Player Discussion Troy Terry

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
This is not an answer to the question. These are players who went through with arbitration. Terry and PV have not gone to arbitration yet. These are preliminary numbers. You were asked to prove who "got bent out of shape" from preliminary arbitration numbers. The answer is no one ever.

This is so common and simply the way the process works. In fact, it's great news. Terry submitting 8 mil means he knows he's not worth that. It probably means something in the 6-7 mil range is more likely and that's great news for the Ducks.

My main point was largely if he gets to arbitration.

I don’t think it’s great news that the Ducks are potentially taking Terry to arb. If they sign him long term prior, then no harm no foul.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Bratt was producing similarly to Terry before his breakout seasons. Terry has been a .64 ppg player, pre breakout Bratt was .57. Debrincat has out produced Terry every step of the way and got 4 years @ 7.8. I think Terry will 6.75- 7 million

• Bratt
    • 2020-21: 46 games, 30 points
    • 2021-22: 76 games, 73 points
    Arbitration: low = $4.15 mil, high = $6.5 mil
    • 2022-23: 82 games, 73 points
    Extension: $7.875 mil AAV for 8 years.

• Terry
    • 2020-21: 48 games, 20 points
    • 2021-22: 75 games, 67 points
    • 2022-23: 70 games, 61 points
    Arbitration: low = $4.5 mil, high =$8 mil

The difference was Bratt's arbitration saw a huge spike, but it's only a one year spike. Bratt reproduced his numbers the following year and was rewarded with a $7.875 mil AAV.

With Terry, we know he's producing consistently high for two seasons, instead of a one year spike.

You wrote:
Not really - Jesper Bratt got 4.15. Great comp for Terry.

So NO, this isn't a great comp because Bratt's and Terry's situations are not similar. There should be more talks towards the $7.875 mil AAV end than the $4.5 mil end b/c it's not a flash in the pan production.

DaGeneral

Apr 15, 2012
  • Bratt
    • 2020-21: 46 games, 30 points
    • 2021-22: 76 games, 73 points
    Arbitration: low = $4.15 mil, high = $6.5 mil
    • 2022-23: 82 games, 73 points
    Extension: $7.875 mil AAV for 8 years.

• Terry
    • 2020-21: 48 games, 20 points
    • 2021-22: 75 games, 67 points
    • 2022-23: 70 games, 61 points
    Arbitration: low = $4.5 mil, high =$8 mil

The difference was Bratt's arbitration saw a huge spike, but it's only a one year spike. Bratt reproduced his numbers the following year and was rewarded with a $7.875 mil AAV.

With Terry, we know he's producing consistently high for two seasons, instead of a one year spike.

You wrote:

So NO, this isn't a great comp because Bratt's and Terry's situations are not similar. There should be more talks towards the $7.875 mil AAV end than the $4.5 mil end b/c it's not a flash in the pan production.
You basically ignored my entire take - that Terry did nothing his first 3 years in the league while Bratt was a .54 ppg in that same time.

Reactions: Deuce22

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
It feels like a bad faith negotiation with Terry. PV must not see him as a cornerstone of the team

• Haha
Reactions: MMC

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Wouldn't he still be ufa. 3 year ELC, 3 year Second deal and 1 year arbitration deal would put him at 7 years of service. And UFA. I dont think he had any slide years.

If the 2 games in 17-18 count towards free agency?

I'm going to just stop at this point because I don't know enough about it and don't want to spread any misinformation if I'm wrong :laugh:. I just remember what I heard and read, but it may be likely that his 2 NHL games count as a year of service to incentivize college kids to come out? Someone smarter than me can help...please lol.

nbducksfan19

Jun 4, 2008
It feels like a bad faith negotiation with Terry. PV must not see him as a cornerstone of the team

That seems like a pretty big reach to get to that conclusion.

Cronin described Terry in the most glowing of terms, it would seem a pretty big disconnect for PV to feel Meh on a guy who his new head coach loves.

Oct 18, 2011
That number from Anaheim is a joke based on the current market. This dude goes and overpays for his old lightning guys then makes insulting offers for the actual good players we have that had to play on hid soft garbage roster last season

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
That seems like a pretty big reach to get to that conclusion.

Cronin described Terry in the most glowing of terms, it would seem a pretty big disconnect for PV to feel Meh on a guy who his new head coach loves.
If you want Terry to sign a lower contract than he wants then you get him to buy into the vision of the team and the potential future success. You could also mention post career opportunities. You dont go through arbitration and low ball because that creates bad blood. If he was a cornerstone player PV would do whatever he can to help him understand the reasonings and appease him because he is vital to the team long term. Treating him like this shows he is replaceable in the teams big picture.

Reactions: KelVarnsen

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC

Bratts not a bad comp. Tage Thompson also not a bad comp.

I wouldnt be surprised if he ended up being in the low to mid 7's at the end of the day. Term will be the interesting part.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
It would be hard to go over $7m and 7 years for Terry.

I’m not sure he could get more than $7m as a FA and he’ll be 32, almost 33, at the end of 7 years. I could see it going to $50m over 7 years, but it would be a tough sell beyond that.

The one unknown is the playoffs. Without any playoff experience it is impossible to know if he steps up or disappears.

John

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
That number from Anaheim is a joke based on the current market. This dude goes and overpays for his old lightning guys then makes insulting offers for the actual good players we have that had to play on hid soft garbage roster last season
Not a good take actually, as the two groups of players serve two different purposes. Overpaid "old Lighting guys" serve a purpose to help a transition from dog-shit to regular playoff appearence, while Terry et. al. serve a purpose to contend. For teams to successfully contend first pre-requisite is, due to cap system, loyalty in a sense of signing team friendly deals, which is something Verbeek will likely try to establish.

Last edited:

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Zegras is much more likely to get an 8 million dollar deal than Terry and always has been.

Terry is the better player right this moment but there are considerable differences between the 2 in terms of age and what they’ve accomplished

Terry is about to be 26 and was drafted 8 years ago now. He has 2 impactful seasons as a 60-70 point player

Zegras is 22 and was drafted 4 seasons ago. He has 2 impactful seasons as a 65 point player

I believe there is still room for Terry to get better but there’s definitely more room for Zegras to improve just based on age. It’s an easier argument for an agent, that’s for sure

There’s an argument that Verbeek can present that suggests Terry has reached his prime already. Although I personally don’t agree

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Not a good take actually, as the two groups of players serve two different purposes. Overpaid "old Lighting guys" serve a purpose to help a transition from dog-shit to regular playoff appearence, while Terry et. al. serve a purpose to contend. For teams to successfully contend first pre-requisite is, due to cap system, loyalty in a sense of signing team friendly deals, which is something Verbeek will likely try to establish.
PV might encounter some persuadability problems given that arguably the two worst seasons in franchise history both just happened under PV's watch. People should remember that "show me" is not just something that teams say to players--the reverse can happen, too.

Cronin might be a good ambassador for PV in that respect this summer if he can show the players a concrete path towards whatever vision PV has communicated to them, if any.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
I'd be looking at either

7 years @ 7.142mil (50mil)
8 years @ 6.875mil (55mil)

Or if PV really doesn't want to do something with that much term

6 years @ 7.333mil (44mil)

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
You basically ignored my entire take - that Terry did nothing his first 3 years in the league while Bratt was a .54 ppg in that same time.

You are ignoring WHEN the arbitration takes place, which I conveniently laid out chronologically.

The Devils didn't ignore it. They used it because they thought his 2021-22 season was a flash fluke. Bratt reproduced the 2021-22 the next year to show the production wasn't a fluke. Two seasons to establish consistency netted Bratt an eight year extension at an AAV of $7.875 mil.

Let's establish that Bratt producing at a high clip for two consecutive seasons is the reason why he landed his $7.875 mil contract. Otherwise, using your logic, that AAV should be much lower because of his first three years at only a 0.54 ppg rate.

You can't have it both ways.

Terry produced at a high rate for two consecutive seasons. His production is not a flash in the pan. Thus, his salary should be viewed similarly to Bratt's.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I think folks are getting a little too upset over the 4.5 million part. Should clarify that the team did not offer him 4.5 million it’s just part of the arbitration process. Team sets the bar very low and the player sets it very high.

I'm not sure Terry set the high end high enough if this is a game of meet me in the middle, especially with how low the low end was presented.

Reactions: 70sSanO
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Zegras is much more likely to get an 8 million dollar deal than Terry and always has been.

Terry is the better player right this moment but there are considerable differences between the 2 in terms of age and what they’ve accomplished

Terry is about to be 26 and was drafted 8 years ago now. He has 2 impactful seasons as a 60-70 point player

Zegras is 22 and was drafted 4 seasons ago. He has 2 impactful seasons as a 65 point player

I believe there is still room for Terry to get better but there’s definitely more room for Zegras to improve just based on age. It’s an easier argument for an agent, that’s for sure

There’s an argument that Verbeek can present that suggests Terry has reached his prime already. Although I personally don’t agree
Yeah the more I think about the more I wonder if they're taking a hard look at the downside risk on Terry. You give 7M plus to a super late bloomer whose goal scoring has been wildly inconsistent and who has documented confidence-spiral issues? A guy who's going to be mid-30s at the end of the deal?

His camp will have answers for all of that, plus he's a coach's dream and a leadership candidate, but there's legitimate room for concern on management's part. Like TMDM pointed out, if there was a deal to be made in the $7M range, why haven't they just made it already.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Yeah the more I think about the more I wonder if they're taking a hard look at the downside risk on Terry. You give 7M plus to a super late bloomer whose goal scoring has been wildly inconsistent and who has documented confidence-spiral issues? A guy who's going to be mid-30s at the end of the deal?

His camp will have answers for all of that, plus he's a coach's dream and a leadership candidate, but there's legitimate room for concern on management's part. Like TMDM pointed out, if there was a deal to be made in the $7M range, why haven't they just made it already.
Im sorry what is this about?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad