TSN 690 & Other Montreal sports media Thread IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
Why should he give away his money just because he has it ? You might have more money than most people in Montreal Why don't you give all your money away to those people ? Giving away money is giving away money if your a billionaire or not

Making a crappy product and increasing prices is a good way to upset your clientele. That is precisely where we are and this type of thing applies in any business model. People will take their money elsewhere.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
You think so ? Hopefully Bergevin sees his firing coming and before it does happen .. Does Pacioretty a favor and trades him to a team with a fan base that respects him as a player and both Bergevin and Pacioretty leave the organization laughing side by side Bergevin all the way to the bank and Pacioretty to a contending team.
I would trade Pacioretty to the Bruins at this point.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Look I'm not happy with how things are going either no one wants to be a fan of a loosing team.. I choose to believe things will get better but others don't and I understand the frustration . Calling the people in management basically stupid and any other negative thing that can be thought of is just wrong ... Truth is I'm a fan and that's all I am just like that's all you are none of us would be qualified to be a General Manager of a NHL Franchise... You can say Bergevin isn't either if you want but he's more qualified than any of us fans .

Well, that is something you cannot be 100% certain of either. I guess it depends on your criteria of what qualifies a person as a GM. If the only requirement is French speaking and former professional hockey player, then you may have a case.

However, the requirements that may be there may not be the right one today. A general manager is more than just a TV personality. A GM should be able to think critically and at a high level. I am not going to scrutinize MB's education and intelligence, but an ideal candidate should have a higher education degree, preferably a Masters, many years of business experience, ideally with contract law experience. Finally, the requisite language requirements, including English since all other 30 GMs speak it, and a passion for hockey and the Canadiens.

I don't know if HF members meet that criteria, but unless you have access to everyone's personal resumes, you can't make that assumption. However, I am certain there has got to be several 100 candidates in Montreal that fit those criteria if we cannot go out and say get BriseBois for example.

The problem with how some fans of the management defend them is they don't think outside of hockey. Hockey is a business and like any business you need top talent to run it effectively. Yes, sometimes luck, financial resources, a good decision or two can mask or work around greater issues, but like any business environment, the NHL environment is also changing. Great businesses change and adapt to their surroundings and this is an area that the team arguably has not done.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
I'm sure the new team will be very happy with Pacioretty It'll be great for everyone involved Habs fans wont have to watch him play The new fans get a player that improves their team . Pacioretty gets away from this mess and most likely has a better chance to win
Mrs Pacioretty? Is that you?

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Some times in a business you have to cut your losses. Firing people who aren’t cutting it is an expense but worth it. How many severance cheques have you issued?

Of course a business needs to make money - and sometimes you take a short term hit for long term success. I’ve never fired someone and thought I did it too early. In almost any case it should have been done earlier for the health of the business.

“I’m not going to bash” - because you are a true fan, right? I knew you would triple down on the Scotsman tack.
So following your logic way of thinking I'm basically an idiot because I don't agree with you . Thanks I could easily say the same about you but I won't because your entitled to your opinion

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Making a crappy product and increasing prices is a good way to upset your clientele. That is precisely where we are and this type of thing applies in any business model. People will take their money elsewhere.
Its funny I've never heard or read anything about Molson holding customers hostage forcing them to pay the prices as high as they are . If fans feel their being cheated maybe they should find other forms of entertainment . Its about supply and demand ... As been pointed out numerous times by others Molson is a billionaire I'm sure his financial advisers know what their doing and telling him the best path to follow for financial success in the short term and long term

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
So following your logic way of thinking I'm basically an idiot because I don't agree with you . Thanks I could easily say the same about you but I won't because your entitled to your opinion

How do you extrapolate that from what I posted? Please parse it out and explain it because I really don’t see it.

I didn’t call you an idiot, I provided a specific opinion and you reply with some sort of reverse ad hominem, taking offence at an insult that wasn’t there, and then call me an idiot on your way out.

What specific parts of my opinion would “easily” allow you to call me an idiot?

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Your not a fan of any team if all you do as a so called fan is dump on the Franchise .. Twisted reasoning or not . Your not a true fan of the Montreal Canadiens if you only support them in the good times . Your opinion on how the team is being run and who is in charge makes you seem like more of a hater of the team than a fan which is most likely true. If your only a fan of the team when things are good you shouldn't call yourself a fan at all.

Again, you're defining who is a fan. Please display your credentials for making this judgement. What is your moral authority for dictating to others 'the only way' to be a fan?

Pretty much everything you wrote is making assumptions about other people who you've never met or even had a friendly internet discussion with. You have no idea about me or likely anyone else on this site, so spare us your narrow minded judgements and naive proclamations.

You are free to support the failures, abject incompetence and the palpable deterioration of the Montreal Canadiens. I'm a fan, so I won't.

Reactions: kgboomer

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
I'm saying that just because someone is more qualified, doesn't mean that they automatically know more than anyone else. If we had that approach, our species would have died out a long time ago.
There is an exception to everything ... Being most qualified does matter

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Again, you're defining who is a fan. Please display your credentials for making this judgement. What is your moral authority for dictating to others 'the only way' to be a fan?

Pretty much everything you wrote is making assumptions about other people who you've never met or even had a friendly internet discussion with. You have no idea about me or likely anyone else on this site, so spare us your narrow minded judgements and naive proclamations.

You are free to support the failures, abject incompetence and the palpable deterioration of the Montreal Canadiens. I'm a fan, so I won't.
Feel free not to support the team if anyone is naïve its you believing it will matter ... I'll support the team as losers and when they become good again ... If others feel like you do that's great too it makes no difference to me .. Try and have a good day .. Lets hope for the best that the Habs start playing better

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Marc Bergevin, Mike Millbury, Dave Nonis, Joe Sakic, Jim Benning, John Ferguson Jr, Rejean Houle, Pierre Gauthier.

That is one second of thought to come up with a list of utterly incompetent and terrible "Qualified" Hockey GMs.
You just named General Managers who are doing poorly or who weren't very good... What does that prove ? I'm not following your thinking ? Explain if you want to ? I guess your saying they aren't qualified ? I can name you twice as many that were in the history of the league Bergevin gets dumped on but he is qualified since 2012 Montreal have a record of 211 wins 134 loses 39 ovtl 3 division titles playing in 1 conference final.. List of others that were qualified Patrick ,Holland , Lamoriello , Torrey , Sather , Fletcher , Yzerman , Armstrong , Poile , Lecroix , Bowman , Lombardi , Rutherford , Pollack , and many more .. Including Bergevin .. Say all you want he isn't but wins and loses say his teams were good.. Playoffs you'll argue I'm sure .. There are 3 teams that have won the cup since 2012 if you believe Bergevin isn't qualified neither are the General Managers of the other teams that haven't won the cup since 2012...

Last edited:

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
You are all confusing being qualified with being bad. Qualified for a GM position usually means scouting and managerial experience, with either playing or player representation experience on top.

Being qualified for a position does not make one competent though. It means you have sufficient experience to be able to do the job. It doesn't mean you'll do a good job.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Marc Bergevin, Mike Millbury, Dave Nonis, Joe Sakic, Jim Benning, John Ferguson Jr, Rejean Houle, Pierre Gauthier.

That is one second of thought to come up with a list of utterly incompetent and terrible "Qualified" Hockey GMs.

I got to admit I am eating crow on this one, but I gotta throw Chayka on the list.

Very well educated and analytical but no experience puts him on the terribly qualified list. Then again, he was like 26 when he joined the team, so there is no way he could have possibly accumulated any tangible, real-world, business experience despite being an HBA.

He has some foundations though to be a good GM, though he likely won't be employed by Arizona when he gets to that point :)

Reactions: ArsHabs

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I got to admit I am eating crow on this one, but I gotta throw Chayka on the list.

Very well educated and analytical but no experience puts him on the terribly qualified list. Then again, he was like 26 when he joined the team, so there is no way he could have possibly accumulated any tangible, real-world, business experience despite being an HBA.

He has some foundations though to be a good GM, though he likely won't be employed by Arizona when he gets to that point :)

I'm not ready to throw Chayka on that list. He came on board, what, two years ago? It isn't like Arizona was a budding organization. He's got a lot of young players there. I would say the Stepan/Raanta move was really dumb. Probably some youthful inexperience of wanting to accelerate the process and get some wins to 'prove' himself in the eyes of others. We will see how he handles this year with things not going as expected, if he has a third year like his last one, then yep, throw him on the list.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I'm not ready to throw Chayka on that list. He came on board, what, two years ago? It isn't like Arizona was a budding organization. He's got a lot of young players there. I would say the Stepan/Raanta move was really dumb. Probably some youthful inexperience of wanting to accelerate the process and get some wins to 'prove' himself in the eyes of others. We will see how he handles this year with things not going as expected, if he has a third year like his last one, then yep, throw him on the list.

The Stepan/Raanta trade wasn't even all that bad, it just wasn't a trade that Arizona should have made.

Arizona was at rock bottom when he came in and he's generally made a bunch of smart moves. They aren't being well coached though and still have serious organizational holes though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad