Player Discussion Troy Terry

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
This is how the game is played and why being a GM is a tough job - especially in a hard cap environment like the NHL.

This whole “that’s an insulting offer” thing is dumb. It’s negotiations and Verbeek is doing his job

This is also how you lose a player that you’ve heard multiple members of the franchise say they view as future captain material.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
This is also how you lose a player that you’ve heard multiple members of the franchise say they view as future captain material.
Name me an example of a player who actually got bent out of shape like that about a GM submitting an arbitration number though?

Again, this is how the game works and why Verbeek was hired. You cannot just give everyone what they want like Dubas did in Toronto

It’s a hard cap league and the ducks are likely on an internal budget. There are going to be other deals for young players that have to be made - get used to this for a few years

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
There are low offers and then there are insulting offers. I’m fine with going low as Terry went high but 4.5 is way too low when his comparables are much higher than 4.5. This offer almost screams that the Ducks don’t actually want Terry.

Reactions: GermanRocket7

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Name me an example of a player who actually got bent out of shape like that about a GM submitting an arbitration number though?

Again, this is how the game works and why Verbeek was hired. You cannot just give everyone what they want like Dubas did in Toronto

It’s a hard cap league and the ducks are likely on an internal budget. There are going to be other deals for young players that have to be made - get used to this for a few years

“According to 10 years worth of results provided by the NHLPA, 27 players have gone to an arbitration hearing since 2009. Within three years, 21 of those players were on different teams. And often it doesn’t even take that long — 16 of the 27 were on new teams within two years and 14 of the 27 were on new teams within one year.”

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
Guys, this is standard. It isn’t like MLB where the number they select is one of the numbers submitted. They split the numbers with would come in the mid 6. 6.5-7 is completely reasonable.

Reactions: duxfan1101 and Kalv

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
There are low offers and then there are insulting offers. I’m fine with going low as Terry went high but 4.5 is way too low when his comparables are much higher than 4.5. This offer almost screams that the Ducks don’t actually want Terry.
Terry is a nice kid with skill. I like him a lot. But this is part of the business. We already have a couple undersized top players in zegras and drysdale. GM PV wants to get bigger. If we end up trading Terry at some point in a hockey deal. In that deal, GM PV will get back exactly what he wants in the deal. Or he gets locked up for 6.7 long term and that’s the end

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I believe that’s correct. However, I think that since he was the one who filed for arbitration then I believe the Ducks can choose 1 or 2 years, which they’d obviously chose 1 and he’ll still be a RFA.
Wouldn't he still be ufa. 3 year ELC, 3 year Second deal and 1 year arbitration deal would put him at 7 years of service. And UFA. I dont think he had any slide years.

Reveille1984

Dec 3, 2014
Couldn’t we just do 8x 7 -7.5 mil….
Not sure what the issue is here

We're probably going to see a lot of this in the next couple years with the cap supposedly going up by as much as $8M. There's a lot of uncertainty around future total cap figures, so naturally players are going to want a bigger piece of the respective pie while front offices are going to temper expectations.

Honestly I don't think the Ducks have a lot of leverage with either Terry or Zegras given how barren our high-end forward pool is on top of how bad the team is. As we've seen, we have to put a "shitty team cash topper" on our deals to get any free agency interest here. And I'm sure their agents know how critical it is for our rebuild to keep these guys around for the long term.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
A lot depends on how the rest of the league sees Terry. I imagine a lot of teams would be falling over each other to get a shot at Zegras. But I’m not sure the league sees Terry being worth $8m, or even $7m.

John

Hey234

Sponsor
May 7, 2010
Southern California

“According to 10 years worth of results provided by the NHLPA, 27 players have gone to an arbitration hearing since 2009. Within three years, 21 of those players were on different teams. And often it doesn’t even take that long — 16 of the 27 were on new teams within two years and 14 of the 27 were on new teams within one year.”

This is not an answer to the question. These are players who went through with arbitration. Terry and PV have not gone to arbitration yet. These are preliminary numbers. You were asked to prove who "got bent out of shape" from preliminary arbitration numbers. The answer is no one ever.

This is so common and simply the way the process works. In fact, it's great news. Terry submitting 8 mil means he knows he's not worth that. It probably means something in the 6-7 mil range is more likely and that's great news for the Ducks.

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
Not really - Jesper Bratt got 4.15. Great comp for Terry.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Not really - Jesper Bratt got 4.15. Great comp for Terry.

Bratt only had his breakout season in 2021-22. They settled on a $5.45 mil, one-year contract.

In 2022-23, Bratt reproduced his breakout season and earned himself an AAV of $7.875 mil for eight years.

If Bratt is the comp, then we should be offering Terry closer to the $7.875 AAV range since Terry reproduced his breakout season the following year.

Reactions: KelVarnsen

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
Bratt only had his breakout season in 2021-22. They settled on a $5.45 mil, one-year contract.

In 2022-23, Bratt reproduced his breakout season and earned himself an AAV of $7.875 mil for eight years.

If Bratt is the comp, then we should be offering Terry closer to the $7.875 AAV range since Terry reproduced his breakout season the following year.
Bratt was producing similarly to Terry before his breakout seasons. Terry has been a .64 ppg player, pre breakout Bratt was .57. Debrincat has out produced Terry every step of the way and got 4 years @ 7.8. I think Terry will 6.75- 7 million

Reactions: Deuce22

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
Some of you have never negotiated anything and it shows lol There is no insulting number here and these arent offers, they are arbitration numbers.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
If I want to buy a new car and am willing to spend $30K i'm still not gonna start there or even close to it lol. I don't think there's anything to worry about here, but i've thought for a while that Terry would love to play for the Avs one day, but it's really my own hunch haha.

Reactions: AngelDuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad