Confirmed with Link: Tyler Motte to Motteawa [1yr 1.35m]

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
How cant you be happy with this from all the glowing comments he gets from his former teams fans.

And he chose to sign here and wasnt traded. Weve seen what disgruntled bottom 6 energy guys like Paquette and Sanford are worth to us (ie nothing at all). And on a 1 year prove it contract, this guy is going to be flying out there and full of motivation. Another michigan guy too so he should fit right in with the room.

Just goes to show how crazy over saturated the market was this year for forwards - its a buyers world right now. And its why we only got a 2nd for Brown - who frankly has been replaced by a better priced/younger/more elite player. Depending on who you pick.

Reactions: 2CHAINZ

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
How cant you be happy with this from all the glowing comments he gets from his former teams fans.

And he chose to sign here and wasnt traded. Weve seen what disgruntled bottom 6 energy guys like Paquette and Sanford are worth to us (ie nothing at all). And on a 1 year prove it contract, this guy is going to be flying out there and full of motivation. Another michigan guy too so he should fit right in with the room.

Just goes to show how crazy over saturated the market was this year for forwards - its a buyers world right now. And its why we only got a 2nd for Brown - who frankly has been replaced by a better priced/younger/more elite player. Depending on who you pick.

Also goes to show what a positive outlook on the future of a team does for the market and attracting players. Not that Motte is a big get but he for sure had options out there throughout the summer. He's a pretty dependable and reliable bottom 6 guy who didn't have to come here. Especially not on a 1 year deal in previous years. This is the type of situation you don't attract when the team shows no commitment to winning and constantly cuts salary. Players don't want to be in a situation where they could risk having a bad year on a bad team and put their future in jeopardy. When you tell a guy you will play 3rd line minutes with guys like Pinto and Joseph and play a major role on a team on the upswing, that's attractive, even whether the team is in California or in Ontario.

When management shows commitment, the players do the same and fans as well. Something one person in particular doesn't understand over here (and it's not you!)

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Also goes to show what a positive outlook on the future of a team does for the market and attracting players. Not that Motte is a big get but he for sure had options out there throughout the summer. He's a pretty dependable and reliable bottom 6 guy who didn't have to come here. Especially not on a 1 year deal in previous years. This is the type of situation you don't attract when the team shows no commitment to winning and constantly cuts salary. Players don't want to be in a situation where they could risk having a bad year on a bad team and put their future in jeopardy. When you tell a guy you will play 3rd line minutes with guys like Pinto and Joseph and play a major role on a team on the upswing, that's attractive, even whether the team is in California or in Ontario.

When management shows commitment, the players do the same and fans as well. Something one person in particular doesn't understand over here (and it's not you!)

Without a doubt Ottawa is a fun team to be a part of right now for any hardworking player in the league that is passionate about hockey and winning, and values a great atmosphere in the locker room, and has a coach who's known to be players coach that rewards effort.

Its not fun coming to the rink everyday if any of those things are badly off... Unless you dont give AF about hockey the moment you leave the rink, and care more about max dollars, nicer weather and living the high life somewhere that makes you and your ego feel important. In which case, those folks need not apply...

Having a massive amount of young Americans on the team and in the system that seem to generally love being in Ottawa is going to always help the cause too. Cant be ignored.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2CHAINZ

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Good signing, reminds me a lot of C. Brown maybe without the playmaking, but with Pinto as his centre he might just be able to put up as many pts, at least we hope the line does. Should bolster the PK & give us another dangerous PK player.
And the man hits everything that is close to the puck.

Reactions: 2CHAINZ and aragorn

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
There was a reason I was so exited when most were saying he was a ”4th liner”.
Well on a contender he is, he was last year in NYR. But he is good enough to move up to the 3rd line on a good team too. Really liked the signing, it was a good and necessary move for the teams depth.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Well on a contender he is, he was last year in NYR. But he is good enough to move up to the 3rd line on a good team too. Really liked the signing, it was a good and necessary move for the teams depth.
@bert

How do you think Formenton fits with Pinto and Joseph. I really like Formenton as a player but I’m unsure if his hockey sense makes him a slam dunk to be a fit on that line.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
@bert

How do you think Formenton fits with Pinto and Joseph. I really like Formenton as a player but I’m unsure if his hockey sense makes him a slam dunk to be a fit on that line.
I think if he can play with Stutzle he should be able to play with those guys. Last year in pre season he played a game on Pintos line and they were dynamic.

Reactions: aragorn

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I think if he can play with Stutzle he should be able to play with those guys. Last year in pre season he played a game on Pintos line and they were dynamic.
Thanks for the opinion.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
@bert

They'll be the best 3rd line in the league. I called it the moment we traded for Joseph. Pinto and Joseph need someone with gamebreaking ability(speed on the other-side to elevate their threat level from 2 way to something a little more than that) I knew the writing was on the wall for Brown the moment we got Joseph as he is perfect on that RW with Pinto, imo.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
The kind of guy we should have given 1.5M x 2 years instead considering his career high of 15 points ish (shorterned season). Understandbly I imagine he and his agent were probably not keen on term since he could "break out" and get a 2.5M x 4 year any summer now.

It's good to have continuation with these strong depth players for 3-4 years like Paul, Brown, Pageau, Watson, and going back further MacArthur, Condra, Methot, and Smith. Guys that can play up to the 2nd or 3rd line without the team losing a beat, but know their spot on the roster and cost a discount, relative to the top line guys. The consistency on the roster gives stability to the rest of the team I find, especially if personalities gel like the aforementioned guys. Feels like Motte also will fit in well with both the new guard and the vets, as a mid point guy in age, but also in style of play.

A lot of breathing room too if you have a guy signed at 1.5M scoring 20-25 points for 2-3 years like Brown signed at 2.1M but getting 40+ points out of him.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad