TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
I am saying what I observe, Bergevin inherited this roster, Galchenyuk was a given at the draft position, a center which we desperately needed and we bounce him from the wing to center and his development is lacking and now we see the warts. he inherited Price, Subban, Pacioretty and company and we sit here 5 years later and have done no more than the regimes before him. Bergevin said that we have less than 5 great prospects in the system, it has not been a successful 5 years.

ironically Galchenyuk has been the most successful of all the top 5 picks that year.

McGuires Corndog

Marc Bergevin juju exorcist
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
And what the heck happened after that 13-1 start ? Did Muller forget how to coach?

This is laughable really...

Team starts on fire =Muller
Team struggles after =Therrien

On the bright side you should be able to listen to Therrien's wisdom on L'Antichambre shortly!

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
On the bright side you should be able to listen to Therrien's wisdom on L'Antichambre shortly!

and welcome to it. :laugh:
I remember his first stint on AC where he harped on how bad Subban and Eller were before taking over the coaching duties. :sarcasm:

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
ironically Galchenyuk has been the most successful of all the top 5 picks that year.

I was eluding to the problems in his game today and not his point totals. Year 5 after he was drafted as a center, we were not exactly deep there in 2012 either so no real need to bounce him around, teach him the game in his first 2 years and go with him.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
About Kassian, Semin, Briere, and PAP being "misses", really? That'swhat you're complaining about? I'm not surprised but let me try anyways...he took a shot on those players with ZERO risk and got rid of them as soon as he realized it wasn't going to work. Besides, Briere helped us win a playoff round so I considering the price, I would say it worked out fine.

Did that hamper the team long term? I don't get it...

Did it kill us long term, no of course not but on the flip side we wasted 3+ years of Price's prime. Our best chance at winning the cup were those years that Price was in his prime, Markov/Plekanec were still contributing, and young guys like Galchenyuk, Gallagher were on cheap ELC.

Had we paid the price and gotten a real top-6 player maybe some of those years we would've had a much better chance at the cup.

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
Chucky is so getting traded lol This is PK all over again . Media Superfocused on his weaknesses and forget he is what 3rd in team scoring and he missed 24 games .

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I have no issues with trading Galchenyuk...
But have serious issues with the idea that he has to be traded. Because that implies the return won't be so great.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
But have serious issues with the idea that he has to be traded. Because that implies the return won't be so great.

Go get Duchene. Add an asset or two if you need. Problem fixed.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016

It feels like both AG and NB are most likely to be traded.

To me they both have had their value diminished this year, and they were once top prospects who we still haven't quite figured out. I know Nate has brain cramps and is inconsistent but so many young D are up and down in their early years. I would have like to see him get an extended run with Weber for the first 30 games or so. I know that would have possibly come at a cost in the standings but sometimes that investment has to be made.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Go get Duchene. Add an asset or two if you need. Problem fixed.

With regard, Duchene for Galchenyuk feels VERY lateral. Duchene is a better skater and Galchenuk is a slightly better shooter. Both are not-ideal 1st centers.

To me they both have had their value diminished this year, and they were once top prospects who we still haven't quite figured out. I know Nate has brain cramps and is inconsistent but so many young D are up and down in their early years. I would have like to see him get an extended run with Weber for the first 30 games or so. I know that would have possibly come at a cost in the standings but sometimes that investment has to be made.

Eh... Nathan Beaulieu didn't diminish his value, like, at all. If anything, he proved he was a Top-4 D, something he didn't quite do before this season.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
With regard, Duchene for Galchenyuk feels VERY lateral. Duchene is a better skater and Galchenuk is a slightly better shooter. Both are not-ideal 1st centers.

Eh... Nathan Beaulieu didn't diminish his value, like, at all. If anything, he proved he was a Top-4 D, something he didn't quite do before this season.

I would disagree with that. He started on the top pairing, and is now on the third. He hasn't had many extended runs with the same partner. I can't recall but I am sure someone will if he has been a scratch at all this year.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I would disagree with that. He started on the top pairing, and is now on the third. He hasn't had many extended runs with the same partner. I can't recall but I am sure someone will if he has been a scratch at all this year.

Beaulieu plays 20 minutes a game. How is that NOT Top-4 ?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

I don't think either have diminished their value. Chuck was a top 5 scorer before getting hurt. No team wanting to trade for him is going to overlook that. He's been brutal since coming back but that could very well be injury related. His value is as high as it's ever been, slump or no slump.

Beau's got 20+ points so far. He's never going to be the blueliner I thought he was going to be, but he's good on the 2nd pair if you can handle some mental mistakes.

I'm okay trading either one, but if we do it then we'd better make sure we're getting something of value back. And if Beau goes... who the hell replaces him? We don't have puck moving blueliners as it is.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
And what the heck happened after that 13-1 start ? Did Muller forget how to coach?

This is laughable really...

Team starts on fire =Muller

I can also add.

Team starts on fire =Price

habaholic

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Did it kill us long term, no of course not but on the flip side we wasted 3+ years of Price's prime. Our best chance at winning the cup were those years that Price was in his prime, Markov/Plekanec were still contributing, and young guys like Galchenyuk, Gallagher were on cheap ELC.

Had we paid the price and gotten a real top-6 player maybe some of those years we would've had a much better chance at the cup.

His injuries were more a factor in these "wasted" years than the acquisition of those players. It's not like we're talking about core players here.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Beaulieu plays 20 minutes a game. How is that NOT Top-4 ?

He hasn't hit 20 in his last 5 games at least and is currently paired with Nesterov.

Obviously "Top 4" is a fluid concept but in my opinion he isn't locked in there right now. I would like to see him get another shot with Weber - I think his skills are more complementary than Emelin.

As for Galchenyuk, I'm not sure his value has diminished much and injuries play a role. But when you lose the 1C slot to Danault and play wing with DD it seems like showing your cards that the player isn't a rock solid fit in your lineup.

Edit to add: likely my perception is skewed by my sense of fear that MB feels like he has to shake up the roster and I'm not sure he is in a position of strength right now. I may be crazy but I think we are all a little edgy after the last two seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->