Confirmed with Link: Tyler Motte to Motteawa [1yr 1.35m]

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Kastelic plays center though, something that Motte hasn't really done in a while.

Also, are we sure at this point that Formenton isn't actually just erased from this reality.
we have Gambrell who is pretty much a lock at C i think

Kelly, Watson and Motte being the other options on wing. Not bad...Don't think a guy like Watson needs to play every night

Reactions: 2CHAINZ

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Motte was one of the best defensive depth guys in the league last year.

This is a security move if Formenton doesn't get signed before start of the year (or worst case he gets suspended). Also we lost 2 very experienced PK guys last year in Paul and Brown. We bring in Motte to help out and its a very smart move.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Based on the current players signed, I'd guess:

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
DeBrincat - Stützle - Giroux
Kelly - Pinto - Joseph
Motte - Gambrell - Watson

Kastelic and Hawryluk battle for the 13th forward spot.

I don't think we should underestimate how much DJ likes Parker Kelly. He was put in some good spots last year and showed well. If Formenton stays unsigned, I bet he gets the first crack at that 3rd line LW spot.
I'm still hopeful Formenton gets signed, but this move does suggest they might be preparing to start without him.

I'd also like to think Sokolov, Greig and possibly Lodin would challenge for a 3rd line spot, it might require Joseph playing LW though. Almost forgot about Crookshank, I think he'll be a late cut with an off chance of making the squad.

As for Hawrluk, I completely forgot about him...

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
For those unsure check out this thread from last week:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I suppose Motte is better than signing an ageing vet who wants a 1 year retirement contract.

Hopefully we sign Formenton soon to play on the 3rd line.

Losing both Formenton and C. Brown would not be good at all.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I'm still hopeful Formenton gets signed, but this move does suggest they might be preparing to start without him.

I'd also like to think Sokolov, Greig and possibly Lodin would challenge for a 3rd line spot, it might require Joseph playing LW though. Almost forgot about Crookshank, I think he'll be a late cut with an off chance of making the squad.

The ideal scenario would be for Greig to push his way onto the team by game 40 or so, so you can have a 4th line of Kelly - Gambrell/Kastelic - Motte and Watson as the 13. Maybe even upgrade the 4th line C spot at the deadline.

Unless he's drastically improved his foot speed, I'm not sure Sokolov is the type of player DJ will want in his bottom 6.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The real question we need an answer to is.. "if" Formenton is traded, who becomes the next target for "he who shall not be named"? White, Formenton...who will be next to face "his" wrath?! It could be anybody! It could be you!
Loach to the Leaf board for ?

Reactions: Loach and 2CHAINZ

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa

Crookshank is one of my dark horses to make the team later in the year. He was the best Sens player at least during the rookie tournament before he was injured last year. He's almost 23, so a bit more mature than some others in Belleville too.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
losing Formenton and Brown in one offseason would be a huge hit for the sens imo

hopefully they can sign formenton
A huge hit? If there were no additions I would agree with you but when you add Debrincat, Giroux , and Motte the impact is minimal.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
A huge hit? If there were no additions I would agree with you but when you add Debrincat, Giroux , and Motte the impact is minimal.
I agree with you on Motte. However, is Giroux known to be a PK guy? or Debrincat for that matter? Debricat wasn't known to be a physical guy in Chicago. I'm speaking more from the defensive side of things.

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
I agree with you on Motte. However, is Giroux known to be a PK guy? or Debrincat for that matter? Debricat wasn't known to be a physical guy in Chicago.
From what I've read (I admittedly don't really watch the Hawks) Brinksy is super tenacious a la Pageau in that he won't back down and buzzes around like a hornet. "Feisty" if you will.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I agree with you on Motte. However, is Giroux known to be a PK guy? or Debrincat for that matter? Debricat wasn't known to be a physical guy in Chicago. I'm speaking more from the defensive side of things.

With this addition, there are plenty of guys who can play PK minutes: Joseph, Motte, Kelly, Pinto, Watson, Gambrell.

I don't think you want DeBrincat or Giroux out there anyway. Save their energy for ES and PP.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I want Formenton signed to play on the 3rd line. The team was looking VG with him there. Without him I feel it will be a letdown.

With the roster additions we've made, Formenton was likely to play 14-15 minutes per night. While it's certainly a downgrade to go from him to one of Motte or Kelly on the 3rd line, it's not nearly a big enough downgrade to have a big impact on how well this team does.

There's no doubt that DeBrincat + Motte is better than Formenton + Paul, which is essentially the tradeoff we've made at LW.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I suppose the addition of Motte means Kastelic is going to be in Belleville.

If the Sens sign Formenton and get a decent RD to replace Zaitsev, I will be a happy fan.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
One thing is for sure, in terms of energy + pace, it'll be refreshing watching a bottom 6 anchored by Pinto, Joseph, Motte and Kelly compared to White, Tierney, Gaudette and Sanford last season. Having players who move their feet will be a welcome change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad