Sportsnet: Trouba requests trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
At no point in time has Gardiner ever been as good as Trouba, that's why TO would be adding.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Maatta for Trouba.

Call it a day. Its a perfectly even trade. Maatta mentors Laine, same age, Stanley Cup Champion and signed to 6 years at 4.1m. Same draft year. Top4 d already.

Trouba would slot in behind Letang as a RD. American coach would love to get his hands on a young American D with a higher ceiling. Actually, Sullivan doesnt seem to be a big fan of Maatta given that he was a healthy scratch for 3 games in playoffs against TBL. Perhaps management may see this as an opportunity to get a player they may like more. Adding size is a plus for the Pens.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Up until this past season.

Trouba was also scratched at the World Cup and played very limited minutes.

The longer the Jets hang on to an unhappy Trouba, the more likely it is his development stalls and the assets value decreases.

He's always been one of my favourite young defencemen but I'm not trading Gardiner++ for him.
Trouba this past season spent a bunch of time playing top pair on his off side and doing quite well with it. Gardiner has never thrived in a comparable situation. Gardiner belongs on a second pair and that's all he'll ever be. Trouba is better and has potential to be much better.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
This Leaf fan would absolutely add to Gardiner in a Trouba deal. I wouldnt blink at a Gardiner and Kapanen centric offer. I think Trouba has massive upside. I'd honestly love to have him, but competition for his services is inevitable...

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
This.

Gardiner has never been on Trouba's level.

Gardiner's rookie year was elite, he had some crazy high expectations but fell off the next year because of a concussion issue. He was never the same consistent player as his rookie season but always showed glimpses. This past season he looked amazing and was consistent and looks to keep getting better every game.

This is why some fans think Gardiner is better. As of right now Gardiner is for sure better than Trouba. But I think Trouba will be better in the future, which is why I would add to Gardiner

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Trouba for Gubranson 1 for 1

Add late picks or low prospects to balance out if necessary

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Gardiner's rookie year was elite, he had some crazy high expectations but fell off the next year because of a concussion issue. He was never the same consistent player as his rookie season but always showed glimpses. This past season he looked amazing and was consistent and looks to keep getting better every game.

This is why some fans think Gardiner is better. As of right now Gardiner is for sure better than Trouba. But I think Trouba will be better in the future, which is why I would add to Gardiner

He isnt better no, it would have to be a substantial add. Trouba has mean top pairing potential and is already a mean 2nd pair D man that has played first pairing minutes. Which with the leafs depth of prospects and lacking right handed D it should be a no brianer. Its a deal that actually makes sense for both teams.

Gardiner, Kapanen, Lindberg, 2nd for Trouba

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Maatta for Trouba.

Call it a day. Its a perfectly even trade. Maatta mentors Laine, same age, Stanley Cup Champion and signed to 6 years at 4.1m. Same draft year. Top4 d already.

Trouba would slot in behind Letang as a RD. American coach would love to get his hands on a young American D with a higher ceiling. Actually, Sullivan doesnt seem to be a big fan of Maatta given that he was a healthy scratch for 3 games in playoffs against TBL. Perhaps management may see this as an opportunity to get a player they may like more. Adding size is a plus for the Pens.

As a jets fan I'd do this in a heartbeat. I'd even throw in Stafford or Petan/Armia/Dano as a kicker to get it done.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
He isnt better no, it would have to be a substantial add. Trouba has mean top pairing potential and is already a mean 2nd pair D man that has played first pairing minutes. Which with the leafs depth of prospects and lacking right handed D it should be a no brianer. Its a deal that actually makes sense for both teams.

Gardiner, Kapanen, Lindberg, 2nd for Trouba

"Top pairing potential". I said Gardiner is better than Trouba right now... Gardiner is currently a top 60 dman in the NHL. Trouba is currently a top 90. Do you disagree with anything I have said so far?

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
"Top pairing potential". I said Gardiner is better than Trouba right now... Gardiner is currently a top 60 dman in the NHL. Trouba is currently a top 90. Do you disagree with anything I have said so far?
Gardiner is not better than Trouba right now. Gardiner makes tons of mistakes with the puck and still has lapses defensively where he misses assignments. Gardiner is slightly better offensively right now....that's it. Trouba is substantially better at every other aspect of hockey.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Gardiner is not better than Trouba right now. Gardiner makes tons of mistakes with the puck and still has lapses defensively where he misses assignments. Gardiner is slightly better offensively right now....that's it. Trouba is substantially better at every other aspect of hockey.

Exaggerate much? Like I said before, consistency was Gardiner's biggest issue. The last game you probably watched was 2014-2015 season, because this season's Gardiner doesn't make as many screw ups as you think

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015

gardiner too many mistakes has 293 giveaways in 325 games, trouba has 229 giveaways in 211 games, hmmmm...

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
gardiner too many mistakes has 293 giveaways in 325 games, trouba has 229 giveaways in 211 games, hmmmm...

Giveaways aren't a good metric for mistakes from a defenseman.

Unless you think PK Subban, Brent Burns and Drew Doughty were the three most mistake prone defenseman in the NHL last year.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Giveaways aren't a good metric for mistakes from a defenseman.

Unless you think PK Subban, Brent Burns and Drew Doughty were the three most mistake prone defenseman in the NHL last year.

those are puck carrying dman though so it makes sense that players who have the puck the most, that move the puck the most give it away the most too. giveaways arent the best indicator sure but its not a bad one by any means.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Trouba this past season spent a bunch of time playing top pair on his off side and doing quite well with it. Gardiner has never thrived in a comparable situation. Gardiner belongs on a second pair and that's all he'll ever be. Trouba is better and has potential to be much better.

I always enjoy these posts. One young player is capped out on potential, the other has all the time in the world.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
It was a bad decision not to give up Nurse for Hamilton then and it would be an even worse decision not to give up Nurse++ for Trouba. Trouba is an established top pairing two-way RHD. He's better than Rielly, Larsson, Ristolainen, etc. Leafs fans and Oilers fans and everyone else likes to **** on this guy because Jets fans can be kinda annoying sometimes, but Trouba is the real deal and he's become ridiculously underrated on HF.

This is how I tend to see it. I'd say he's about even with all of these guys but the point in general stands.

Oct 18, 2011

there are not 60 legit top pair dmen in the league however, this is a silly argument it's like when people try to argue anyone who's a top 30 dman, is a legit no.1...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad