gambrell to be the 13th forward or are we making another move?

MoreGore

Jul 13, 2022
I was thinking that Ottawa needed to add veteran depth up front.

When you look at Ottawa and Bellville the teams look solid, but then you take out 4 - 6 players due to injury and that changes everything. A player like Motte fits in perfectly.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Huh. Wasn't expecting this. Seems like a good 4th line option, does this push Gambrell to be the 13th forward or are we making another move?

Based on the current players signed, I'd guess:

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
DeBrincat - Stützle - Giroux
Kelly - Pinto - Joseph
Motte - Gambrell - Watson

Kastelic and Hawryluk battle for the 13th forward spot.

I don't think we should underestimate how much DJ likes Parker Kelly. He was put in some good spots last year and showed well. If Formenton stays unsigned, I bet he gets the first crack at that 3rd line LW spot.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
The real question we need an answer to is.. "if" Formenton is traded, who becomes the next target for "he who shall not be named"? White, Formenton...who will be next to face "his" wrath?! It could be anybody! It could be you!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad