TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
McGuire has to fill more time on multiple media platforms than he has material, so he sensationalizes and exaggerates positions otherwise they'd be devoid of entertainment value. Taking everything he says literally, and overly extrapolating on his pontifications, especially on his daily bluster, is particularly misleading. I don't think he would say half the stuff he utters, in the same manner, if it were off air. And when you're being broadcast as often as he is, you're going to contradict yourself, like it or not. Too easy for fans to pick and choose and play sniper. But, he is getting what his role demands, people are talking about him in forums like HQ.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Listening to Ray Ferraro earlier and Melnick asked him if the Habs will make the playoffs and Ferraro said he didn't pick them to make it.
Melnick gave a sermon one day on the irrelevance of prédictions (which I agree with).

But he loves asking people for them. He was trying to bring up one with Aaron Ward with Claude Julien on the line the other day and Julien wasn`t impressed.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Another thing lately is this whole Coleman and Gallo "hype" on their station. They make a big deal of it when Gallo joins the scrum a half hour in....they constantly prop his shows up and now he's doing a spot for this pillow, and he doesnt come off naturally although he improved slightly from when he just began it. Plus he has a commercial ad for it, on top of already slotting in moments to dedicate a pillow to somebody for whatever reason. I cant really take it, and the guy is a Leafs fan which makes things worse. Just too much of them, but Gallo especially.

Gallo is a smug little f***er and comes across as entitled. I can't understand how he continues to receive so much hype from Melnick. Gallo likes to fancy himself as some kind of relaxation guru, with his nauseating pillow promos and his arcane week-end segments where he makes himself out to be a voice of calm. What a rank amateur. Send him off to CFMB to do his classes or some station in Sudbury. He can't connect with an audience, the guy needs a massive dose of humility. Not on our time please.

Ugh, Melnick, what happened to you? You've become a proponent of mediocrity with all these infantile halfwits you're shamelessly promoting to on air positions, from your production room. Just cause they know how to intern doesn't make them interesting or seasoned radio personalities. Remember your heroes Ted Blackman, Ted Tevan and Nick Auf der Maur? They toiled in the minors and honed their skills before they hit the big time. Stop promoting juveniles already, this ain't Flin Flon radio.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Tony brought up some clips from Jose Theodore's article and played audio clips from Pacioretty. In a nutshell, Patches said it's hard to handle passes from the the defence when they come up the boards.

Paraphrasing, the Canadiens' defense are complaining opposing forwards are coming in too fast.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
Tony brought up some clips from Jose Theodore's article and played audio clips from Pacioretty. In a nutshell, Patches said it's hard to handle passes from the the defence when they come up the boards.

Paraphrasing, the Canadiens' defense are complaining opposing forwards are coming in too fast.

"I get the puck then bam. I got a guy on me. Making passes is hard."
- Montreal Canadiens defense, probably.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I missed the first 30 minutes of Tony's show but did he even mention that today is the Habs home opener? All I've heard is what he thinks is wrong with soccer in Canada and how he thinks to try and fix it. I don't watch or even care anything about soccer personally so maybe I'm in the minority when it comes to soccer here in Canada. Tony seems very passionate towards soccer though I'll give him that so good luck trying to change things.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I missed the first 30 minutes of Tony's show but did he even mention that today is the Habs home opener? All I've heard is what he thinks is wrong with soccer in Canada and how he thinks to try and fix it. I don't watch or even care anything about soccer personally so maybe I'm in the minority when it comes to soccer here in Canada. Tony seems very passionate towards soccer though I'll give him that so good luck trying to change things.

Marinaro is an unabashed soccer shill. He's shamelessly plugging camps and soccer programs that happen to cater to kids that are the same age as his own ... what a coincidence.

To open a show with soccer when the Habs are the talk of the town, you really have to want to shove it down people's throats. Luckily, 91.9 FM is there to pick up the slack. They focus on hockey first and foremost and are never short of callers and guests all day long. Whenever Marinaro is making pitches to seek employment with Saputo, I just switch over to 91.9 FM. And unlike Marinaro, the guy who goes up against him in the same time slot, Gilbert "Le Stud" Delorme, is always respectful of his audience.

Delorme doesn't humiliate callers like Marinaro does with the likes of Peter from Westmount who is so obviously vulnerable and naive, Delorme doesn't try to be someone else unlike Marinaro who steals Ted Tevan's mannerisms and most importantly, Delorme never cuts anyone off, he is really patient and respectful. I've heard Delorme handle really sensitive calls from individuals that have a speech impediment, individuals who sound like they are intellectually disabled and even kids and you come out thinking how much class Delorme has to do that without belittling anyone.

Marinaro is entertaining but all too often goes overboards and acts like a big "cafone" (Urban Dictionary: uncouth, boorish, ill-mannered person) and becomes cringeworthy, especially when he takes advantage of vulnerable callers to create dubious entertainment.

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
Marinaro is an unabashed soccer shill. He's shamelessly plugging camps and soccer programs that happen to cater to kids that are the same age as his own ... what a coincidence.

To open a show with soccer when the Habs are the talk of the town, you really have to want to shove it down people's throats. Luckily, 91.9 FM is there to pick up the slack. They focus on hockey first and foremost and are never short of callers and guests all day long. Whenever Marinaro is making pitches to seek employment with Saputo, I just switch over to 91.9 FM. And unlike Marinaro, the guy who goes up against him in the same time slot, Gilbert "Le Stud" Delorme, is always respectful of his audience.

Delorme doesn't humiliate callers like Marinaro does with the likes of Peter from Westmount who is so obviously vulnerable and naive, Delorme doesn't try to be someone else unlike Marinaro who steals Ted Tevan's mannerisms and most importantly, Delorme never cuts anyone off, he is really patient and respectful. I've heard Delorme handle really sensitive calls from individuals that have a speech impediment, individuals who sound like they are intellectually disabled and even kids and you come out thinking how much class Delorme has to do that without belittling anyone.

Marinaro is entertaining but all too often goes overboards and acts like a big "cafone" (Urban Dictionary: uncouth, boorish, ill-mannered person) and becomes cringeworthy, especially when he takes advantage of vulnerable callers to create dubious entertainment.

Yeah , it started rubbing me the wrong way . It became way too obvious what he wanted from with his specific Camps and Programs he would invite on lol Then there was that awkward call with Larry Robinson he had where he kept forcing a meeting between Larry and his kids lol

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yeah , it started rubbing me the wrong way . It became way too obvious what he wanted from with his specific Camps and Programs he would invite on lol Then there was that awkward call with Larry Robinson he had where he kept forcing a meeting between Larry and his kids lol

I had forgotten about the Robinson call. Marinaro was trying way too hard to pretend he was Robinson's best friend but Robinson wouldn't bite. That's the one thing that fans always appreciated about Robinson, he doesn't take kindly to bullshit. Also, didn't he offer to hook Robinson up with some Grand Prix tickets, cause Tony knows someone? As if Robinson can't afford his own tickets or doesn't know anyone in the Montreal area who can do the same.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
THIS, was the crystal clear moment when it became clear that something was not right.

His words...and I cringed: "My treat"....like Larry needs a handout!?!
I would expand on this but when I do, I get banned from this thread because certain on air personalities have thin skin.

Say we were talking about someone else though, and they did this, it would look like narcissism in that particular case.

Captain aHab

Mar 7, 2009
Hockey Inside Out is going to a FB commenting board on the Gazette website and it looks like it'll be a pay site next year.

So time to move here!! Anyone else migrating?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I have no issues with trading Galchenyuk...
But have serious issues with the idea that he has to be traded. Because that implies the return won't be so great.

I wouldn't trade him even if someone is asking for him as opposed to the Habs wanting to dump him.

In either case, other GMs must sense an opportunity to get a good talent on the cheap. Let him find his game, and then some before exploring other options.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
I am here but I have no idea how this works or what I am suppose to do

Find the threads you like and start to post! Use the reply button to reply directly to another poster, watch the bell icon in the top corner to see if anyone replies to you. That's the basics.

Welcome!

Mavid

Oct 17, 2017
Limoges
Find the threads you like and start to post! Use the reply button to reply directly to another poster, watch the bell icon in the top corner to see if anyone replies to you. That's the basics.

Welcome!
I think I get the jest of it..I did end up on some kind of betting thread..one too many clicks I guess

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad