Proposal: Trouba Mega thread Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I agree, but not all jets fans agree. But all the offers to date have been just low ball or for play type of offers.......the real offers haven't even started yet.....Chevy will start getting those I expect around the middle of November.

I would bet Chevy has seen plenty of solid offers. Many teams are interested in young 2nd pairing RHD's with top pairing potential. With the amount of time that has passed, I think he has seen market value offers. From here offers only get worse. The Jets could have had Chychrun with a big plus 6 weeks ago, as an example. Now they might not get him straight up for Trouba based on him making the Coyotes and playing well as an 18 year old. Cap/expansion/rosters set now, all point to a lower return for Trouba.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Miller + Skjei + pick

I'm obviously in the minority, but I actually don't mind the offer as much as other Jets fans. I think Miller and Skjei are both being underrated here. IMO Miller has 25-25 ability while providing versatility (can play all F positions). I also believe Skjei has top 4 ability and have watched a lot of him since before he was drafted, so I'm probably a lot more aware of his abilities and expectations, than most Jets fans. He's also expansion exempt, which would allow the Jets to protect 7/3/1.

IMO the odds of the Jets getting an equal LD is very unlikely. Might as well explore other options.

Both are decent players, no questions but not enough quality overall. Bottom 4 potential on Skjei, not exciting IMO. Miller middle six forward, is decent but just not enough IMO.

I could see a similar type of trade if one or both had more potential. IMO that's a B level offer at best, not horrible just not super interesting either. Picks aren't interesting to us we have more prospects then we can play.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I would bet Chevy has seen plenty of solid offers. Many teams are interested in young 2nd pairing RHD's with top pairing potential. With the amount of time that has passed, I think he has seen market value offers. From here offers only get worse. The Jets could have had Chychrun with a big plus 6 weeks ago, as an example. Now they might not get him straight up for Trouba based on him making the Coyotes and playing well as an 18 year old. Cap/expansion/rosters set now, all point to a lower return for Trouba.

NHL is a deadline driven league, no reason for anyone to put their best offer forward yet. The fact Chevy hasn't pulled the trigger on any of the many offers yet, testifies none have been good enough yet.

Fans only can speculate, Chevy is the only one person who knows what all the offers have been.....none have been good enough yet. Clearly he expects better offers or will force Trouba to sign/sit. Completely agree with Chevy. No team is getting Trouba for 50 or 75 cents on the dollar, we will get full value or Trouba will play in the Peg. Otherwise a deal would of been done months ago

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
Both are decent players, no questions but not enough quality overall. Bottom 4 potential on Skjei, not exciting IMO. Miller middle six forward, is decent but just not enough IMO.

I could see a similar type of trade if one or both had more potential. IMO that's a B level offer at best, not horrible just not super interesting either. Picks aren't interesting to us we have more prospects then we can play.

Like I said, I'm in the minority.

We obviously have a difference in player evaluations, as it relates Miller and Skjei.

Just curious, but how much of the 2 have you watched?

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Rangers are pretty desperate for a solid RHD (if they aren't then they should be). I just hope it doesn't cost a 1st as we haven't had one in a while.

I've heard proposals with Skjei and Miller include McIlrath as a throw in. An odd fact is that these are the 3 most recent 1st round picks by the rangers.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
NHL is a deadline driven league, no reason for anyone to put their best offer forward yet. The fact Chevy hasn't pulled the trigger on any of the many offers yet, testifies none have been good enough yet.

Fans only can speculate, Chevy is the only one person who knows what all the offers have been.....none have been good enough yet. Clearly he expects better offers or will force Trouba to sign/sit. Completely agree with Chevy. No team is getting Trouba for 50 or 75 cents on the dollar, we will get full value or Trouba will play in the Peg. Otherwise a deal would of been done months ago

If I wanted Trouba, I wouldn't pitch my best offer now. Chevy would just use that as a minimum return for other suitors to beat. Like you said, it is a deadline driven league. Chevy will get the real offers in three weeks.

Russian Factor

Jan 8, 2015
Pittsburgh
What LHD would even be available to fit what the Jets want? Don't think much...

Jets fans don't seem keen on it, but Maatta genuinely seems like the best fit. Even if Jets fans want better/more, that seems like a logical swap if one does end up taking place. That's not me saying value is necessarily fair (I don't think it's far off though), it's me saying if Trouba is dealt I could see that deal being struck.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Jets fans don't seem keen on it, but Maatta genuinely seems like the best fit. Even if Jets fans want better/more, that seems like a logical swap if one does end up taking place. That's not me saying value is necessarily fair (I don't think it's far off though), it's me saying if Trouba is dealt I could see that deal being struck.

It's the fact that Määttä is constantly injured for whatever reason.

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg

I'd want a solid +. I think the difference in value (even including AAV) between Trouba and Maatta is fairly significant. Maatta is paid less, but that's because he's not as good as Trouba.

airgordo

Feb 4, 2015
Here's what I'd do if I'm Winnipeg's GM:

I wait until November 30 and offer Trouba an 850k contract. If he wants to play this year, he will sign it. This sky rockets his trade value and the Jets get a bigger return.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015

Miller has top line potential just so you know. First full season in the NHL last season, 43 points and he is a very good twoway player, works extremely hard. 6 points in 8 games this season and he plays on the 3rd line and doesnt get alot of pp time. Skjei is already a bottom 4 defensemen and is 22. Can easily turn into a good top 4 or decent #2 with time. Great skater. I understand if you dont want to make the trade but atleast get the facts right.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
Miller has top line potential just so you know. First full season in the NHL last season, 43 points and he is a very good twoway player, works extremely hard. 6 points in 8 games this season and he plays on the 3rd line and doesnt get alot of pp time. Skjei is already a bottom 4 defensemen and is 22. Can easily turn into a good top 4 or decent #2 with time. Great skater. I understand if you dont want to make the trade but atleast get the facts right.

The Jets are stacked at forward with top line players and players with similar potential as it is.

They are also running a 21 y/o rookie in their top D pair and wouldn't likely wish to run another rookie behind Enstrom in the 5/6 spot.

Two mid-liners (that they do not need) fails to replace Trouba's value as an individual in their lineup.

Last edited:

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
There is none.

I will translate it for you.

We demand something that is not not there, so sign or rot.

That is pretty much it. Jets just look at it like he is injured for the year and life moves on. Will he recover and play next year? Who knows? In the mean time they concentrate on the players who are happy to wear the Jets jersey. There is a reason that the CBA exists.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

Both are a bit of a stretch to say both will reach the max limit of their ceiling.....that's like me saying will be a #1D. Trouba is already a #2D by most hockey experts opinions.

Miller is a two way middle six guy, Skjei will never be top pairing.....maybe top 4 once he develops. So again it's multi smaller pieces for one big piece, not horrible but not likely the best offer either. And this all assumes Chevy moves off his original demand, if he doesn't, Skjei isn't even close to Chevy's demand.

Notice I never insulted either player.....just stated my opinion. I would take both in a second, just not for Trouba.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
The Jets are stacked at forward with top line players and players with similar potential as it is.

They are also running a 21 y/o rookie in their top D pair and wouldn't likely wish to run another rookie behind Enstrom in the 5/6 spot.

Two mid-liners (that they do not need) fails to replace Trouba's value as an individual in their lineup.

Bingo

Skjei sure isn't replacing Toby or Josh on the left side. Miller just offers us nothing we don't have already unless you turned around and made another big trade like trading Little so there's a spot for Miller. I suspect that won't happen, jets might end up resigning Little in two years.

BleedinBLUEsince92

Oct 30, 2009
Northern NJ

The problem with this is "full value" is completely subjective. For example if Winnipeg is insisting on a LHD similar to Trouba's potential in the deal. What if there is no team that offers that? Do you just keep him and let him sit or do you take the best offer. Who knows and no one does. I remember when Nash asked for a trade. Every blue jackets fan said no deal would be happening unless guys like Kreider, Del Zotto, etc where included. That didn't happen. Most of the times fans expect home run returns for their player.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Here's what I'd do if I'm Winnipeg's GM:

I wait until November 30 and offer Trouba an 850k contract. If he wants to play this year, he will sign it. This sky rockets his trade value and the Jets get a bigger return.

of coarse they have to pay him in the 2.5 million range this doesn't make any sense.

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg
Currently we have Mathieu Perreault as our 2C. I like the guy, but he's pretty fragile. Miller would be an upgrade over him and provide versatility when Little returns. IMO Miller also projects to be a similar talent to Bryan Little. Skjei isn't far behind Morrissey in his development. He won't be an offensive guy, but he's better defensively.

airgordo

Feb 4, 2015
of coarse they have to pay him in the 2.5 million range this doesn't make any sense.

Why do they need to pay him any more than the minimum if he doesn't want to play for them?

"Do you want to play hockey this year, or not?"

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
The problem with this is "full value" is completely subjective. For example if Winnipeg is insisting on a LHD similar to Trouba's potential in the deal. What if there is no team that offers that? Do you just keep him and let him sit or do you take the best offer. Who knows and no one does. I remember when Nash asked for a trade. Every blue jackets fan said no deal would be happening unless guys like Kreider, Del Zotto, etc where included. That didn't happen. Most of the times fans expect home run returns for their player.

Already posted on this multi times. I never lhd is the only way to get full value, I've stated many times Chevy might not, but doesn't mean he doesn't get full value. My point is any deal Chevy makes won't be for 3-4 minors pieces/picks like many of these offers are.....it will be quality for quality or Trouba will be forced to sit or sign. Nash is totally different, different ages, different Era in the NHL, not even comparable now.

Imo there will be a trade before Dec 1st, will be for a lhd or BPA I'm not sure......but it won't be 50-75 cents on the dollar.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Why do they need to pay him any more than the minimum if he doesn't want to play for them?

"Do you want to play hockey this year, or not?"

with bonuses last year probably got around 2 mill -2.5 mill. then jets qualified him witch means the have to give him a 10% raise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad